• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The issue with the game is that the ai isn't aggressive enough... If they won't expand at every opportunity and you do, then there's only a small window in the beginning of the game where you're actually vulnerable to losing any wars. After you get big enough, it's just too easy to steamroller everything.

Succession crises can be interesting though. Try saving, reloading and playing as the underdog lol.

First advice, play as something other than a King title. Such as a Count or small Duke.

This. Start a game as count of Asturias e Oviedo, let's see how long you last. Or as one of the minor Ruriks and destroy your brothers or as any member of HRE and try to be independent. If you still think that it's easy, then you sir, are a liar.

Why everyone is arguing that the game is "hard/near impossible pros only" with certain counts/dukes etc...

You can achieve everything you want WITHOUT using force. It does not matter how much troops you have or provinces, or titles or anything...Only thing you need is 1 male child and that's it. And even this goal can be achieved at the start of the game using Ruler Editor...

The only obstacle with this game is:

Someone revoking/declaring war/annexing/you name it holding in you control assuming you are OP Count. This leads to immediate capitulation. Other than that...this game on its hardest is more managable than Granada in EU3!

Why everyone is arguing that the game is "hard/near impossible pros only" with certain counts/dukes etc...

You can achieve everything you want WITHOUT using force. It does not matter how much troops you have or provinces, or titles or anything...Only thing you need is 1 male child and that's it. And even this goal can be achieved at the start of the game using Ruler Editor...

Someone revoking/declaring war/annexing/you name it holding in you control assuming you are OP Count. This leads to immediate capitulation. Other than that...this game on its hardest is more managable than Granada in EU3!

depends on what you consider losing, you should not consider yourself to have 'won' if you own an insanely unstable empire you just inherited as some small king (you can change your culture to german/greek but abandoning your old culture is losing too right? :p)

Had a really fun game as Macon so far. Aquitaine was under Muslim rule for a while and I had around -80% warscore until France decided to Holy War for the same thing, they tried to raise Crown Authority so that I couldn't get the Duchy for myself, but I did.

The CA was Absolute for most the game, so eventually I revolted, then joined the HRE as they have Autonomous vassals and they gave me protection. I had enough to Usurp Lotharingia, but couldn't because we were the same realm. Then a crusade for Egypt appeared.

K62ZI.jpg

Formed Kingdom of Nubia and usurped Kingdom of Egypt.

HRE, cutting a clean split straight through France.

VoEiP.jpg

If you savescum. I've had games ending after 40 years, when my heir died while crusading without heirs; also, I've lost when I had no heirs and my brother inherited at age 54 with two grown sons - both assassinated - divorced elderly wife, married young one but he died before producing an heir.

The thing with this game that makes people think it's easy is that they don't allow disaster to happen, loading when shit happens. That way, everything can be easy.

I'm playing my first "serious" campaign as count of Clydesdale and it's been a riot. I'm fighting my 2nd war of independence against Malcolm The Cruel, king of Scotland (I wiped the floor with the Duke of Lothian in the 1st war). I admit to savescumming a bit just now but it's had sod all effect on my progress so may well not count.

Anyhow, I agree, the game is made much easier by the option to hire mercs (as long as you manage your cash). But conquest is not the point here. I plan to take over duchies of Lothian and Galloway and then focus purely on dynastic games, otherwise I could just hoard money, fabricate claims, hire mercs and kill kill kill. Seems a bit of a waste of a campaign tbh, I have Sengoku to quench my thirst for land and blood :)

I don't think the game is "too easy". It's what you want it to be. If you want to smash through British Isles and own, you certainly can. Is it fun the second, third time around? Not so much for me, I must say.

I always end up being some major power after 100 years of the game, my latest being only 20 years and having 4th largest army. Is this game too easy? Are there any ways of expansion I can leave out that are OP?

I try to roleplay, as I love roleplaying, but that doesn't always work either.

Poland - (First game, savescummed, learned a lot of mechanics)

England - (First MP game, played with friend, almost lost in the beginning but ended up getting Jerusalem and most of France through inheritance. Ended early because my friend is impatient and has a low attention span.)

Sicily - (Got CK2+ as I heard it makes the game harder. It was easy enough if I kept revolts down, but a lot of the 'balance' changes are just increasing number values, and I don't feel it too fun. I still managed to get Jerusalem and as a Pious ruler, called invasion on England and got all of it. Revolts were no problem at all. Still easy. )

Denmark - (Second MP game, most fun game so far, friend united Ireland as Connacht, and I inherited Poland through ingenious planning. Surprisingly a lot of female rulers, I managed to arrange marriages with Sweden, Ungvar, and Vitebsk. Friend is taking about 50% of my profits though, lol. )
I have a house rule of not using assassination (I find it too cheesy), it adds a bit of difficulty, mainly as it takes longer to achieve some things

If you savescum. I've had games ending after 40 years, when my heir died while crusading without heirs; also, I've lost when I had no heirs and my brother inherited at age 54 with two grown sons - both assassinated - divorced elderly wife, married young one but he died before producing an heir.

The thing with this game that makes people think it's easy is that they don't allow disaster to happen, loading when shit happens. That way, everything can be easy.

Bad luck is part of the game I assume eh? I am not breaking this game into tiny little peaces and point out problems in those, as I try to look whole and a bit outside of the box. Point is here that every start is playable and managable using diplomacy wise, army, province counts, titles and such as I stated are secondary in here.

As for savescummin it is a form of exploit in game and is in everyones shoulder's to use it or not.

Also everything depends on goals as stated in this thread, some play for WC, some plays for fun, some uses exploits and utilize strategies AI cannot and so on...Sandboxes are for that purpose.

Last edited:
One thing I'm not liking is that there's just not enough RP events. I liked how as a Count, the nobles felt closer to me and requested their wives be punished. But there could be more attachment to your country. Choosing generals for your military, with more skill with certain unit types would be a lovely mechanic to play with. Also, there just needs to be more attachment to the smaller things of your country.

One problem I see is how mid-game, it seems that every country is BRIGHT GREEN on the economy screen. How?! I guess it's just inflation :p