• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is your plan to deal with the 5% dissent? Do you lower it a little or do you place all IC in CG and get rid of it in 5-7 days, even if that means no IC for builds?

lets say i want to take a similar approach but i am very bad at handling practicals, which other division would you suggest as the core of your army?

cause i tried getting mech before the poland war starts but i failed miserably :D

Infantry supported by motorized is very good. You don't need mechanized forces as early as I am aiming for them. A division of 2 motorized+2 tank destroyers gets combined arms bonus and can act as your early breakthrough unit.

TD uses artillery practical. You can build up ART practical by building arty (obviously) or fixed AA guns.

Great presentation and explanation of your build-up Amoral. :)

I notice your build plan for the Heer doesn't start off until late 1938, does this give you enough time to build up a sufficient force?

Do you plan on building much regular infantry or will you be trying to go for a smaller, elite mechanised army?

My plan is to have
200 infantry brigades
200 artillery brigades
50 mech brigades
100 motorized brigades
150 Tank Destroyers.
50 cavalry
50 antitank guns
----------------------
800 brigades total, for the great army effect

21 CAG
22 CAS
24 Int
8 Tac
------
75 = great air force

6 CV
3 CVL
3 CA
26 CL

Had to back and edit this image. I thought I had built 50 infantry (2INF + 2ART) and 45 cavalry (2CAV + 2 AT) divisions. But when they finished production in August there were only 25 and 20. I ordered 25 Motorized divisions (2MOT+2TD) and 25 ore infantry divisions (2INF + 2ART).

Last edited:
Great update. I'm curious about your thinking with your distribution of leadership. From the looks of it, you're prioritizing Officer Recruitment over Research. Wouldn't you want to be reversing that in these earlier stages?

Great update. I'm curious about your thinking with your distribution of leadership. From the looks of it, you're prioritizing Officer Recruitment over Research. Wouldn't you want to be reversing that in these earlier stages?

Like you say, I'm trying to recruit lots of officers, but I'm still not going to reach a 100% ratio. That means every officer I do recruit will go towards cancelling that penalty. That's more valueable than most technologies.

Also, technology gets cheaper if you wait until after your military buildup. It can be twice as fast in some cases. Especially doctrine research (which relies mostly on combat experience) is very expensive if you don't build up practical knowledge first.

I have a question. How does the time and cost of the CVL's go down from August 22, 1937 till the November 27th date? Practicals were at zero.

I have a question. How does the time and cost of the CVL's go down from August 22, 1937 till the November 27th date? Practicals were at zero.

I'm not sure. Maybe production efficiency tech up? I don't think that should change the price though. Regular carriers also dropped in cost.

I'll go back to the save and see if I can figure out what date it changed, and why.

Update: So the answer is that switching to volunteer army also makes ships slightly cheaper. I thought it only affected divisions built as reserves.

Last edited:
I've been trying to follow along but I seem to have a couple of differences. For example on 8/22/37 you upgraded 50 infantry to motorized. It cost you 1.34 each and they were scheduled to finish on 11/6/37. I did the exact same thing but mine cost 1.40 each and will take 5 more days (11/10/37). My mobile practical at the time was 3.0. Can you tell me who your minister was from '36 for the army?

And then when they did finish I had 18.2 practical while you show 20.4.

And the calvary division that you started on 11/6 where they 2xCAV or what?

I'm following the volunteer and minimal traing so those can't be the issue.

Hes got Ludendorf ( Mobile Practical) as Army minister - see his post on June 20th.

You're unlikely to be running a perfect mirror of his game - there's not enough information to do a perfect mirror and you're unlikely to get the exactly same trade deals or events, which then affect being able to squeeze out an extra unit here or there with a boost to practical. Id presume he delivered a few more CAV brigades than you did, or did so somewhat earlier than you. Or you didn't have Ludendorf so your Mobile practical decayed faster than his. He's also said hes going to be constantly researching the IC efficiency and capacity techs so if you've dropped back on those then that would also explain it.

One point Id note is that I'm not sure I agree with the rushing on the research efficiency techs on the Industry tab. They offer a few extra percent off the research time in days - so spending 400+ LP Days to save 2-8 days on other techs. Id rather push that LP into Officers whilst I still have Two or Three Year draft, then come back to those techs in late 38/early 39 when I'm running Volunteer Army and have already built up a huge officer pool. Minor quibble though.

Trades aren't the important thing. And I can always 'cheat' in more supplies or oil or rares if need be. My main concern is being able to build the units in question. I've been pretty much doing the same techs. And to fix things I can run a game with Ludendorf as minister as see what the practical would be on 8/16/37 then modify the save game to reflect that.

So my goal is to duplicate the builds, and be close on the other stuff. For example, I had Anschluss both before and after his date. But I went into the save file and modified it to make sure I got it on or before the date he did.