+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 52 77 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Paradox Development Studio anything!

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unc15 View Post
    I know this has probably been asked millions of times:

So what's the story behind naming you studio "paradox?" Also, who came up with the idea of the current logo being used and why?
    Our then CEO, Nils Gulliksson, liked the name and made the logo for it himself, as he is a rather famous artist in some circles here in Sweden.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Fangathering Mainstay Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

where do you get your ideas for game design?

64 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyDeus VultVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Why is it that in every Paradox game, the .exe is never set to use more than 2 GB of memory? Is there any reason not to set the file header to "App can handle >2gb address space"? Is there any plan to change this default setting in the future?
    Sages such as Yao and Shun and Tyrants such as Chieh and Chou come but once a thousand generations. Mediocrities follow on the heels of each other; the rulers of the world are invariably among them. -- Han Fei Tzu
    When the lips are gone, the teeth are cold. -- Han Fei Tzu
    I have not been tested (with the responsibility of high office), so I have learned many (lesser) skills. -- Confucius
    Simplified characters are an abomination. -- Me

The cost of Steam:
    PI games not bought because of Steam: 19
    PDS games not bought because of Steam: 1

PDS games bought despite Steam: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Weijun View Post
    Why is it that in every Paradox game, the .exe is never set to use more than 2 GB of memory? Is there any reason not to set the file header to "App can handle >2gb address space"? Is there any plan to change this default setting in the future?
    Probably because a lot of customers are still using Win XP, which defaults to not allowing more than 2gb to be addressed.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

how much till the 1.6 patch and expansion for CK 2?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    V2 Beta500k club

Any chance of a HOI-like Korean War game?
    Self-proclaimed German Wehrmacht expert and Russian general extraordinaire
    Airpower? Who needs it when my army can beat your army to a pulp!

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Naselus is right.

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Wilding View Post
    None right now.

Johan Andersson

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagickaEuropa Universalis: Rome500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Wilding View Post
    I don't have any HoI game myself but I've played HoI3 a bit and with that small experience I'd say a mod about that would be epic!

And the question to blend into the mass:
    in case making a game you need to do extra historical research (if you don't have all details already) do you do it yourself during the work time or do you have someone to pay to do it to allow you to focus on game development alone?
    My modding stuff:
    Wave's modding guide:
    a tutorial for adding countries to EU: Rome, works with EU3 too!
    Wave's modding guide #2: Understanding and creating events

Ongoing AARs:
    Letters from wAAR - An experimental Rome AAR with Epigoni Mod
    Winner of the Best character writer of the week award 1/6/12
    This is SPARTA! Can the world be dominated by squads of 300 men swinging spears and crying the name of their home country?

Legions of Rome! RISE and show them all our might!

Private
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Do you guys take a proper lunch break?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

After a game (more exactly a RC) pass your own QA, has it to pass a Paradox Interactive QA too? Or, since you are one company, are working together when testing release candidates?
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

What is you're most favorite time period?
    I am the Emeror of the Intergalactic Roman Empire! Bow before my might!
    Current Game: Basiliea Rhomaion

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...amp-Taxes-AAR. A new AAR: HAIL BASILIEA RHOMAION!! ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!! A PPA MEIOU&Taxes AAR. Will it fail? Probably.

If you could only seek asylum in one country, would Ecuador be your first choice?

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by unc15 View Post
    If you could only seek asylum in one country, would Ecuador be your first choice?
    "Nature always obeys her own laws"
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Lore Lady Paradox Dev Team SolSara's Avatar
    200k clubEuropa Universalis 3500k club

Quote Originally Posted by powers View Post
    Do you guys take a proper lunch break?
    What is a proper lunch break? Some of us have lunch boxes and it takes between 15 to 30 minutes heating and eating them, others go out for a meal and that takes somewhere between 30 to 50 minutes depending on where you go. I sometimes eat at my desk if I have to leave early but I try to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by EU3NOOB View Post
    What is you're most favorite time period?
    The French Revolution. I love the The Women's March on Versailles and my thesis was a game manuscript based on the events of the French Revolution.
    Senior Lore Developer - Runemaster

Vita Brevis, Ars Longa

CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If you had infinite credit and infinite time to do it, what would your ultimate game be? (Type, univers, gameplay depth...)

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and GoldMajesty II CollectionSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Who is/are responsible for the maps of PDS games?

Lore Lady Paradox Dev Team SolSara's Avatar
    200k clubEuropa Universalis 3500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Zarine View Post
    If you had infinite credit and infinite time to do it, what would your ultimate game be? (Type, univers, gameplay depth...)
    I am a game writer at heart, so when I start thinking about games I want to do I usually start with the story. A female ex-soldier and her family transferred to a magical world trying to find her husband and child, an Assassin's Creed style game with a female protagonist during the French Revolution, a sequel to Little Big Adventure 2 or a sequel to Grim Fandango... I have plenty of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    Who is/are responsible for the maps of PDS games?
    I think Tegus has programmed some of the recent maps but some of the new programmers are also working on maps, Aerie has done the textures, 3D-models (buildings, soldiers, ports, trees...) and the terrain. The provinces all have their own unique RGB colour so the game will recognize the province of Paris for example. Someone has to paint them so that they are in their correct places and are looking good. I painted the provinces for CKII and used the old map from CK for the province's places, then distorted another map, a real map of Europe, and fitted the provinces in so that the coastlines would look good. Captain Gars did the same for Sengoku, so it is mostly the scripters' work to make sure all the provinces are in, at their correct places and have history files with all sorts of data in them.
    Senior Lore Developer - Runemaster

Vita Brevis, Ars Longa

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and GoldMajesty II CollectionSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information.
    Do you accept outside help or suggestion for games?

Fangathering Mainstay Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

How would you define a Grand Strategy Game?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 52 77 ... LastLast