• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amen (lol) to that! Although I think it's funny that the vast majority of posts are about the Norse Pagans, when it was really the Tengri Cumans, Pechenegs, and Mongols who had the biggest impact during the CK2 period. They actually have an excellent chance of surviving and prospering through the game. As a side note, maybe if they improve all religions they could add Judaism in as well. If I'm not mistaken the Khazars have a menora in their county CoA, and their leader is named Isaac. It seems as though they should be Jewish but are Orthodox as a placeholder.
Because to be honest I do not give a flying spaghetti monster about those things. One of my friends(who do not frequent these forums) is all the rave on a pagan DLC focused on the Baltic and the Nordic myth. And to be honest, I am quite like him, although while he wants it -now- I want Paradox to do some more DLC first to get some experience with it and include more of the elements they create in a pagan DLC.

Amen (lol) to that! Although I think it's funny that the vast majority of posts are about the Norse Pagans, when it was really the Tengri Cumans, Pechenegs, and Mongols who had the biggest impact during the CK2 period. They actually have an excellent chance of surviving and prospering through the game. As a side note, maybe if they improve all religions they could add Judaism in as well. If I'm not mistaken the Khazars have a menora in their county CoA, and their leader is named Isaac. It seems as though they should be Jewish but are Orthodox as a placeholder.

That is unless Paradox allow the start date to be prior to 1066. Not only would this allow western pagans to be more playable, but it would also allow those who buy the DLC to be purchasing more for their money (as the earlier start date would only be available to those who buy the dlc).

SoI feels like you're buying a "play" button, but buying an extra couple of hundred years of start dates unavailable in the patch would be more than worth it.

This would also open up a time frame which has been neglected in pc strategy games, as most tend to ignore anything which happened between the fall of the Roman Empire and the conquest of England by William of Normandy.

What would be lacking in width has to be made up for in depth. A ting (norse parliament) or other tribal council could be expanded upon and be given a big role. It would also be a good idea to perhaps make it possible for the Scandinavian kings to revert back to paganism, it would make sense as Catholicism hasn't been the official religion of the region for long and a sizeable portion of the population still followed their old faith.

I've heard a lot of speculation lately about what the next 4 dlc packages are going to be, and one of the major requests/suggestions is a dlc that would make pagans playable and expand on their culture and society. But it seems to me that pagans would not be a very interesting expansion to the game and would not warrant a dlc expansion for a number of reasons:

I really want CKII to be fully playable and I believe that the pagans are an important part of that. But I would hate to see an entire DLC dedicated to them. A DLC focused around the Northern Crusades that made the Holy Orders (especially the Teutonic Knights) playable as well would be worth my money, but there is no way that pagans alone are worth $9.99.

These are certainly not all of the reasons just the ones I could come up with off the top of my head.
I'd like to play the Cuman Horde and show you how your Christianity does against my Eastern Hordes. You can be all the bad ass you want to, until half of Russia is on its knees due to their internal Civil Wars. And once I've got a solid base, here we go Christians, you dreams are about to shatter. :D

Nah dude, you're not getting it. The VIKINGS were way more awesome than everybody else!!! They were totally badass dudes with beards and horned helmets and stuff who conquered things, and are on the covers of METAL ALBUMS and they were totally cool dudes who were all tolerant and like, ahead of their time and stuff, because that's the way cool people are! Never mind that most of the conquering they did were raids of defenseless settlements that couldn't resist them that involved plenty of rape, but it's cool because we can still live out our repressed white nerd power fantasies through them... VIKINGS!!!!!

Oh and yes, the Kazars were converts to Judaism.

Last edited:
Nah dude, you're not getting it. The VIKINGS were way more awesome than everybody else!!! They were totally badass dudes with beards and horned helmets and stuff who conquered things, and are on the covers of METAL ALBUMS and they were totally cool dudes who were all tolerant and like, ahead of their time and stuff, because that's the way cool people are! Never mind that most of the conquering they did were raids of defenseless settlements that couldn't resist them that involved plenty of rape, but it's cool because we can still live out our repressed white nerd power fantasies through them... VIKINGS!!!!!

Oh and yes, the Kazars were converts to Judaism.

Actually I think you'll find the "vikings" you're referring to are Norse pirates (as opposed to being representative of the other 95% of the Norse population, who were landlubbers).

Also I don't understand quite understand what you're getting at. These forums are mostly quite intellectual, and your parodying of an opinion which likely doesn't exist here seems rather out of place.
I can't stand metal music for one and want to play as the pagans because I feel they were probably "the lesser of several evils" during the late dark ages/early medieval periods.
Not because I think that Thor was also secretly the god of death metal.

Skyrim and epicness might come into the equation somewhere however :D

I suppose I should have clarified this earlier, but I do draw a distinction between the northern pagan tribes and the nomadic steppe peoples, even though the game doesn't. When I started this thread I was more referencing the northern pagans not the nomads. I don't know if the two would be released in the same expansion as they don't have much in common culturally.

I suppose I should have clarified this earlier, but I do draw a distinction between the northern pagan tribes and the nomadic steppe peoples, even though the game doesn't. When I started this thread I was more referencing the northern pagans not the nomads. I don't know if the two would be released in the same expansion as they don't have much in common culturally.
I understood that. I was just going in a round about way of pointing out that there are more than just Baltic and Norse Pagans in the game and I'd be willing to pay the price of movie admission to play them for more than 2 hours. :D

Oh Absolutely! The Pagans are incredibly diverse and would provide a very different experience to play. I would very much want to play as the Cumans, Mongols, or convert the north back to the Nordic roots.

Hi, first post here. I only really know about Anglo-Saxon paganism but I would like a pagan DLC since I believe it would add a lot of new interesting choices and features to Crusader Kings 2.

I personally would like to be able to play as the Teutonic Order and crusade Lithuania. The TO is one of my favorite factions to play in a mod of Medieval Total War 2, and I would like to be able to do that again, only with the dynastic and diplomatic model of CK2.

I think it's more important to make meaningful and interesting tribal/clan systems. Pagans are fine, but the creation of a tribal system would benefit a LOT of areas besides just the pagans. Even specific demenses within a bigger realm could be tribal and thus difficult to control. There are lots of parts of the map that were partially or fully christian or muslim by 1066 (and especially earlier, if the expanded "viking timeline" happens, which I totally advocate) that still have a clan or tribal culture. I'm all for pagan-specific mechanics, but having "the clans" as a mechanic in, for example, Ireland or Scotland, would be pretty sweet too.