• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pardon me, rookie modder here and new guy here.

I'm currently attempting to make a comprehensive overhaul mod of the units and tech tree and have a few questions before I get waist deep in this any more than I already have (research, etc).

Can anyone list the files that need to be modified in order to add a new division and/or brigade?
I'm not asking for a how to -- I can attempt to sort through that myself (and honestly, it's sorta fun) -- merely a list of the applicable files.

I've looked around through several mods that have added units and I can't seem to find the files that would make sense (specifically the intuitive 'unit modifiers' [for terrain and weather conditions] files are unedited in those mods [New World Order and World in Flames]), so I'm basically lost.

While on that subject, is there any way to edit the leader bonuses? That is to say, if you create a new Armor Division (Say, if I made an entire division around the Landkreuzer types) it would only make sense that a Panzer Leader's effect would cover it... or am I missing something (If the bonuses were applied based on Unit Composition, then it would make sense as is)?

Please forgive me if the these have already been answered or are plain obvious.
I'm new here and the unit creation guide (listed in the 'Guide to Modding: Useful Tools and List of Mods' sticky) has been removed.
Thank you for your time.

Ah, I see. Thank you, that helped a great deal.

However, having read that now, it leaves me with a few of my original problems still intact.

Specifically, how to add unit modifiers (terrain and weather effects on the unit/brigade) and edit the leader bonuses (or if I even need too).
If anyone knows on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Actually, that made me think of something. World in Flames AIO v2 actually does use the Modifiers file, whereas NWOII does not.
So, at the very least, I'm guessing that the Unit Modifiers (modifiers.csv) actually does work the way it seems it ought to, so never mind on that regard.

That does however leave the Leader Bonus question standing, since that one isn't explained very well anywhere that I can tell.

Edit 2:
Also, while one that sort of thing, is there any way to enable mission types for certain units via event or technology (or just from the get go and add the score in whenever you feel it appropriate)?
That is to say, i feel like this has been asked before, but I'm curious if it's possible to enable Shore Bombardment for Destroyers and Light Cruisers, just with relatively low scores.

Last edited:
If you add a new unit or brigade type you should definitely add a column with its modifiers to modifiers.csv or brigade_modifiers.csv respectively or otherwise you'll experience incorrect modifiers for all units/brigades in the game.

For editing of leader traits I would recommend you to use this powerful tool: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?755222-DH-Capable-Data-Editor

Any ships with high enough shorebombardment value (defined in the unit models file) can do Shore Bombardments. You cannot enable a mission to a specific unit type only as mission availability and efficiency are defined for the country and apply to all units that can do that mission.

You don't use which clause:
Code:
		command = { type = flag_ext where = SOV which = "_RSF" } #change name to Soviet Russia
		command = { type = name where = SOV which = SOVSFR } #change flag to Soviet Russia
====>
		command = { type = name where = SOV } #change name from Soviet Russia to Soviet Union
		command = { type = flag_ext where = SOV } #change flag from Soviet Russia to Soviet Union

Quick question, how do I change the number of tech slots a nation gets depending on its industry? I want to give 60-80 IC, 8 slots, and 80+ 10.

In 'misc.txt' Hit - (Ctrl + F) then type "research" and you can change the values there.....

Is it possible to have a country with no owned provinces on the map without it being automatically annexed? I know that some mods have got GOD, but I actually don't know if they give it an owned province. Right now my two countries I want to exist but not on the map are automatically annexed as of day 1.

If you add a new unit or brigade type you should definitely add a column with its modifiers to modifiers.csv or brigade_modifiers.csv respectively or otherwise you'll experience incorrect modifiers for all units/brigades in the game.

For editing of leader traits I would recommend you to use this powerful tool: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?755222-DH-Capable-Data-Editor

Any ships with high enough shorebombardment value (defined in the unit models file) can do Shore Bombardments. You cannot enable a mission to a specific unit type only as mission availability and efficiency are defined for the country and apply to all units that can do that mission.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I do have a problem, however.
That tool will be very useful in making the techs and units (thank you very much for pointing me to it, you probably saved me a few hundred hours there), but I'm not entirely sure it'll help insofar as what I was needing.
Either that, or I'm missing something again, which I must admit happens quite frequently.

Anyway, as an alternative to my original query (which I think I worded poorly anyway), how do the Panzer Leader and Sea Wolf traits calculate their bonuses?
Are they instructed towards specific units, do they function based on a unit's 'RealUnitType' setting, or do they calculate based upon unit composition... or is it something else entirely?
I ask because my mod adds a few armored divisions and submarine types and I don't want to leave them out of the fun.

While on that subject, the game implies/out-right-states that Interceptors gain bonuses against Bombers (All Bombers or just Strategic Bombers, I can't recall atm).
How is this done?
One of the units I'm trying to add is a HiMAS (High to Medium Altitude Defense) SAM/ABM unit/base (as an Air Unit) as a sort of expensive late-game air defense option (my eventual goal is to reach all the way to 2050 in technology, but I'm aiming for the more realistic goal of 2000ad right now... either way, SAM sites were a big thing during the Cold War).
That being said, is it possible to make the missile kill itself after use, like the flying rockets, at the same time?
(I ask because I can't find anything that makes the rockets do so, yet from my experience they always do... of course, I could be mistaken.)
Again, is this based on the unit's 'RealUnitType' setting (my guess atm) or am I missing something?

