• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

calvinhobbeslik

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Nov 29, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Of course, the obvious answer is to make a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, but there are a few problems:

1. The Philippines and the East Indies, for example, are controlled by Spain and the Netherlands, countries that will likely be allied with the UK or Russia or some other strong European power. Even if not, I can't get enough warscore to take them without invading the mainland

2. I know it's not hard to beat China with fewer numbers when you're westernised but they're not, but most of the GPs will be friendly with China, so won't they intervene when I try to conquer it?

3. Even in SE Asia, Johore, Siam, and Burma will be sphered by the UK by the time I civilise.

So, how do you guys play Japan?

Simple really, you westernise(annex Brunei while waiting to do so) and then you rise to GP status through industrial score. Once you hit GP, pour all your influence into china and get as many GPs as possible to hostile. You then justify a war against china and kick ass with your superior tech. Your first war should be to capture Taiwan, and unpuppet Korea. 2nd war, annex Korea, if China joins the war, nab Port Arthur. You should have Nat+Imperialism by then, so then you go and annex Vietnam, Cambodia and Luang prabang. I then focused on allying a European GP in the hope of being dragged into a great war, and sure enough I got one by allying with Germany. Spain was in the great war and I went and added the war goals, while occupying them.

I was actually considering annexing Dai Nam before civilising instead, so I have a land border with China. However, they may be allied with China...

How quickly is Hawaii sphered by the US? I want to be the one to colonise all the pacific islands.

And what year can you westernise by?

Edit: Will countries will ally you and honour it if you're above the infamy limit(as I probably will be if I want to conquer all of China)?

Don't annex any populous nations before you westernise-they will drag down your literacy, save them for when you get n+I. You can usually westernise by 1850ish. Hawaii is sphered pretty quickly by th US. The trick with Japan is puppets, annex a substate and then release as a puppet, they make handy buffer states and produce loads of troops

Don't annex any populous nations before you westernise-they will drag down your literacy, save them for when you get n+I. You can usually westernise by 1850ish. Hawaii is sphered pretty quickly by th US. The trick with Japan is puppets, annex a substate and then release as a puppet, they make handy buffer states and produce loads of troops

Can't I just puppet them directly after I annex China?

Johore is a really good one to annex beofre you westernise, I always do with Japan. Its population is low enough the literacy won't take you down too far, but its also rather easy to get the clergy level up, so that won't matter for very long. You will have a land border with UK, but thats easy enough to deal with by raising relations. Preferrably before you even annex.

Its a total pain to raise soldiers from annexed substates though, puppets make it way easier. Also, I find it really amusing when you declare war on someone and your vassal hordes pour into the enemy and murder them >: D

To answer that, are you playing under the Infamy Limit, or are you just going crazy and conquer?

I don't mind surpassing the limit, but only if I can not get destroyed by the containment wars(so basically, none of that until civilised and probably in possession of many Chinese regions, giving me a larger army than in India or Siberia)

All my advice would be for playing under (or near) the Infamy Limit, so it may not be of much help. But genreally in both cases, Korea and Indonesia are good to get early ... without the fear of invoking a war with a GP.