• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe that I am speaking for all the farmers in Germany when I thank Herr Goldschmidt, for preventing what would have otherwise been a long and horrible war.

Thank you, Herr Reichskanzler; I will reintroduce my bill, a few small changes.

It will largely be the same as the former bill; however, we shall slightly increase industrial subsidies, and we shall invest more in our infrastructure.

German Reich 1914-1915 Budget
Total Spending: 386,000,000 RM
Military: 200,000,000 RM
Consumer Goods: 90,000,000 RM
Industrial Subsidies: 20,000,000RM
Infrastructure: 15,000,000 RM
Welfare: 25,000,000 RM
Education: 25,000,000 RM
Government: 15,000,000 RM
Colonies: 10,000,000 RM
Other: 5,000,000 RM
Debt Interest: --- RM
Funding Allied Military: 25,000,000 RM

Total Income: 472,000,000 RM
Taxes: 397,000,000 RM
Tariffs: 55,000,000 RM

Total Balance: 22,000,000 RM
Total Surplus: 135,500,000 RM

-------------------------------

German Reich 1912-1913 Budget
Total Spending: 385,500,000 RM
Military: 200,000,000 RM - the change being due to the Krupp materials raise
Consumer Goods: 85,000,000 RM
Industrial Subsidies: 12,500,000RM
Welfare: 20,000,000 RM
Education: 20,000,000 RM
Government: 15,000,000 RM
Colonies: 6,000,000 RM
Other: 6,000,000 RM
Debt Interest: --- RM
Naval Bill of 1912 (ship purchases): 21,000,000 RM

Total Income: 598,000,000 RM
Taxes: 417,000,000 RM - an increase of 150M RM on the previous year brought by the stimulus
Tariffs: 55,000,000 RM
Naval Bill of 1912 (ship sales): 126,000,000 RM
Total Balance: 212,500,000 RM
Total Surplus: 113,500,000 RMA

Last edited:
Why is there no post for the farmers?

I believe that a slight increase in military spending is in order, in line with the fact that we recently came so close to war and we may come close again, as well as a moderate increase of spending on our colonies to improve their infrastructure and try and find some way to make a profit on them. Or will we be stuck with colonies that give us no benefit forever? Other than that and the fact that the surplus should be reduced a bit (banked money does nothing to improve our country), I cannot see anything that is so glaring or immediate.

Also, whatever came of that Justice investigation into Krupp and its random price raise?

Military spending has already been increased by 32,500,000 RM, as the actual budget called for an expenditure of 167,500,000 RM. However, due to the Krupp price increase, this was increased to 200,000,000 RM, we have no reason to assume that this year prices will not return to normal levels. Additionally, some of the surplus will be absorbed by investment in infrastructure.

~Chancellor Reinhart von und zu Birkenfeld

I thank you all for your complements; however I cannot take all credit. I thank the chancellor, the ministers and the members of the Reichstag for their advice on the issue. We still have more diplomatic hurdles to overcome and I will work hard to achieve the best results for Germany.

As for the budget, I ask that the Treasury Minister again modify the budget slightly. We must help our Bulgarian and Ottoman friends modernise their army. Training and supplying their armies with the latest arms will bring them up to the same standards as the other European powers; however it will cost money to do so.

Gustav Goldschmidt
-Foreign Minister

Herr Goldschmidt, how much would you suggest? Also, I would like to ask Graf von Ulrich, how much he believes should be invested in the colony. Since we have a large surplus at the moment, we can easily find areas to improve our spending.

Last edited:
I believe somewhere in the region of 20-30,000,000 RM would sufficiently allow us to modernise large parts of the Bulgarian and Ottoman armies.

Gustav Goldschmidt
-Foreign Minister

Now that the threat of war is at least temporarly removed, i would like to annouce that i will be conducting investigations on what caused the increases on prices of products sold by Krupp.

Berlin Times
15 August 1914 - Krupp Announces German Kamerun best Afrikan Colony!

