• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know this has probably been asked millions of times:

So what's the story behind naming you studio "paradox?" Also, who came up with the idea of the current logo being used and why?

Our then CEO, Nils Gulliksson, liked the name and made the logo for it himself, as he is a rather famous artist in some circles here in Sweden.

Why is it that in every Paradox game, the .exe is never set to use more than 2 GB of memory? Is there any reason not to set the file header to "App can handle >2gb address space"? Is there any plan to change this default setting in the future?

Why is it that in every Paradox game, the .exe is never set to use more than 2 GB of memory? Is there any reason not to set the file header to "App can handle >2gb address space"? Is there any plan to change this default setting in the future?

Probably because a lot of customers are still using Win XP, which defaults to not allowing more than 2gb to be addressed.

Any chance of a HOI-like Korean War game?

I don't have any HoI game myself but I've played HoI3 a bit and with that small experience I'd say a mod about that would be epic!

And the question to blend into the mass:
in case making a game you need to do extra historical research (if you don't have all details already) do you do it yourself during the work time or do you have someone to pay to do it to allow you to focus on game development alone?

After a game (more exactly a RC) pass your own QA, has it to pass a Paradox Interactive QA too? Or, since you are one company, are working together when testing release candidates?

What is you're most favorite time period?

Do you guys take a proper lunch break?

What is a proper lunch break? Some of us have lunch boxes and it takes between 15 to 30 minutes heating and eating them, others go out for a meal and that takes somewhere between 30 to 50 minutes depending on where you go. I sometimes eat at my desk if I have to leave early but I try to avoid it.

What is you're most favorite time period?

The French Revolution. I love the The Women's March on Versailles and my thesis was a game manuscript based on the events of the French Revolution.

If you had infinite credit and infinite time to do it, what would your ultimate game be? (Type, univers, gameplay depth...)

I am a game writer at heart, so when I start thinking about games I want to do I usually start with the story. A female ex-soldier and her family transferred to a magical world trying to find her husband and child, an Assassin's Creed style game with a female protagonist during the French Revolution, a sequel to Little Big Adventure 2 or a sequel to Grim Fandango... I have plenty of ideas :)

Who is/are responsible for the maps of PDS games?

I think Tegus has programmed some of the recent maps but some of the new programmers are also working on maps, Aerie has done the textures, 3D-models (buildings, soldiers, ports, trees...) and the terrain. The provinces all have their own unique RGB colour so the game will recognize the province of Paris for example. Someone has to paint them so that they are in their correct places and are looking good. I painted the provinces for CKII and used the old map from CK for the province's places, then distorted another map, a real map of Europe, and fitted the provinces in so that the coastlines would look good. Captain Gars did the same for Sengoku, so it is mostly the scripters' work to make sure all the provinces are in, at their correct places and have history files with all sorts of data in them.