• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I feel like everyone is taking this all too seriously. I just want to play CK2 while wearing a plastic viking helmet, swill beer, and shout barbarous absurdities as I convert Europe to the Norse religion one dang county at a time. Is that so wrong?

I just want my Wendish empire, or any slavic pagan nation really. Praise Svetovid, Radegast, and Perun!
hehe, Yeah, I really hope they add a historical date for the Teutonic and the Lithuanian conflict with a pagan expansion. but my own goal would be to spread the pagan religion (Norse in my case) from a minority to overcome the christian church :p

I feel like everyone is taking this all too seriously. I just want to play CK2 while wearing a plastic viking helmet, swill beer, and shout barbarous absurdities as I convert Europe to the Norse religion one dang county at a time. Is that so wrong?

Not really. But, some of us take it very seriously, especially when it comes to modding. On my portrait set, for instance, I put over 400 hours into it, which is far past the dozen or so hours I've played the game.

Pagan empires that would emerge in a Pagan DLC would be dramatically unhistorical.

Because it's soooo historical when Nubians conquer all of Egypt and the Arabian Peninsula in the period of this game, and it's soooo historical to see a Breton WC.

C'mon dude.

I thought the game was meant so you could change history I am definitely for a Pagan DLC I would love to see Europe Taken over by the pagans instead of the other way around. If they do a DLC they would have to be more specific about the different pagan religions.

For the Pagans during this period, yes. Clearly the same wouldn't be said about the vibrant pagan cultures of Rome, Greece and Persia.

However, I think to do this properly the devs would have to employ mechanics to reflect the tribal nature of Pagan societies. For example the duchies would have to be local tribes, making Kingdoms more of a tribal confederation. These duchies would probably employ the tribal name mechanic the Muslims will be using. You wouldn't have "laws" to influence tax and levies like the christians do, instead you would probably have a prestige system similar to the Muslim decadence system. Another issue could be the difficulty in holding on to Christian and Muslim lands. Generally Pagan invasions were done for ransoms and slave raids, not for territorial gain. CBs and revolt risks would have to reflect that.

Sounds like an Elective Monarchy.

For the Pagans during this period, yes. Clearly the same wouldn't be said about the vibrant pagan cultures of Rome, Greece and Persia.

However, I think to do this properly the devs would have to employ mechanics to reflect the tribal nature of Pagan societies. For example the duchies would have to be local tribes, making Kingdoms more of a tribal confederation. These duchies would probably employ the tribal name mechanic the Muslims will be using. You wouldn't have "laws" to influence tax and levies like the christians do, instead you would probably have a prestige system similar to the Muslim decadence system. Another issue could be the difficulty in holding on to Christian and Muslim lands. Generally Pagan invasions were done for ransoms and slave raids, not for territorial gain. CBs and revolt risks would have to reflect that.
This would not be true for the Norse Pagans they had Kingdoms way before they became Christians. And when they did it was more a matter of not being trampled by their Christian Neighbours than piety.

On the discussion of the Viking word, just read this. I also resent the whole 'only Odin and Thor' thing that one insulting poster (I'm looking at you Voy) made up.

That said, one feature I would absolutely adore in a pagan DLC would be to organise your religion, and perhaps even be able to swallow other pagan religions into your own. Christian society was very intolerant (and still is in some cases), but a pagan society does not have to be like that, in fact it could very likely be very open. Of course it could become intolerant, but it would be cool if it was not a pre-determined thing. Perhaps Asetro simple becomes so tolerant that it merges with the Finnish pantheon of gods.

On the discussion of the Viking word, just read this. I also resent the whole 'only Odin and Thor' thing that one insulting poster (I'm looking at you Voy) made up.

That said, one feature I would absolutely adore in a pagan DLC would be to organise your religion, and perhaps even be able to swallow other pagan religions into your own. Christian society was very intolerant (and still is in some cases), but a pagan society does not have to be like that, in fact it could very likely be very open. Of course it could become intolerant, but it would be cool if it was not a pre-determined thing. Perhaps Asetro simple becomes so tolerant that it merges with the Finnish pantheon of gods.

That is an interesting idea. And didn't some pagan societies of the ancient world take gods from other religions and incorporated them into their own religion.

Well so did Christianity Where do you think the word Beelzubub came from? It was a deity in Babylon.
Christianity made them into demons, pagans sometimes actually put them up as gods. One incorporates it as a weapon of intolerance, one incorporates it out of tolerance and 'hey that might be true too'-sentiment. Two very different ways to go about it.

I believe at times Christianity incorporated them as angels and saints as well.

And for another less than tolerant example, the Hindu term for gods roughly corresponds to the zoroastrian term for demons, and the zoroastrian term for angels roughly corresponds to the Hindu term for demons.

EDIT: I really don't think it was done so much out if tolerance as because the idea of other people worshipping gods that didn't exist seemed a lot sillier than the idea of other people worshipping gods that you didn't previously know about.

I don't know, I'd quite dig playing as a Norse Emperor of Scandinavia. Plus there could be Druidism in the British Isles, and there's that Russian pagan faith whose name escaped me at the moment....

Honestly, if they could do all of them and lump in Judaism (maybe call it Crusader Kings II: The Many Gods?), I'd buy that DLC.

Amen (lol) to that! Although I think it's funny that the vast majority of posts are about the Norse Pagans, when it was really the Tengri Cumans, Pechenegs, and Mongols who had the biggest impact during the CK2 period. They actually have an excellent chance of surviving and prospering through the game. As a side note, maybe if they improve all religions they could add Judaism in as well. If I'm not mistaken the Khazars have a menora in their county CoA, and their leader is named Isaac. It seems as though they should be Jewish but are Orthodox as a placeholder.