BUEA - Since receiving control of a majority of German Kamerun from the Reichstag Government, Krupp Industries announces that Kamerun now houses many factories, and employes many Afrikans to work, for a fair wage, producing goods for the German Government. The large cost of shipping from Kamerun to Germany was causing an increase in costs, and was blamed for the more money that Krupp Industries charged the German Government for. However, when the Justice Minister Artur Friedrich von Essen tried to send an investigation team into the Krupp offices in Germany, he was met with a rebuke and a refusal, claiming it was shipping costs and that the German Government had no right to invade and investigate them. When pressured further, the German General Staff stepped in and ordered the entire investigation to be called off and halted, as it could damage and hurt military production. In response to this, Krupp decided to halt all tax revenues to the Berlin Government, claiming that he shall use them for his company, but the recent spikes in Military Costs would return to normal. As it turns out, in the agreement selling Kamerun land to Krupp meant that Krupp Industries only had to pay taxes on land inside Germany. The actions of the Berlin Government saved the previously lost 32,500,000 Reichmarks from Military Supplies, but lost 65,600,000 RM in tax income.

I've added 25,000,000 RM to allied military funding, and 4,000,000 RM to the colonies; both those amounts should be sufficient.

This cannot be allowed to stand, members of the Reichstag! We cannot be having Krupp, a German company, running roughshod over the Reichstag and its cabinet! No company can be above the law, and we have every right to conduct a legal investigation into dealings by a German company.

As to the treasury minister ((my name is Graf Robert Von Urlich)), I believe that 4 million is fair for right now, but if they return promising results and we maintain a surplus in the future I say we remain open to further increases.

OOC: Lets freeze Krupp's assets and send some sort of police or marine force (that we are SURE is absolutely loyal to us and the kaiser) to arrest all the executives and owners of Krupp Industries. We cannot allow them to tell us to jump and for us to reply by asking how high! And some of you may say we cannot risk the general staff's displeasure, but I say that the day when we have to risk that was going to come eventually, so why not now? At the very least we need to do something about that land owned by Krupp in Africa. Force them to allow our investigators in to ensure they aren't breaking colonial law, or perhaps declare the fact that our prices were raised instead of lowered by 10% in the first year to make the deal void.

Krupp industries is acting like a disloyal child; we need to rein them in at once!

In response to the Kaiser, no I don't think he isn't a sensible person, merely that his support for those harsh demands was undoubtedly rash in my eyes.

But onto more important matters than a perceived petty insult, I must ask my colleague in the Conservative party just what he doesn't understand about a company defying its government? A company is refusing to allow a legal investigation into affairs which the government has every right to know about and which affect our decisions on a ground breaking basis. Not only that, but they are refusing to pay taxes, and are cheating the government! If we don't come down hard on this, then our authority as a government will be so diminished you might as well say goodbye to whatever power we have left thanks to people like you!

Kamerun? Yes, why care about the farmers in Germany when we can care about Kamerun!

Gentlemen of this esteemed body, why are we bickering over a colonial matter when we have yet to pass a budget. A necessity for the smooth running of the army and the military. I will speak with Krupp personally and get down to brass tacks after the budget is passed. Though I will say that no is not the time, nor is it wise, to call for the head of the man whose company arms our military, particularly after a general war across all of Europe was soon nearly averted...

~Chancellor Reinhart Von und Zu Birkenfeld

I would argue, Chancellor, and agree with my party colleague, in that the 'colonial' matter and the budget are linked rather closely. Through the actions of this government, we now have German industry running colonies - that is a unfortunate co-incidence which does not take away from the fact that one of our most famous and prominent companies is abusing a glaring loophole in federal law! One could make a case of having the Justice Minister look into this 'loophole' while we, the German Government, rein in what is fast becoming a rogue company with its own land and laws. The law does not provide exceptions, no matter their market share, Chancellor.

I also find a situation where a company dictates a nation's will both alarming, dishonourable and weak. I'm sure Germany's enemies will consider that weakness with interest - rather then an obvious blackmail which can be solved with Reichsmarks, as can most problems.

/Helmut von Jagow.