• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bmullins0118

Captain
47 Badges
Feb 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I always end up being some major power after 100 years of the game, my latest being only 20 years and having 4th largest army. Is this game too easy? Are there any ways of expansion I can leave out that are OP?

I try to roleplay, as I love roleplaying, but that doesn't always work either.

Poland - (First game, savescummed, learned a lot of mechanics)

England - (First MP game, played with friend, almost lost in the beginning but ended up getting Jerusalem and most of France through inheritance. Ended early because my friend is impatient and has a low attention span.)

Sicily - (Got CK2+ as I heard it makes the game harder. It was easy enough if I kept revolts down, but a lot of the 'balance' changes are just increasing number values, and I don't feel it too fun. I still managed to get Jerusalem and as a Pious ruler, called invasion on England and got all of it. Revolts were no problem at all. Still easy. )

Denmark - (Second MP game, most fun game so far, friend united Ireland as Connacht, and I inherited Poland through ingenious planning. Surprisingly a lot of female rulers, I managed to arrange marriages with Sweden, Ungvar, and Vitebsk. Friend is taking about 50% of my profits though, lol. )

Easy, dont start as major powers

Sicily was actually a Duke title, although independent.

I just remembered that I've played as Brandenburg once as a Duke in HRE, and it was pretty difficult. I'll try that out guys, thanks.

Play as the Count of Macon.

Good luck with that.

For ultimate challenge, play the Duke of the Khazars just north of the Alans and vassals of the Cumans. If you get to cover all of Khazaria, you have my eternal respect.

The "problem" is that you are starting as relatively strong and independent kingdoms. I pretty much only start to play on the "Count-Level," and work my way up from there. Whether this is any harder is of course in the eye of the beholder, and depending upon what count you play and where.

You never play in Spain?

Playing as count can on the surface appear extremely tedious. The secret is in expert diplomacy, marriages, claims.

You really need to build up about 150 gold which can take a long time. You'll need at least this amount to hire mercs for your first conquest.

In the meantime build up your court by inviting people with claims to your court and getting them married matrilinealy into your dynasty. Don't be ashamed of marrying cousins as keeping a core dynasty is essential.

So play a count in Spain:p

I also recommend the count of Vermandois. It's in Northern France near the HRE boarder. House Karling has direct lineage from Charlemagne, and your de jure Duchy is the royal duchy of France, so to expand you'll have to break into a new one.

Have fun.