• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An open letter from Chancellor Von und Zu Birkenfeld to the Reichstag and the German People

Friends, I am sorry that I, the Schwartzritter, have been quiet for so long, I must also request that you excuse the brevity of my letter, for my recovery has taken me some time, as unfortunately I am no longer a young man. However, know that even while convalescing my first thought was always the people of this great nation A nation that will never be defeated external invaders, nor by internal strife! People of Germany heed my call and drive these vile invaders back, drive them to the steps of their own capitals! Cast down the charlatans that speak of equality and peace yet offer neither! I ask you people of Germany to steel yourselves against these threats for they can, nay must be overcome!

The combined might of our allies and our own forces are a marvel to read about. They have liberated poor Belgium from the strangling grasp of the evil French. I shudder to think of the horrible atrocities that these men, no devils, have committed. It is for righteousness and peace that they must be defeated! Their treatment of the Belgians is a crime that shall not go unpunished! Their unwarranted aggression must be countered with a firm and resolute response by our armed forces.

I feel I must also comment on the current unrest that grips our nation in its cruel and unrelenting grasp. The disorder and disruption caused by the communist shows that their true desire is not the well-being of the German people but their desire to amass power. They have attempted to silence those that would work to aid the German people merely because they desire power. They work to make us cower in fear and demand that we accede to their demands and turn Germany over to them. They want to strip us of our individuality, our personhood, our nationality, our culture! Yet this is something that must not come to pass, if not for the sake of ourselves, but for the sake of our children!

I must condemn the recent, unwarranted attack on the Treasury Minister, a man that works to ensure the future of all Germans. I pray for the souls of the men killed in those attacks, and offer my condolences their loved ones, just as I continue to do for those that lost their lives when I was attacked. I also pray for speedy and safe recovery of Freiherr Erich August von Hohenzollern.

They claim that Germany is too unequal and that those in government seek only to empower and enrich the wealthy at the expense of the poor. This is a lie! For the Schwartzritter and Zentrum with the government have passed extensive legislation that helps all Germans! Who has championed the cause of education for the brightest no matter the class? Who has made it so servicemen my enter college at government expense? Who has grown the economy, employing millions and increasing the wages of millions more? Who has increased welfare for the neediest? Who has made the flow of people, ideas, and goods easier? I like to think that we have made the lives of all Germans a little easier.

However, I like to think myself as a fair man. As such I will make three offers and requests. I request all communists lay down their arms, not for myself nor the government, but for Germany as a whole. I also request that the communists clearly identify their grievances before unjustly attacking people. For if they remain unknown, how may they be addressed? I also offer an opportunity for amnesty, if they refuse to lay down their arms. I offer full amnesty to those willing to turn east, and fight the Russian menace, a nation ruled by an autocrat with little regard for his people! For it is intriguing that the fighting is in Germany, a nation with an elected government, and not in Russia, which is stuck with an unjust and oligarchic system.

On a more positive note, I hope to soon return to the Reichstag and resume my full duties serving the German nation and its people.

~Chancellor Reinhart von und zu Birkenfeld

OOC: Riccardo, I would like to work with you on the next budget.

These are truly dark days when government ministers are being shot at and when our nation's future in its fragile state during time of war is under constant threat from internal enemies, from Communists! And yet, even now, is our Chancellor von und zu Birkenfeld willing to extend his hand to all those that have recognised their error in siding with Communism. I thus would like to echo the Chancellor's message in his recently published open letter, calling for all Communists to lay down their arms for their country, identify their grievances and fight the external enemies, the Russians. For all those Communists that do not accept the Chancellor's amnesty, I would like a full crack-down to be initiated by our Justice Minister von Essen, utilising all the forces at his disposal to sweep the Communists from our streets.

I wish our Chancellor von und zu Birkenfeld and our Treasury Minister Freiherr von Hohenzollern a speedy and full recovery. May they re-take their place at the helm of our nation quickly.

I would also like to congratulate all our armed forces on this victory in the west. The history books will remember that, on the 18th of July, 1915, our heroic troops and the undaunted British broke through the French lines. Onwards to Paris, my brothers! Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more!

Reactions:
The communists have resorted to violence and brutality, it is clear that they do not wish the well-beign of the nation, attacking the government when our two greatest enemies have attacked us. They only desire power, and for that, they are willing to do anything.

I hope our chancellor and treasury minister can both recover well and as soon as possible, and continue to lead our nation to glorious times and the defeat of our enemies.
And i ensure to all that i am doing the possible to aid the combat against the communist scum, and for that i may not be so active in the reichstag on the following days, as i will be dedicating most of my time to combating the communist threat to our nation. As for the decision to start a crack down, i think that decision comes down to the Kaiser and the military, but i will be providing the necessary help in information that my investigations have suceeded in giving me.

- Artur Friedrich von Essen, Minister of Justice.

Announcement from the War Ministry

Imperial Order 66 has been implemented in Berlin. This order implements several new laws to ensure the safety of the citizens of Berlin from Communist terrorists and their ilk.

Imperial Order 66:

-Extra German soldiers will be deployed to patrol Berlin day and night in conjunction with the police to ensure the safety of her people.
-A 10pm Curfew will be enforced throughout the city. Those found after 10pm will be detained.
-Those found with unauthorised firearms will be detained.