Secondly (thirdly?), can I ask what the actual effects of the additional Leader Traits are, beyond what is put in the modding documentation 'leader traits.txt' file?
Because the HOI2 Editor listed quite a few more than that .txt file did, and after just loading everything onto a test leader I found that they all load in-game as what the editor lists them as.
Or are they merely artifacts of the engine or something similar, meaning that they do nothing but look pretty?

Also (I should probably save this for another time, but it's on my mind atm), is it possible to allow certain naval units (divisions) to upgrade while leaving others as they are (non-upgradable)?
Some of the new units I'm adding are actually squadrons, flotillas, and/or fleets, so it stands to reason that they could be upgraded by gradually swapping out the individual ships (at 1:1 unit cost, 0.8:1 time [same crew = less training]), but individual ships shouldn't be upgradable.

That's all for now, I guess, and sorry for asking so many questions.
Thanks for your time, all.

... how do the Panzer Leader and Sea Wolf traits calculate their bonuses?
Are they instructed towards specific units, do they function based on a unit's 'RealUnitType' setting, or do they calculate based upon unit composition... or is it something else entirely?
Yes, it is the 'RealUnitType' setting that matters. Panzer Leader give bonuses to all mechanized, light_armor and armor unit types and Sea Wolf gives bonus to all submarine and nuclear_submarine unit types.

While on that subject, the game implies/out-right-states that Interceptors gain bonuses against Bombers (All Bombers or just Strategic Bombers, I can't recall atm).
How is this done?
interceptor 'RealUnitType' gets combat bonus when fighting against air units containing cas, strategic_bomber, tactical_bomber or naval_bomber units. The bonus value is set in misc.txt.

One of the units I'm trying to add is a HiMAS (High to Medium Altitude Defense) SAM/ABM unit/base (as an Air Unit) as a sort of expensive late-game air defense option (my eventual goal is to reach all the way to 2050 in technology, but I'm aiming for the more realistic goal of 2000ad right now... either way, SAM sites were a big thing during the Cold War).
That being said, is it possible to make the missile kill itself after use, like the flying rockets, at the same time?
(I ask because I can't find anything that makes the rockets do so, yet from my experience they always do... of course, I could be mistaken.)
Again, is this based on the unit's 'RealUnitType' setting (my guess atm) or am I missing something?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Rockets in the game are meant to attack ground targets and I don't think they can be used as an AA weapon.

Secondly (thirdly?), can I ask what the actual effects of the additional Leader Traits are, beyond what is put in the modding documentation 'leader traits.txt' file?
Because the HOI2 Editor listed quite a few more than that .txt file did, and after just loading everything onto a test leader I found that they all load in-game as what the editor lists them as.
Or are they merely artifacts of the engine or something similar, meaning that they do nothing but look pretty?
Hm... It looks that the 'leader traits.txt' file is outdated as it contains only some of the possible leader traits. Those not listed there (and found in the tool) are about combat event chances and can also be acquired during the game while the leader is in combat.

Also (I should probably save this for another time, but it's on my mind atm), is it possible to allow certain naval units (divisions) to upgrade while leaving others as they are (non-upgradable)?
Some of the new units I'm adding are actually squadrons, flotillas, and/or fleets, so it stands to reason that they could be upgraded by gradually swapping out the individual ships (at 1:1 unit cost, 0.8:1 time [same crew = less training]), but individual ships shouldn't be upgradable.
Yes, you can enable any unit type and model for upgrade by editing its unit file:
Code:
	- Upgrade type and model can be specified in brigade/division files.
		For example to upgrade LArm-2 to ARM-2 add armor = 2 into the model = { } entry for L-Arm-2 in light_armor.txt:
		# 2 - Improved Light Tank
		model = {
			armor 	= 2	# Upgrade to ARM-2
			……..
		}	
	- This is optional and can be skipped. By default every unit/brigade is upgradeable to the next model of the same type with 2 exceptions:
		1. LArm-2 by default upgrades to ARM-2
		2. All ships by default do not upgrade
	- It is possible to specify upgrade to a model of the same type too.
		For example INT-4 can be set to upgrade to INT-7 directly and skip the two rocket interceptor models in interceptor.txt:
		model = { # Advanced Interceptor – 4
			interceptor = 7	# Upgrade to Basic Turbojet Interceptor – 7 directly
			….
		} 
	- It is also possible to forbid a specific model to be upgraded at all. To do that set its upgrade model to -2. 
		For example INT-6 could be set as non-upgradeable event if there is INT-7 model: 
		model = { # Improved Rocket Interceptor - 6	
			interceptor = -2	# Forbid upgrading of that model
			…
		}
		model = { # Basic Turbojet Interceptor – 7
			….
		}

So I had an idea....... Is there a way to make a tech give all (let's say) land units 80 experience as a default? With a tech or event that could be triggered by tech? What would I need to write as a code?

come hell or high water I can't get what this means:

Code:
ERROR : (Missing = in statement.) ' = 4' Line = 11 file = Mods\World in Conflict Work\scenarios\1989\brazil.inc

There are no "d" or "z" letters in line 11, I really have no clue.