• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well for some reason the South African Republic and Free State have slavery. Spain, Denmark, France, Netherlands along with some other african countries have it too. Also most south american countries have slavery.

As of 2.31, all these countries have slavery in 1836:
Brazil, Cambodia, Colombia, Dai Viet, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Khiva, Korea, Luang Prabang, Madagascar, Netherlands, Oranje, Portugal, Paraguay, Siam, Sokoto, Spain, Texas, Tripoli, Transvaal, Uruguay, the USA and Venezuela
Denmark, France and Uruguay have no slavery in 1861, and Gran Colombia and the CSA also have slavery enabled in their history files.

There are many dozens of countries that are incorrectly represented as not having slavery in the Vanilla game, I did a lot of research on it and went through them all and corrected it for PDM.

Almost all Unciv countries had slavery in one form or another in 1836, that is, all Muslim countries (including in the Ottoman Empire), since slavery was considered legal under Islamic law (under certain circumstances) and in almost all the Asian Uncivs (even in China).

Slavery was also extensive in Romania until 1850s (see Slavery in Romania), where about 10% of the population were slaves (most of them Romani Gypsies). Even Hawaii has slavery at this time.

I hope Paradox fixes that then! That is interesting about Romania, I had no idea.

Denmark's colony in the Carribean (St Thomas) allows slavery. I think you are correct about France and Uruguay, but don't want to load it up for fear of not sleeping tonight ;)

Shouldn't Oman have slavery?

We need definition of slavery, cause in some sense Austria/Russia had serfs who were, you know, almost a trade good. There were slaves in medieval Europe but it was banned, those were exceptions (although numerous). We have also see how did the slavery ended. If it has just faded and there weren't much slaves (and/or they were only in uncivilized regions and disappeared with civilization) there's no point to add them to specific country.

Also, there's Tibet. At least slavery was important there till Chinise came, not sure this is the case in V2.

We need definition of slavery, cause in some sense Austria/Russia had serfs who were, you know, almost a trade good. There were slaves in medieval Europe but it was banned, those were exceptions (although numerous). We have also see how did the slavery ended. If it has just faded and there weren't much slaves (and/or they were only in uncivilized regions and disappeared with civilization) there's no point to add them to specific country.

Also, there's Tibet. At least slavery was important there till Chinise came, not sure this is the case in V2.

Serfs do not count as slaves (it would be nice if serfs had been added though).

By the way, what is actual, real world difference? You can trade serfs, force them to work, beat them - what else do you need to call somebody a slave?

It was a legal technicality in most countries (and varied by nation) as to what the differences were. I think the major difference, in many but not all nations, was that whoever owned the land owned the serfs on the land where as slaves could be owned independently of the land. Serfs also had different legal protections against arbitrary killing/bodily harm/break-up of families in most countries. That difference mostly being in the severity of the repercussions that could be applied to someone who violated these 'rights' (killing a serf often still counted as murder, although with reduced penalty as compared to killing a freeman or noble, where as killing a slave was considered destruction of property).

PI is probably not too interested in modeling the difference in their games.