Closed Thread
Page 82 of 123 FirstFirst ... 7 32 57 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2457

Thread: Magna Mundi cancelled

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

WHAT IF:

Magna Mundi was a bait to harvest as much resources from all sources possible i.e Paradox, and concentrate only a little to no work into the actual game, but instead tunnel everyhting gained including money, programming knowledge, possible useful info about game mechanics etc... into a new project under developement started around the same time Magna Mundi was? Knowing that the game would be cancelled and relying on that making those who developed the game looks like a victim, and Paradox looks like a an agressor, thus allowing secretly developing the game which will be released soon after whole drama thing is over and gaining all income and fanbase to themselves without the fear from being sued?

Makes sense yes no?
    Europa Universalis 3 = Because conquering the world is what we all dream about.

Europa Universalis 4 = Because conquering your closest rival is what we all dream about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vijfde Colonne View Post
    The only thing I realise now is that I really, really want to play this game. Best mod ever = best game ever.
    Both of those statements are terrible exaggerations that are far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Impi View Post
    Both of those statements are terrible exaggerations that are far from the truth.
    Because apparently subjectivity does not exist.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    WHAT IF:

Magna Mundi was a bait to harvest as much resources from all sources possible i.e Paradox, and concentrate only a little to no work into the actual game, but instead tunnel everyhting gained including money, programming knowledge, possible useful info about game mechanics etc... into a new project under developement started around the same time Magna Mundi was? Knowing that the game would be cancelled and relying on that making those who developed the game looks like a victim, and Paradox looks like a an agressor, thus allowing secretly developing the game which will be released soon after whole drama thing is over and gaining all income and fanbase to themselves without the fear from being sued?

Makes sense yes no?
    While I don't think that was the intend from the beginning, as we can see Paradox got a little bit suspicious after testing "release canditates" from a game that is 27(?) month in development.

I'm wondering, reading the latest "announcement" UV has an office, has servers, several pcs (5+) and lot's of hardware stuff. Who paid for all this?
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorapter View Post
    That's how development works, at least if you want to be an ongoing concern. It isn't in any way unusual, in fact it is completely normal. If Paradox announces EU4 tomorrow it doesn't mean that suddenly Vic2/ HOI3/ CK2 end up on the scrapheap because someone is working on a new title.

The classic example is art assets, they almost always get finished before anything else, so if there isn't something else to do they all sit around twiddling their thumbs- or get fired. If you want to successfully pitch a new game and thus stay in business and keep people employed you better have something set up for when your current project finishes before your current project finishes, else you end up like a Troika. That and associated issues like pipelining are not anything other than common sense, and problems with that is why you tend to get large layoffs associated with games finishing development (or alternatively rushed products like Dragon Age 2 where you had two games with overlapping demands). The only potential problem would be if cash from Paradox were being used for the new project, but there is no actual evidence of that, just "honest criticism".
    It's not unusual, no, but it does demonstrate a timeline that may be incompatable with the level of ongoing support that the game may need, given the apparent status of the project. If, speaking hypothetically, the game needed ten years of development, but they expected they could do it in five, they're left with two choices at that point; cancel the project they had lined up for the second five years to continue work on the first, which may create serious budget issues and may cause issues with anyone they had approached for involvement in the project, or ship the project in a substandard state, hoping that either they can fix any problems in their spare time, or that their customers are able to overlook the flaws.

Given that UV hardly has any money as it is, which sounds more likely?

WHAT IF:

Makes sense yes no?
    ...Not a lick. Why go through all the trouble of making a fake game, alienating your fans, upsetting your publisher, and trashing your reputation instead of just delivering the promised game, and using that experience as the basis of another? Or laying out an argument as to why you felt your secret project would be a better use of resources?

To say nothing of how suspiciously fast the release of the secret project would be, and the likelyhood of someone talking would be...

Still, there have been stranger stories in game development. History has demonstrated that being utterly and completely illogical is no bar to someone actually doing it .

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThronePride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Makes sense yes no?
    No.
    "The tension between promoting democracy and promoting human rights, when newly enfranchised peoples turn out not to subscribe to the ideals of the Enlightenment, is the dirty secret of the human rights movement. As the expanding franchise continues to expose the fissure between the two ideals, human rights advocates are finally going to have to choose between them."

On Probation
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Homero View Post
    Its a silly, poor,agressive and ill-intentionated analogy,and you know it :", let's consider the hypothetical scenario where a UV dev comes in and says "I hope Anders Brevik goes to a certain publisher and do [insert not very nice things] to them" and the later clarified that "Oh no, I wasn't referring to Paradox at all".
    Use a better analogy next time.
    Here, let me simply quote someone else's response to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivashanko View Post
    No, you really did misunderstand him. Given that five or six people are telling you this, I suggest you trust the (presumably) native English speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homero View Post
    I haven't misunderstood your post.Stop using stupid,offensive analogies.
    Word of advice: Just drop this: You misinterpreted the post - end of story. You can wail, complain, and insult in any way you like and it's just not going to change anything.

