• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Agrippa43

Captain
43 Badges
Apr 14, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Was hoping to get an idea for what kind of "house rules" players use who want to play with some historical realism. Maybe make a list.

Here are a few of mine.

1. Never reload a saved game due to a bad event, loss of terrirory etc. Just deal with it.
2. Play the game until the end, unless the dynasty dies out of course.
3. Do not start a war during the winter months.
4. Only one chance at assasinating a character. No repeat attempts on the same character.

Well that's mine. Add yours!

I've heard some players say they never use assasination at all. But it did in fact happen during the period. However spamming the assasination button over and over is silly.

1. Never reload a saved game due to a bad event, loss of terrirory etc. Just deal with it.
2. Play the game until the end, unless the dynasty dies out of course.
3. Do not start a war during the winter months.

Agree with these. I will use assassinations multiple times, though. But generally not until I've increased the odds of it succeeding.

Apart from that:

1. Never start a war playing as a Cathar - because the current heresy mechanics are sadly lacking, I've taken to following some rules that seem like they'd work for the heresies. For Bogomils, I lower crown authority as far as I can - ideally to Autonomous. For Cathars, a primarily pacifist sect, I abstain from executions and starting wars/joining wars of aggression.
2. No spamming Council appointment ambitions - A very gamey way of increasing your heir's stats is to get them to have a council appointment ambition, give them the position for a stat boost, then fire them. Rinse & Repeat.

My only house rule is *not use assassination at all*. To me it's the cheesiest mechanic in the game. The game already has assassination plots, which I find better since you need to gain support, etc. (and I still rarely use it), but that's about it.

*Never marry ridiculusly, f.x. when duke of Trondelag marrying the daughter of a count in Ethiopia because she has genius, lustful and attractive trait is off limits
*Never reload to avoid random crap (your heir dying whom you had bethrothed to the daughter of the king of France while he was still the heir)
*Roleplay the characters , if cruel then I execute traitors, if just I execute some kind of traitors, the ones who claim my throne. This rule is the most fun but sometimes rather difficult. I had a huge snowballing problem with rebellions when I started executing a lot of 'traitors' with my lunatic, possesed, impaler, cruel king of Scotland (reminded me of the Aeryis the IV)

- I never reload, to make a different outcome of something.

- I tend to marry within my own culture, start with the surrounding counts/dukes/kings (this also makes sense due to usable alliances).

- I take decisions based on the rulers trait. No matter if it is a stupid tactical move, I do it if the character has traits that would point towards such an approach on a specific topic.

But all in all, I think this game is very realistic as it is... :)

So far we agreed on:

No decleration of war during winter'
Only one assasination per character
No spalm appointments
No marriage outside of your geographic area
No reload game due to loss or anything.

No marriage outside of your geographic area
I'*d much rather switch this to "no diplomatical interaction" instead of just marriage.
And if for whatever reason you want to marry a Princess from Byzantium, Ethiopia or wherever, send your chancellor to negotiate the terms.
If you want to keep it totally serious, make the groom spymaster or marshal and dispatch him to the court where he wants his bride from also.

No wonder rulers tended to have more then one ambassador in later years

Here's what I use. I'm a bit of a masochist, I guess.

1. All decisions must be made based on the ruler's traits rather than simply picking the optimal choice.
2. Ignore eugenics. No optimizing traits/bloodlines.
3. Marriage in same culture/religion and only for political reasons, not traits. Higher ranks have more flexibility.
4. No Matrilineal Marriage - too easy to exploit.
5. Fabricate Claims and Assassinate only with a dishonest ruler.
6. Rarely use Assassinate - too easy to exploit.
7. Consider opinion and relationship rather than only skill when choosing councilors.
8. Invite new nobles only as last resort to fill an empty slot. It that means using a 0 skill councilor, so be it.

I prefer to start as a count, preferably with no powerful relatives. Simply surviving becomes the goal rather then trying to paint the map my color.

I'*d much rather switch this to "no diplomatical interaction" instead of just marriage.
And if for whatever reason you want to marry a Princess from Byzantium, Ethiopia or wherever, send your chancellor to negotiate the terms.
If you want to keep it totally serious, make the groom spymaster or marshal and dispatch him to the court where he wants his bride from also.

No wonder rulers tended to have more then one ambassador in later years

Yea, would be nice if we had more than one ambassador

Here are mine.
1) No reloads. If something nasty happens, tough luck.
2) No marrying duchesses or countesses outside my kingdom. Really - if as King of France you start marrying duchesses for your sons, you will have annexed the whole of the HRE and England in two generations and usurped the title of the HRE. It is so bloody gamey, and no sensible emperor would ever allow such things.
3) No inviting courtiers from other duchies/counties and giving them land and getting the new territory.
4) No matrilineal marriages for anyone except a ruling duchess/queen. In particular, princesses cannot be married matrilineally for me to gain new territory.
5) Maximise my prestige. This takes precedence over everything else. If it means forming multiple kingdoms and having to deal with the complications of it, so be it.
6) Take part in all crusades. The crusade takes priority over my local wars. The game is, after all, Crusader kings.
7) Rarely, if ever at all, use assassination (only plot based even then).
8) No optimising bloodlines/traits.

I wish the crusades would affect only a duchy and the holy wars affect only a county. Is there any way to make this change? Otherwise, crusades and holy wars are game breaking. In one of my games the Sultanate of Rum lost only 3 western provinces and I (as King of France) ended up getting the entire kingdom from the Aegean right up to the Caucasus.

2) No marrying duchesses or countesses outside my kingdom. Really - if as King of France you start marrying duchesses for your sons, you will have annexed the whole of the HRE and England in two generations and usurped the title of the HRE. It is so bloody gamey, and no sensible emperor would ever allow such things.

So? Did you know, how the Habsburgs came to the Spain throne? Philip I Duke of many duchies married Joanna the Queen regnant of Spain. So the son of both (Charles I in Spain) were from the Habsburg family. But he inherite also the spain throne. So its not really gamey... Its politic!

Yeah our Austrian nobility loved their marriage alliances...no wonder since the country itself doesn't offer much power :)

Since i am a noob at this game, i tend to reload when my ruler dies way too early or under stupid circumstances. Besides that i don't use it.
I love my assassinations. They are part of history and since I don't know much about the mechanics, i barely have good chances either (or the money), which takes away a lot of the cheaty feeling to it.
I tend to make decisions depending on my traits, like some in here wrote, but I also don't follow them to the letter, since personalities can change and even if he is kind, he might execute a revolting vassal the second time he tries something against me, after being forgiving before.

So? Did you know, how the Habsburgs came to the Spain throne? Philip I Duke of many duchies married Joanna the Queen regnant of Spain. So the son of both (Charles I in Spain) were from the Habsburg family. But he inherite also the spain throne. So its not really gamey... Its politic!

Or the kingdom of england gaining Aquantaine (sp?). I know technically they were in the same realm, but in game terms they aren't.. I don't do it very often, but if it's in my geographical region I have no qualms about doing it.

Or the kingdom of england gaining Aquantaine (sp?). I know technically they were in the same realm, but in game terms they aren't.. I don't do it very often, but if it's in my geographical region I have no qualms about doing it.

Yes, when Henry II married Eleanor Duchess of Aquitaine a huge mass of territory was added to England