• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am happy to see stability to slowly return to the Reich; I ask the new Chancellor to call the budget proposed by Herr von und zu Birkenfeld to a vote (or for me to draft a new one if he finds the former unsatisfactory).

I am, however, dissapointed to see our forces in France being pushed back, bit with a new government and that sense of order returning to the Army, I am certain fortune will be ours again.

If we are to recover our gains on the Western Front, it is essential that we maintain the confidence of the Great Britain. To these ends, I shall be dispatching a communique to my cousin, King George V, assuring him of the sound integrity of the German Nation and our resolve to see the war through. I would also ask the Chancellor to look into the matter of the distribution of French colonies in the event of victory: we may have to offer our ally greater colonial concessions to entice them to remain in the war.

Speaking of such, it is clear that our strategy is failing on the Western Front. Not since the wars of Napoleon has the German Nation suffered such incredible reverses, having gone from occupying far-eastern France to now barely holding on to Belgium. I call upon the Chief of the Great General Staff, von Falkenhayn, to present to the Reichstag his plans for the future. A new strategy is necessary if we are to avoid total collapse.

- His Royal Highness, Prince August Wilhelm of Prussia, Imperial Regent

As you are no doubt aware, when the Budget was initially announced I was not in favour. I would be happier if more money were invested in the Army, not least to ensure our troops are always well supplied and to further important breakthroughs like the use of poison gas, fighter aeroplanes, heavy artillery and, if my sources at the admiralty are correct, a 'land ship', code named the 'tank'. This money would need to be recouped obviously, in the form of a temporary war tax or similar scheme. I was also concerned at the debt that we were gaining in the last budget, but after consultation with the former Treasury minister, I have been assured that these additional costs are merely war related and we would ordinarily be running a budget surplus.

However, I would not like to be seen as controlling, and knowing little of the mathematical sciences, I gladly defer the budget to the Finance Minister, to present the bill he believes in the best interests of the country.

On the British question, I hope to discuss matters such as possible peace treaties on my forthcoming trip to London.

My Lord Regent, the army cannot fight with one eye on the French and another on the political wrangling back in the Fatherland. I implore you, hold off any reform so that the Government can actually focus on winning the war instead of squabbling over every scrap of legislation.

I also feel that presenting my plans directly to the Reichstag would be detrimental to the nation, as I believe there are some subversive elements at work in the Reichstag. I would be willing to present my new plans to the Kaiser, the Regent, the Chancellor and the Vice-Chancellor personally to restore their confidence in my person.

In other news, the 1st Army has been reconstituted on the Western Front and I have appointed General Von Roon to it's command. He will have to leave for the front immediately to take stock of his new important position.

-Erich von Falkenhayn, Chief of the General Staff.

OOC: I'd send you all my new tactics via pm.

May I request that your plans are also shared with the War and Naval ministries, given they are responsible for the Army and the Navy.

I feel that, though I agree with the points about the budget that the Chancellor raised, Herr von und zu Birkenfeld's budget is the most sound approach; as such I have left mostly intact (it has faced only slight modification). In it's current form, I am worried about our debt problem, as I am certain you all are, but once this war is over, our spending will return to appropriate levels, and our economy will begin to grow again.

With that little preface done, I present my proposed budget for 1916-17 to the Chancellor and Reichstag.

German Reich 1916-1917 Budget
Total Spending: 994,000,000 RM
Military: 467,500,000 RM
Consumer Goods: 120,000,000 RM
Industrial Subsidies: 60,000,000 RM
Infrastructure: 35,000,000 RM
Welfare: 40,000,000 RM
Education: 59,500,000 RM (+11.5M for Education Act)
Government: 50,000,000 RM
Colonies: 16,000,000 RM
Other: 10,000,000 RM
Victory Bond Interest: 10,000,000 RM
Debt Interest: 126,000,000 RM

Total Income: 452,000,000 RM
Taxes: 397,000,000 RM
Tariffs: 55,000,000 RM
Total Balance: -552,000,000 RM
Victory Bond Debt @ 5%: 200,000,000 RM
Treasury: -1,805,000,000 RM (1,267,000,000 RM of Russian debt was assumed)

German Reich 1915-1916 Budget
Total Spending: 856,500,000 RM
Military: 467,500,000 RM
Consumer Goods: 120,000,000 RM
Industrial Subsidies: 65,000,000 RM
Infrastructure: 35,000,000 RM
Welfare: 40,000,000 RM
Education: 48,000,000 RM (+11.5M for Education Act)
Government: 50,000,000 RM
Colonies: 16,000,000 RM
Other: 15,000,000 RM
Debt Interest: --- RM

Total Income: 452,000,000 RM
Taxes: 397,000,000 RM
Victory Bonds (@ 5%): 200,000,000RM
Tariffs: 55,000,000 RM
Total Balance: -204,000,000 RM
Treasury: 4,000,000 RM

I submit the Budget proposed by the Treasury Minister to the house to be voted on.

I also open the floor to any legislation private members wish to propose. I shall shortly be circulating copies of governmental legislation to the cabinet for revision and will present it to the Reichstag in due course.

I vote Yes to the 1916/17 budget.

I vote NO to the 1916/17 budget.

Berlin Times
17 July 1916 - Austria-Hungary Declares War on Serbia, Romania!

BERLIN - The Imperial Palace has received a telegram from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, saying that in order to help preserve the stability in the Balkans, they would be declaring war upon Serbia and Romania, calling in Bulgaria to aide them in the war. We can report that Austria-Hungary has started to shell Belgrade, and that Bulgaria is mobilizing against Romania. The Russian Empire delivered a message of distaste, but is unable to move to defend Romania and Serbia. Following this, the Kingdom of Greece, knowing that if Austria and Bulgaria were not stopped now, they would fall. They declared war upon Bulgaria and Austria, and sent soldiers to the Bulgarian border. The United Kingdom has stayed eerily quite during this whole process, and we cannot predict what their next move will be.

I condemn this blatant act of militarism and aggression, and depart now with all haste to London to talk with His Majesty's government.

((really? That's awkward... I've got rid of the second half then...))

((I can hardly say 'go Austria - invade and kill all those innocent Serbs just so you can get more power!' and anyway, retaining the support of Britain is more important than Austria.))

This is an unexpected moved by the Austrians. I think Germany should stay out of this regional conflict. If Bulgaria and Austria-Hungary can't defeat the Romanians, Serbs and the Greeks they are clearly not militarily Competent enough to be worthwhile allies.

I vote yes on the proposed budget (though I did propose the budget, so it'd be odd if I opposed it...))

Concerning Austria, I believe that, at the moment, we should not take any action either way; Germany is simply too involved in the war with France to enter into this conflict, and I oppose turning our backs on our allies (I do support the Chancellor's move to enter talks with the British government concerning this current Balkan crisis).

I vote Yes to the new budget proposal.

Austria-Hungary, our ally is declaring war on innocent Balkan nations, for what reason? To increase their empire's power and dominance. Our empire is in turmoil, I would suggest not joining this war, due to the fact it would had to another strain on our nation, that we don't need.

- Gabriel Ofterlehner, Zentrums Partei

I vote YES to the proposed budget.

The Austro-Hungarians are our faithful allies, as well as our German brethren. As they have helped us in our recent plight against Russia, it is only right that we help them in their conflict. At the very least we should send economic aid to Austria-Hungary.

~ Bruno von Brockhusen