• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 16, 2012
Hi guys of TurboTape, is there any news on how far you are wíth solving that freezing issue? I hope you´re still working on it and don´t lean back and let us users that are suffering with the bug hang in the air... Some kind of short info would be really much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I bought this game on the first day of release. I was very patient at the beginning. I knew bugs happen so I just wait till the freeze bug could be fixed. Then I was kinda surprising why it is taking so long to fix it. It was annoying to keep hearing "we are working on it" with 0 result from devs. Now I can say I'm angry.

The devs haven't really come and said much of anything since returning from their vacations. Even before then, they seemed rather dismissive and distainful of our inability to play. They'd just brush off complaints by saying they couldn't reproduce the issue and implied that we were at fault. I think they've written us off.

The devs haven't really come and said much of anything since returning from their vacations. Even before then, they seemed rather dismissive and distainful of our inability to play. They'd just brush off complaints by saying they couldn't reproduce the issue and implied that we were at fault. I think they've written us off.

To be honest I think you´re right. :-( What makes me wonder is that there´s not more users complaining that issue. Are all those other guys playing without problems? Can´t really believe in that.

But what do we learn from that? Don´t buy any game that hasn´t been proven to be playable!

How many more user complaints are needed? There are at least 10 active users posting about the same problems (7 in one thread alone!) and trying all manner of ad hoc work-around solutions in desperate attempts to get the barest function out of their games. That's more discussion than on any other topic in NWAC yet there is not the slightest hint of developer involvement. That speaks for itself. People are listening and realize that it's pointless to report problems.

because we are still not able to reproduce the bug. I know that is very frustrating to hear, but it is the fact. The vast majority of players do not experience the problem.
For the sake of discussion, let us grant TTG the benefit of the doubt and presume everything is exactly as you have described; TTG has spent millions of dollars/Euros and thousands of man hours trying unsuccessfully to replicate this/these problems. This way, we won't trivialize your efforts the way you minimalize the bug reports.

For whatever reason, you cannot replicate the problems. Maybe you are looking in the wrong area, or your logs are recording the wrong details, or maybe the games crash before the logs are written, or something else. It really doesn't matter because the bottom line is that your efforts cannot reproduce problems that non-insignificant number of us seem to hit constantly and consistently. You openly admit this situation.

Now, you can continue to bash your heads (and ours) against a wall and hope that one day a 'magical log' will catch the problem and be posted. Or, you can change whatever you are doing because it just isn't working.

Maybe you can get someone to let you remotely access their system while they play to show you how the bug appears? There's a fellow who sounds like he has multiple computers. For the price of a courier package, maybe he will deign to send you one that has the problem(s) for your examination. Of course, it is probably more convenient for you to do things on your own computers with all your support applications, logging software, and de-bugging processes easily at hand. However, you've been doing that from the beginning and it hasn't worked. It's time to start thinking outside the box, perhaps. The game may run perfectly well in your antiseptic laboratory conditions, but we have to play it in the real world and there are plenty of us who cannot.

Apologies in advance if my tone is harsh. However, it just does not seem logical to continue down a path you openly admit is not working.

JanH.

You keep claiming that the bug is rare as though that's some justification for the lack of action in resolving it. We've got only your word to go on that this is the case. All I know is that of the three people I know personally who own the game, only one is able to get it to run reliably.

My lock up issuees are somewhat different that what I saw on the video posted by another user, but the game locks up solid and requires me to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to stop it. This happens every single time I try to play the Ragnorok scenario. I know you blame the issue on my PC rather than your program but it far exceeds the recommended requirements. It is an Intel 9550 quad core at 2.83 MHz with 8 GB of RAM, Windows 7 -64 bit Home Premium, and an AMD 6870 1GB video card.

Well guess what? I bought a new PC which arrived yesterday. I spent the evening getting it set up and re-installing everything. This morning I decided to fire up NWAC to see if it would run. Same scenario, same lock up. The new PC is an Intel Core i7 3930K 6 Core 12MB Hyperthreading Processor Overclocked to 4.2GHZ with 16 GB of RAM and two AMD 7970 video cards running a fresh install of Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium. Brand new system, fresh install, and the game doesn't run. That's two for two on my PCs yet you claim that this bug is rare and act as though our bringing it to your attention is bothersome.

I have to wonder just how you define rare.

We haven't reported back to you guys because we are still not able to reproduce the bug. I know that is very frustrating to hear, but it is the fact. The vast majority of players do not experience the problem.

Instead of having 10 people sitting for three months trying to replicate the bug under lab condtions Why dont you just come to my house. ill give you a brownies and a glass of milk and we can sit down and ill replicate the bug on my computer in under 2 minutes. and then you can photograph my computer and check for electromagnetism and use healing crystals ands stuff whatever you tech guys do. and then you can find a solution.

or solution two. can you name the system specs on your test rigs so folks can know what the damn game needs to run.

I'm very sorry to hear that no solution has been found to this issue yet. Sadly I can not do so much myself to help resolve it (running fine on my machine) and I'm no developer. But I just wanted to explain something though. When we say that we have been unable to reproduce the issue we don't say it doesn't exist which some people seem to believe. Anyone familiar with software development probably knows that in order to fix bugs you need to know what is triggering them and this is where the whole reproduction bit comes into play.

