• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NiL_FisK|Urd

First Lieutenant
24 Badges
Mar 21, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
I ran an handsoff game until 1946 and noticed that the AI tends to only build outdated units - eg, JAP building CV IV altough it had researched CV VIII already, or germany building INF41 instead of INF45. The AI should upgrade a production line as soon as a new model is aviable and the current building progress is not over ~25%.

Upvote 0
It mainly shows that the ai overestimates its true production capabilities. In war times lots if ic is needed on supplies, reinforcements and upgrades. If researches progresses faster than production the ai may upgrade its production lines, cuts quite a bunch of the progress and will never finish any unit at all. Am i a bit too pessimistic?
Anyway, the building schemes especially in later need to be adjusted.

Ok, i found the cause of this - germanys building queue got no ic allocated since mid43, because the supply production needs ~230 IC and it allocated ~160 IC for consumer goods.

If researches progresses faster than production the ai may upgrade its production lines, cuts quite a bunch of the progress and will never finish any unit at all. Am i a bit too pessimistic?
The AI should upgrade a production line as soon as a new model is aviable and the current building progress is not over ~25%.
Well, with a progress of less than 25%, the ai would not loose that much building time (except for CV, BB & BC), and if the SOVs are producing 1939 Inf in 1945, upgrading them would cost much more IC. And anyone building 1938 carriers in 1945 is just stupid, they are just sunk in the next battle anyway.

Edit: Any country with drafted army and central planning will also save ICD for upgrading their old units.

Well, with a progress of less than 25%, the ai would not loose that much building time (except for CV, BB & BC), and if the SOVs are producing 1939 Inf in 1945, upgrading them would cost much more IC.

In case of soviet inf that may be true. But loosing 50% of progress, 50% of gearing bonus and adding up to 40 days of retooling is quite severe.

And anyone building 1938 carriers in 1945 is just stupid, they are just sunk in the next battle anyway.

Really? The 1945 carriers cost more than twice the ICD.

Edit: Any country with drafted army and central planning will also save ICD for upgrading their old units.

That is true in most cases.

In case of soviet inf that may be true. But loosing 50% of progress, 50% of gearing bonus and adding up to 40 days of retooling is quite severe.
The AI gets ~ 30% gearing bonus per unit, and IIRC the ai gets no retooling time.
Really? The 1945 carriers cost more than twice the ICD.
Japan lost 15 carriers to the USA, while the USA lost only 2 - JAP built CV4, US built many CV 5 and some CV VI-VIII

There are situation where a different model has advantages. The current system is relativly foolproof, a different model would require quite some effort to prevent serios downsides.

Military salaries for ~ 400 units, 10 techteams on 100% research

I use the E3 map with some custom mods, so i dont know if the savegame is of any value - but in my current handsoff game, they use 152 IC for reinforcements while they would only need 26.

What do they need that much consumer goods for? Do you have a save for investigation?

Mostly salaries and importing resources should be important, too.

10 techteams on 100% research

The Ai does not pay its techteams. This quite an asset fo the AI as a human plyer usually has to slow down research in order to save ic.

I use the E3 map with some custom mods, so i dont know if the savegame is of any value - but in my current handsoff game, they use 152 IC for reinforcements while they would only need 26.

Could this vary due to ships in harbour or outside harbour or units fighting or not?