• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kalpa

First Lieutenant
79 Badges
Aug 8, 2009
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
Like I mentioned elsewhere, I almost managed to finish C01S09 'North by Northwest', when the game suddenly crashed.

The game in general seems to have a habit of slowing down the longer it runs, leading me to believe in problems with memory use and/or garbage collection. Especially so after deploying tons of sonobuoys (I'm assuming despawning objects are problematic). In this mission particular, I was hunting down another sub to fill the victory condition, and had hundreds of sonobuoys spawned and expired during the course of the game. I can not remember if I was doing anything particular with the UI (issuing orders or messing with time compression or whatnot) when the crash occurred, or whether I was actually doing nothing at all and the game crashed on itself. Hope the logs might clear that out?

At least on my system, I am not experiencing such a major slowdown as I have seen on youtube videos, but the symptoms are similar: sluggish, unresponsive gameplay and generic loss of frames per second.

Is this game having problems with multi-core systems? I might consider to set the NWAC.exe process affinity to use only one logical CPU, and see if it improves the performance on long missions.

Attached you will find the logs.

ps. Good work on the game, I like it. Haven't found a decent modern naval combat game since... well, forever. Actually finding naval combat games in general is hard, I guess the genre is too niche. The manual could give a bit more technical insight, though. Also, what the hell does the "reduced counter-detection" percentage actually do (in terms of game mechanics, what does 0% mean, and which is better, 80% or 90%)? :p

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    27,2 KB · Views: 168
  • output_log.txt
    133,1 KB · Views: 209
  • TTG_NAVALWAR_LOG2012-06-19.txt
    2,3 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
Thanks for your feedback and logs. We run multicore all over the office without problems. The GUI runs on its own separate process apart from the AI, so it does take advantage of multicore. While it is true that our middleware and our own code do not fully exploit multithreading (which would increase complexity to a significant degree), it should not in itself cause problems. Memory leaks is, alas, always a possibility. We have fixed quite a few since launch, but there may always be issues remaining.