The Reich will not falter in the face of Communist terrorists.

Chief of the General Staff,
Erich von Falkenhayn.

There are troublesome times ahead in Germany. Reichstag members are being shot, German soldiers fight in both the east and the west, and Communist scum seek to impose their twisted government on Germany. Indeed in our hour of greatest need, we are almost on the brink of civil war. I echo the calls made by our fellow colleagues and ask the communists lay down their arms. German blood need not be shed.

Internationally I applaud the German soldiers. The liberation of Belgium is great victory for Germany and her allies, and the Belgians are now safe from the atrocities committed by the French military. With the recent collapse of the French line German victory in France is in reach, however the fight in Russia will continue.

Domestically I wish Chancellor Reinhart von und zu Birkenfeld and Treasury Minister Freiherr Erich August von Hohenzollern a fast recovery, and I applaud Freiherr Erich August von Hohenzollern's attempts to form a budget, despite his wounds.

I also vote NO to the War Bill.

~ Bruno Von Brockhusen

Before I present my proposal for this years budget, I would like to apoligize to His Majesty, Emperor Wilhem III. He asked me to discuss the budget with him before I presented it; however, since he has been called away, and a budget must be passed soon, I have decided to simply present it and hope he forgives my transgression of Imperial authority.

I would also like to explain the budget a bit; I chose not to make any significant increases in the official budget for three reasons; the first being that I considered the levels of spending to be at appropriate levels (we had made solid budget surplus' to fund any one off projects and to to have bit of leg room... prior to the war); second, due to the immense size of the war costs, I felt that keeping the budget as is would help to dampen the blow to the economy (that is, our deficit would not get too out of hand; the third reason is that, due to the fall in revenue from the war, I felt that we could not afford to increase spending.

The costs of the war, as you all can see plainly here, have devastated the German economy; however, the members of the government, including myself and our esteemed Chancellor, have all worked on ways to ensure to the best of our ability that the German people shall be kept secure and that the economy will be able to recover quickly. At the moment, we cannot feasibly cut spending, due to the necessities of this war, brought upon us by the French. Once the French have been knocked out of this conflict, we can lower some spending and bring about useful reform, and once Russia is beaten, we can begin rebuilding in earnest.

Without any further ado, here is my proposed Budget for 1915-16

German Reich 1915-1916 Budget (Costs from the War added)
Total Spending: 856,500,000 RM
Military: 467,500,000 RM
Consumer Goods: 120,000,000 RM
Industrial Subsidies: 65,000,000 RM
Infrastructure: 35,000,000 RM
Welfare: 40,000,000 RM
Education: 48,000,000 RM (+11.5M for Education Act)
Government: 50,000,000 RM
Colonies: 16,000,000 RM
Other: 15,000,000 RM
Debt Interest: --- RM

Total Income: 452,000,000 RM
Taxes: 397,000,000 RM (+75M from growth, -150M)
Tariffs: 55,000,000 RM
Total Balance: -404,000,000 RM
Deficit: 196,000,000 RM

German Reich 1914-1915 Budget
Total Spending: 432,000,000 RM
Military: 167,500,000 RM (Price fall: 32.5M decrease)
Consumer Goods: 90,000,000 RM
Industrial Subsidies: 15,000,000 RM
Infrastructure: 25,000,000 RM
Welfare: 25,000,000 RM
Education: 36,500,000 RM (Education Act: 11.5M RM increase)
Government: 15,000,000 RM
Colonies: 6,000,000 RM
Other: 5,000,000 RM
Debt Interest: --- RM
Allied Army Improvement: 25,000,000 RM (one off cost)
Berlin-Basra Railway: 22,000,000 RM (one off cost)

Total Income: 527,000,000 RM
Taxes: 472,000,000 RM
Tariffs: 55,000,000 RM
Total Balance: 95,000,000 RM
Total Surplus: 208,500,000 RM

Last edited:
I would like to thank the Treasury Minister for his diligence and hard-work in presenting the current budget. Though it is true the scourge of war has negatively impacted our nation's economy, however, the effects of this are largely transient and tied to the fortunes of war. As our enemies are defeated and peace returns, our budget should right itself just as a well-made boat will after being hit broadside by a wave.

Yet the importance of passing a budget for the year is unquestionable. It simply must be done, so our men may be supplied on the front and keep the homefront secure.

As such, I urge all members of the reichstag to vote yes on this budget.

I vote yes on this budget.

"I vote yes on this budget."

I vote yes on the budget.

Yes on the budget.

Yes on the budget.

The proposed budget for 1915-1916 has passed. I will sign it and pass it to the kaiser so that it may become law.

Additionally, as alluded to by the Treasury Minister, in order to solve the coming deficit, I propose that the treasury department begin issuing Victory Bonds to the German people to aid in our war effort. The proposed bonds will carry an interest rate of 5% per annum.

I propose this as it will allow the government to borrow at lower interest rate than through other channels and will help give the populace ownership in the war.

The Victory Bond Issuance of 1915

The German Empire will issue 200,000,000 RM in recallable, 30 year Victory Bonds bearing an interest rate of 5% per annum.

I vote yes on this bill.