• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Picture this, a united Scandinavia (me), France, and the UK, against Germany, Russia, and some other minors, it's about 1905ish. The war began with Germany attacking me to get back the northern half of Holstein I had taken a decade or so ago when they were at war with France. My first move is to send the army I have guarding the border with Germany into Kiel, and at first Germany sends everything against France and all I'm facing is around 100,000 troops, but while I'm juggling troops along the Russian border, I notice that the battle in Kiel has jumped from 150k-100k to 150,000 vs 350,000. I pause and mobilize, sending a just-finished stack to the Russian border, the first clump of reserves arrive in my army center and I send them off, 350,000 to 550,000, another wave and we're neck and neck at around 500k each. France starts making headway while the UK does its usual thing of covering every province in Britain with troops. I then get a notice that the USA has joined the Great War... on our side! Naturally they immediately set about doing nothing, seeing as I already have naval superiority thanks to my and the UK's fleets. The war goes on for another year or so, I forget, but when peace is declared, that battle in Kiel was still raging. I won and actually got most of Germany's colonies. Less than half a year later I invent tanks, better late than never?
I'm not completely certain as to the casualties of the battle at Kiel, but I fed all but around 100,000 of my reserves into it and I was getting nervous as to whether my army would hold nearing when peace was concluded. I also noted a battle between France and Germany that put the participating German troop total at over 1,000,000, and France was roughly equal.

A million troops from both sides? When did a battle like that happen in real life?

A million troops from both sides? When did a battle like that happen in real life?
When did Scandinavia unite in real life? And didn't you know that this was the Second Great War as the first ended in a white peace?
This was with APD, and I raised the province supply limits because I was tired of seeing stacks being devoured by attrition.

Many battles of the First World War were more than a million men on each side.. like Somme, Verdun, Passchendaele and so on. Of course these battles were spread out over an area, but so too are they in Victoria.

Casualties includes wounded and missing soldiers as well, let's not forget.

For those wondering about the historical veracity, look at the Battle of Caporetto, a WW1 battle which saw over 800,000 Italian casualties.

In a USA-Britain War I've taken out 45 brigades in a two provence encirclement. That might not seem like much but it opened up wide all of Eastern Canada to occupation. The units were not at full strength. These armies were involved in the Northeastern and Midwestern offensives. Of all of my northern border states only Minnesota and Michigan and half of New York weren't occupied.

I am playing Spain right now and this is how I crushed the much stronger France and Russia in a great war (I was allied with UK and USA but I knew all they do is keep the enemy navies busy). It was a bit of a gamble but turned out much better than I tought.

1. I occupied the french Pyrenees (3 provinces) with smaller armies, kept the majority of my force in Spanish territory. France (and allies) will attacked immediately to defend their territory and kept stacking up.

3. Mountains have very small combat width so I knew I can hold them forever with a small force of 50 - 100k soldiers each, switching them out with fresh armies whenever needed.

4. At some point the whole allied army was fighting my in the Pyrenees. They had some of my Asian territory occupied and some fighting was going on in Africa but that was all a joke in comparison.

5. Once I felt like there is not more of them coming, I moved an army behind them, occupied the territory behind the fighting and the entire French Pyrenees were encircled. I didn't want to occupy France as I just had enough force to deal with 1 surprise army coming down from Belgium and Russia.

I did this in 1907 - France, Russia and Belgium moved about 90% of their armies, 1.5 million men into the mountains, slowly bleeding to death. Fighting went on until 1913 and then France went bankrupt and disintegrated. Good times for Spain, my armies now all got some crazy experience.

I will give it another go in 1927.

**will add screen shots later