• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So much infantry as Germany? I firmly believe that's a poor choice. Infantry is weak and exposes
you to heavy loss of manpower, which is one of the most important issues for Germany.
I would be building nothing but motorized, armor and mechanized, and a large airforce with plenty of bombers.
Supply is not a big issue in Russia. With a large army of armor, motorized and mechanized,
and massive bombings, the bulk of the Soviet army can be destroyed in the first two weeks of
the war, not deeper than 5 or 6 provinces into the Soviet territory, overruning most of the units.

So much infantry as Germany? I firmly believe that's a poor choice. Infantry is weak and exposes
you to heavy loss of manpower, which is one of the most important issues for Germany.
I would be building nothing but motorized, armor and mechanized, and a large airforce with plenty of bombers.
Supply is not a big issue in Russia. With a large army of armor, motorized and mechanized,
and massive bombings, the bulk of the Soviet army can be destroyed in the first two weeks of
the war, not deeper than 5 or 6 provinces into the Soviet territory, overruning most of the units.

I have to disagree. I find that supply is the only problem with Russia. Remember on very hard that supply problems are doubled from normal. Also, my divisions are binary (2INF) instead of triangular (3INF), so my 100 infantry divisions only translate to 66 in a lot of armies.

Reading through this AAR has motivated me as Im sure it has many others to do a play through as Germany. Now if I could only get my copy of FTM to work I would be set

I'm glad everyone likes the AAR :). But I want to emphasize that in a singleplayer game this may (or may not) be a very strong strategy, but it suffers from not being terribly fun. I only have 3 different kinds of divisions and my navy is homogenous. It is hard to form any sort of attachment to any ship or division when everything is an identical cog in a big machine. I think there are 'better' ways to play, creating more variety in your forces also creates more interesting situations.

You don't have to take things to extremes to get benefits from understanding practical knowledge.

You can use units that share practicals. I personally prefer to have a variety units so I can customize task forces for missions... The down side of having a variety units is that you need to research more technologies. On the other hand, I would prefer to have a small / medium sized but highly advanced military and therefore a small/ medium officer corps, so it works for GER / USA/ ENG. Japan, Italy and the USSR require modifications.

It is interesting to compare your approach with Secret Master's.

It's always interesting for me to see how others play the same game. What makes your AAR entertaining is that you don't do many things the way I do (when I play Germany) and these offer opportunities to learn and explore different ways of thinking even if i might not agree with them all. This keeps the game alive for me. Otherwise I think I'd find myself playing to same way over and over again which can get boring fast. I, for one, appreciate seeing your perspective on the game and eagerly await more! Game on!

Was able to get my copy of FTM working and it has been a good learning experience playing along with your tactics. Thanks for all the detailed charts and strategies, can't wait for the next update.

I will definitely admit it has been interesting to read this. Especially since I note that Amoral queues up his divisions as brigades, something which I only tend to do in small batches. I generally at least leave the base divisions queued as divisions, so binary 2x2 gets queued up with the 2 front-line brigades built in. Though I freely admit I didn't think of building AT and upgrading to TD. Never had bothered to check and see if it could be done, to be honest.

Great tips. I raised the threat of France with 10 spies and boosted ruling party in Italy with about 5 spies (185 relations).
Italy was ready to join the next day (29 Nov 36) my 1st run of IC completed. Their neutrality was 24% and highest threat France was 35.4.
French neutrality was still 77% so maybe I should stop? France generated also 35.4 threat to me, and half of that to ROM, POR. Slightly less than half to SU and slightly more than half to YUG.
Selecting Nat China instead of Japan as a potential ally generated 6.3 threat to UK (87% neutrality) and 3.9 to USA (96% neutrality) at 29.11.1936. I expect UK/USA to start gearing up later than with JAP.
Anchsluss became available 26.12.1937.

Treaty of Munich when? I'm inclining towards postponing it. Too much threat. Portugal can be asked to join in Feb 38 ("impossible" though). Romania is also in my corner, but 40 neutrality prevents business. I'm investing a lot more to dip. With 4 to influence US strategic resources are not available for Allies anymore. Soon Netherlands either.

Last edited:
Tick tack tick tack... The tension is rising :)

Seems that you've either hit the 800 brigade target or come pretty close to it (counting 660 brigades above and presuming there are more brigades you haven't detailed - the LARM, AC and ENG you start with for example and MTN you inherit). The supplies, resources and fuel stockpiles are all above target. All that's left is what tech level the units are up to (within reason - you cant get aircraft up to 1940 levels as the 1940 level doesn't exist, and ships take ages to upgrade) and the 90% officer ratio which I'd be fairly confident you have hit if you poured everything into Officers from April onwards. Even if you didn't reach it, I'm pretty sure you could have reached it if you weren't rushing the Agriculture/Mechanical and Electronic Computer techs and had instead pushed those LP Days into Officers whilst running 3 year draft laws through 1936/1937.

Either way its demonstrated that IC building and focused practical builds are a very viable choice for Germany, especially if aiming for a late 1939 or early 1940 war, even more so on Normal difficulty - useful AAR which at the very least disproves the commonly voiced idea that Germany (or any of the majors tbh) can only pick two from the options of a powerful army, navy or airforce which is then used to justify sub-optimal builds like BBs or BCs for a navy.

Indeed there are over 800 brigades. I also have 25 divisions of Cavalry with AT guns, which are waiting upgrade. I have five square infantry divisions to act as marines, and I have five divisions which are 2Inf + 2 Eng for attacks into areas where artillery or mobile units would be combat ineffective (across a river into a city, or across a river into a marsh). Also 6 light armour, 1 motorized, 1 armoured car, 1 MP and 1 Infantry brigades.

Very nice charts.
I'm wondering which nations are part of the Axis at this time ?
In 1936 Italy and Ethiopia joins. Romania and Hungary in 1937-38 ?

You planned to have Nationalist China in the Axis faction too, how is that going ? Have you done anything to prevent the USA to join the Allies too soon ?
For Netherlands, what's the situation ? Your Operational plans looks like you don't want to touch them, right ? Are they ready to join the Axis faction ?