• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SilentScream

Private
7 Badges
Aug 2, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
Hi,

There is this issue in Victoria 2 AHD where when the date changes, you notice this slight lag when you scroll the map, which gets worse at full speed. I've changed the update_time inside the settings.txt to 0.100000 and things work pretty well now. My question is, what exactly does this setting do and how does it affect the overall gameplay ?

Also, I have to limit the frames to 60 otherwise when I move the mouse over the provinces and the tooltips change, there is another kind of lag. Why does this happen ? ( this problem is present in all paradox grand strategy games I own )

Thanks.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 3,2Ghz
RAM: 4Gb
PSU: Corsair 550vx
GPU: Gigabyte 550 ti gtx

Hi,

There is this issue in Victoria 2 AHD where when the date changes, you notice this slight lag when you scroll the map, which gets worse at full speed. I've changed the update_time inside the settings.txt to 0.100000 and things work pretty well now. My question is, what exactly does this setting do and how does it affect the overall gameplay ?
I'm not a programmer, nor do I have any ability to look at the source code to understand what update_time does, but if I would hazard a guess, I would say that the option probably has something to do with how often the game updates things that need such, i.e. pops, budgets, and so on. If this is true, then it's quite possible slowing down these updates may cause general weirdness like pops not grabbing goods or building factories as quickly as they should. I suppose the only way to really tell would be to run a game for a few decades and compare it to another where update_time wasn't changed.

I would bet it was something to do with the graphics/map updating, as you say it lagged when moving the map.

It has something to do with how often the map is updated. If it works, good for you! :)

Hi,

Setting it lower than 1 will slow down the game engine and improve graphical rendering, setting it higher than 1 will speed it up the engine at the expense of graphical smoothness. I, for instance, am playing with it set at 4, because my graphics card can handle it but my CPU is fairly slow.

Setting it lower than 1 will slow down the game engine and improve graphical rendering, setting it higher than 1 will speed it up the engine at the expense of graphical smoothness. I, for instance, am playing with it set at 4, because my graphics card can handle it but my CPU is fairly slow.

But this lag is not something graphical related, it's like when the date changes the cpu operations bog the game down for a fraction of a second, which is weird. I mean a quad would suffice, I can play it while prime95 (64 bit) is running, but by itself it can't handle the load ? This is common to all paradox games I've played except CK II, which I guess is better optimized.

Also, I've noticed myself that the game does look to run a little slower at 0.1000. At 0.2000 it looks like it's running faster and still with no hiccups. I would like to hear from a Paradox official in this matter to find out if this setting has a big impact on my gameplay.

Last edited:
But this lag is not something graphical related, it's like when the date changes the cpu operations bog the game down for a fraction of a second, which is weird. I mean a quad would suffice, I can play it while prime95 (64 bit) is running, but by itself it can't handle the load ? This is common to all paradox games I've played except CK II, which I guess is better optimized.
It's likely due to the relative size of the two games, yes CKII has all those characters to keep track of, but they don't have several dozen items they require daily updates on like the POPs, and CKII only has Europe and some of the surrounding land to use as well. Then there is the likely, as you noted, fact that CKII is simply better optimized due to being Paradox's recent release, and Paradox not taking full advantage of multi-cores for whatever reason before then.