In short, we ARE working on it and we all wish it was easier to find the solution. I understand your frustration and can only ask for further help collecting information that can help us figure it all out. Our sincere apologies for the slow progress.

Best Regards
BjornB

we say that we have been unable to reproduce the issue we don't say it doesn't exist which some people seem to believe.
Respectfully, I don't see anyone saying that. What I hear is lots of folks saying that they can pretty much reproduce the bug(s) on demand. One user posted a video and another says he can do it in 2 minutes on his computer. Why isn't TTG taking advantage of these claims? Even a technophobe like me knows that there is plenty of free software out there that allows you remote access to someone else's computer. Why not just take a few minutes to install it and then watch what the guy(s) do to cause the bugs? Then, you can delve further into the machine specifications of the host computer. Of course, that's just one potential avenue of investigation.

Respectfully, I don't see anyone saying that. What I hear is lots of folks saying that they can pretty much reproduce the bug(s) on demand. One user posted a video and another says he can do it in 2 minutes on his computer. Why isn't TTG taking advantage of these claims? Even a technophobe like me knows that there is plenty of free software out there that allows you remote access to someone else's computer. Why not just take a few minutes to install it and then watch what the guy(s) do to cause the bugs? Then, you can delve further into the machine specifications of the host computer. Of course, that's just one potential avenue of investigation.

If the guys don't know how to reproduce then a description of what you do would probably be enough. If it happens in 2 minutes maybe a video would be nice.
I have to say I don't really get why they can't reproduce it. It's absolutely not random for what I see, and it doesn't seem to be machine dependent, nor it seems to happen infrequently.

Guys, just try this and tell me if it happens only on my machine:
- Create scenario with 12 Nimitz class ACs with default wing onboard
- run it
- select all groups (left mouse button drag)
- click air operations button (plane ;) ) - it can take few seconds to open
- from left side drop down menu select F-35C
- from right side drop down menu select AttackSurface
- click on the F-35s until all of them are added to the launch queue (top window is full, botom one is empty)
- send them all to patrol on the map (right mouse button drag)

Game locks up in about 5 seconds. It's easy to observe as the CPU load will drop to 0%

I'm very sorry to hear that no solution has been found to this issue yet. Sadly I can not do so much myself to help resolve it (running fine on my machine) and I'm no developer. But I just wanted to explain something though. When we say that we have been unable to reproduce the issue we don't say it doesn't exist which some people seem to believe. Anyone familiar with software development probably knows that in order to fix bugs you need to know what is triggering them and this is where the whole reproduction bit comes into play.

In short, we ARE working on it and we all wish it was easier to find the solution. I understand your frustration and can only ask for further help collecting information that can help us figure it all out. Our sincere apologies for the slow progress.

Best Regards
BjornB

Thank you, Paradox. I can now only look at you guys to try and fix this, as the turbopeople seem absolutely clueless on how to fix this utterly unplayable game (2 mins max before freezing). Let's hope there's some sunshine left after the dark tunnel we're in now.

Ps: JanH, I would advise you to go take up some communication lessons. I think BjornB can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Guys, just try this and tell me if it happens only on my machine:
- Create scenario with 12 Nimitz class ACs with default wing onboard
- run it
- select all groups (left mouse button drag)
- click air operations button (plane ;) ) - it can take few seconds to open
- from left side drop down menu select F-35C
- from right side drop down menu select AttackSurface
- click on the F-35s until all of them are added to the launch queue (top window is full, botom one is empty)
- send them all to patrol on the map (right mouse button drag)

Game locks up in about 5 seconds. It's easy to observe as the CPU load will drop to 0%

I tried doing what you said and it froze my game as well. But is this really related to the freezing issues reported earlier (I was under the impression that happened during "normal" missions)? It will be looked into nonetheless. Thank you!

If people have other instructions like these, feel free to share!

Best Regards

Thanks very much, BjornB for verifying. I think it is related to one of the freezing issue (engine crashing to be exact). All symptoms are the same, this is just quickest way to trigger this every time I found. It can be done other ways (say - you have two SAGs with Kirovs/Slavas and launch a salvo at them - in 50% time the moment they detect the missiles, game crashes), but this one is 100% repeatable. I have a Logitech G15 keyboard, so I can monitor core/mem usage and have pretty nice verification which of the freezing issues just happened.

Thanks very much, BjornB for verifying. I think it is related to one of the freezing issue (engine crashing to be exact). All symptoms are the same, this is just quickest way to trigger this every time I found. It can be done other ways (say - you have two SAGs with Kirovs/Slavas and launch a salvo at them - in 50% time the moment they detect the missiles, game crashes), but this one is 100% repeatable. I have a Logitech G15 keyboard, so I can monitor core/mem usage and have pretty nice verification which of the freezing issues just happened.

Gold !

I am having this problem just playing "Baltic Breakout" mission (no Ragnarol Armada or another massive mission). Just when the soviet fleet has in range any of my planes and starts shooting a missile salvo, the games freezes and the time compression becomes crazy.