• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nah dude, you're not getting it. The VIKINGS were way more awesome than everybody else!!! They were totally badass dudes with beards and horned helmets and stuff who conquered things, and are on the covers of METAL ALBUMS and they were totally cool dudes who were all tolerant and like, ahead of their time and stuff, because that's the way cool people are! Never mind that most of the conquering they did were raids of defenseless settlements that couldn't resist them that involved plenty of rape, but it's cool because we can still live out our repressed white nerd power fantasies through them... VIKINGS!!!!!

Um... Wow...

Oh and yes, the Kazars were converts to Judaism.

Some of the Khazars were Jewish. Just as many were Tengri, Christian, and Muslim. They were rather cosmopolitan. The aristocracy represented a form of Judaism from the 8th Century, but not the culture as a whole (Unless you're going to spout off that 13th Tribe nonsense...).

Swedish Pagans - Sabaton for the promotional trailer :D

[video=youtube;5B7pNJD6Q10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B7pNJD6Q10[/video]

Really hoping that Paradox next expansion will be a Pagan expansion to fully develoup the culture and religions of the largest pagan religions out there, along with earlier start date and historical date for when the Teutonic knights fights the Lithuanian pagans

I think it's worth a DLC. Playing the underdog is fun.

I don't often play as Catholic/Orthodox. Not in CKII and not in EU3.
One-province minors, heretics and pagans in both. Mali invasion of Europe is certainly ahistorical, but that's the way I prefer it.

EDIT: ...and when I play as Catholics, it's something like the Kingdom of Prester John. Ruler designer was worth the cost. :D

Last edited:
Also there should be a "hidden Pagan" trait. I recall reading a book on Byzantium (can't recall the name of the author, sorry) who stated that some Greek/Roman Pagns still existed in the nobility up until the 12th Century. Though not many of course. I think it would be an interesting mechanic for Byzantium to help destabilize it with out actually nerfing it's regions. And I can imagine a few Pagans still in Hungary also.

I think it's more important to make meaningful and interesting tribal/clan systems. Pagans are fine, but the creation of a tribal system would benefit a LOT of areas besides just the pagans. Even specific demenses within a bigger realm could be tribal and thus difficult to control. There are lots of parts of the map that were partially or fully christian or muslim by 1066 (and especially earlier, if the expanded "viking timeline" happens, which I totally advocate) that still have a clan or tribal culture. I'm all for pagan-specific mechanics, but having "the clans" as a mechanic in, for example, Ireland or Scotland, would be pretty sweet too.
Pagans are not the same though, so making a 'tribal/clan' would include making several different systems.

Also there should be a "hidden Pagan" trait. I recall reading a book on Byzantium (can't recall the name of the author, sorry) who stated that some Greek/Roman Pagns still existed in the nobility up until the 12th Century. Though not many of course. I think it would be an interesting mechanic for Byzantium to help destabilize it with out actually nerfing it's regions. And I can imagine a few Pagans still in Hungary also.

I like that. It's a cool idea and could come with events where someone (like maybe your spymaster or court chaplain) find out about your beliefs and stir up trouble. Zealous vassals might get a big boost to rebellion chance, etc.

I like that. It's a cool idea and could come with events where someone (like maybe your spymaster or court chaplain) find out about your beliefs and stir up trouble. Zealous vassals might get a big boost to rebellion chance, etc.
I like the sound of it. But how would one gain it? Perhaps an event. However, the book I read only claimed it was in the nobility of Byzantium, and a few rural villages.

So how would we justify it in other regions? Hungary would be easy since it converted only a few years since the game began (didn't they convert in the year 1000?). And the Scandinavian regions could also be justified. Not sure on the others.

I like the sound of it. But how would one gain it? Perhaps an event. However, the book I read only claimed it was in the nobility of Byzantium, and a few rural villages.

So how would we justify it in other regions? Hungary would be easy since it converted only a few years since the game began (didn't they convert in the year 1000?). And the Scandinavian regions could also be justified. Not sure on the others.

Interesting enought I just got reading the social history byzantine, they did not once bring it up but more houe some old gos fuse with saints, or old village pagan pratices allow, since many bishope view as harmless or because they grew up in the location themselfs.

Please...Byzantium first.

Not that I disagree, but... this isn't the "make Pagans the next DLC!!!" thread. It's the "Should Pagans be DLC at any point?" thread. There's absolutely nothing stopping PI from creating both DLC for Byzantium AND for the various Pagans.

Though honestly, I wanna take the fight back to Christianity with a Baltic horde.

Interesting enought I just got reading the social history byzantine, they did not once bring it up but more houe some old gos fuse with saints, or old village pagan pratices allow, since many bishope view as harmless or because they grew up in the location themselfs.
Interesting. I'll get the name of the book and author either today or tomorrow if my local Library has it in. I'll re-read that chapter too just to make sure I didn't misquote it.

I understand many of you are Swedes and Danes, but remember your nations weren't the only ones that ever had paganism, and what remained was almost dead when the game starts.

On the other hand paganism thrived in eastern europe, in modern finland, modern lithuania, modern estonia etc. It had to be subdued and that took centuries. A dlc for the eastern european pagans makes complete sense tovme.

Yes they should be given DLC but it should not cost. I am mad as hell that I can no longer play as Muslim factins. I can barely afford to pay for food and bills, so i hardly can buy DLC, which should be included into the game to begin with. I shouldn't be prevented from playing as ANY faction via mods when I could play as them before DLC was released.

Start date at the Battle of Tours would give you basic Germany, the subkingdoms, the Frankish Kingdoms, what was left of Ostrogothic Italy, Muslims, etc. Its not to hard to find characters using wikipedia. You would get the entire viking era, the Danelaw, The Kieven Rus, etc. Outside the earlier time period you get tons of steppe peoples, as well as the great Lithuanian crusades.

Read "The Long Ships" by Bergtessen and see how powerful Christianity was in the north even 40 years prior to 1066.

Yes they should be given DLC but it should not cost. I am mad as hell that I can no longer play as Muslim factins. I can barely afford to pay for food and bills, so i hardly can buy DLC, which should be included into the game to begin with. I shouldn't be prevented from playing as ANY faction via mods when I could play as them before DLC was released.

It's possible to play Muslims without Sword of Islam, it just requires a bit of modding.

And stripping out all the muslim flavor, unique events, etc, which were not in the game before Sword of Islam came out.

You are demanding a luxury be free because you cannot afford to pay for it, which is economically laughable. You are not entitled to be given anything any more than somebody with a high income is.

And make no mistake, games are luxuries.