On Probation

Quote Originally Posted by Varus90 View Post
    Because apparently subjectivity does not exist.
    It's likely that MM is a pretty good mod, since my favourite EU3 mod (D&T)'s creators are apparently fans of the MM mod (especially that Americaball).

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Mallorie View Post
    ...Not a lick. Why go through all the trouble of making a fake game, alienating your fans, upsetting your publisher, and trashing your reputation instead of just delivering the promised game, and using that experience as the basis of another? Or laying out an argument as to why you felt your secret project would be a better use of resources?

To say nothing of how suspiciously fast the release of the secret project would be, and the likelyhood of someone talking would be...

Still, there have been stranger stories in game development. History has demonstrated that being utterly and completely illogical is no bar to someone actually doing it .
    There are a lot of examples in the world about things people went through just because well they can! Where is the money there is a way...because? Profit €€€

Quote Originally Posted by siis View Post
    While I don't think that was the intend from the beginning, as we can see Paradox got a little bit suspicious after testing "release canditates" from a game that is 27(?) month in development.

I'm wondering, reading the latest "announcement" UV has an office, has servers, several pcs (5+) and lot's of hardware stuff. Who paid for all this?
    I thoght the same, unless he is lying!
    Europa Universalis 3 = Because conquering the world is what we all dream about.

Europa Universalis 4 = Because conquering your closest rival is what we all dream about.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

WHAT IF:

Makes sense yes no?
    You like making conspiracy theories, no?

The whole message was pretty clear cut and if you followed the development, you seriously would never be surprised. In a jiffy, you could go through the dev diaries and it will dawn on you.

I sympathize with the devs, it was a waste of time and effort but the experience was probably more than worth all the trouble. However, Pdox did a proper good job to cancel the game. Think, SpaceX's 19may decision to halt its private launch to the ISS at the last second; what would have happened if they were too proud to cancel and actually did go through with it? Not a very happy ending it would seem. Going back, everything was laid out for a MM launch but it would have been disastrous for both UV and Pdox if it actually did;THAT is the bottom point gents.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the UV devs would be invited to develop EU4.
    /MCMLXXXIX

On Probation

Quote Originally Posted by jonlucero View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the UV devs would be invited to develop EU4.
    I find that unlikely. While it's possible that Paradox has a good impression on Zeitgeist and Ignavich (all speculations, btw), the stigma of not being able to deliver will probably still damn this possibility unless there Paradox can somehow separate the blame on UV from them, which would really depend on the chemistry between these parties.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by ywhtptgtfo View Post
    I find that unlikely. While it's possible that Paradox has a good impression on Zeitgeist and Ignavich (all speculations, btw), the stigma of not being able to deliver will probably still damn this possibility unless there Paradox can somehow separate the blame on UV from them, which would really depend on the chemistry between these parties.
    ok, maybe not to "develop" the game per se. What I meant to say was, some of them might be invited to take part in the game development, game design to be specific. Magna mugni had a lot of potential brilliance in it and i say potential because it just wouldn't work but it sounded very awesome.
    /MCMLXXXIX

Quote Originally Posted by Mushro0m View Post
    That just confirms 2 things to me:

1) There are no backers for future UV projects
    2) MM is so badly broken that Ubik now has to post AARs under pseudonyms...

Quote Originally Posted by Vijfde Colonne View Post
    Hmm, Paradox, uncancel the game already! Me like AAR.
    You do realise don't you that there are a lot of people outside these forums who would not have heard about Magna Mundi and any drama associated with it, but will buy MMtG just because it was a grand strategy game, and one that was published by Paradox?

These people would have been the ones who would have been majority of MMtG buyers. And if PI decides to uncancel this game now, these guys would be duped into buying a buggy release, one that may not be patched in the future, and the only people they would end up blaming is PI themselves.

This is why, I think PI does not release this game, no matter how much the MM fanbois (who, at the end of the day, have a tiny market presence) want them to...

WHAT IF:

Makes sense yes no?
    No. Mainly because for the amount of money PI poured into this, they could have made another CK2. If this was PIs plan all along then it was very inefficient, they could have utilised this money inhouse to give more manhours to EUIV rather than pour it down just to generate some ideas (which were in MMtM anyways, Paradox could have simply picked them from there -- some of which they did for DW)

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi

I see nothing new here, but on the Universo Virtual forums there is some activity. Might want to check it out.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tornado View Post
    That just confirms 2 things to me:

1) There are no backers for future UV projects
    2) MM is so badly broken that Ubik now has to post AARs under pseudonyms...
    3) its just like Mattias Lilja from paradox told us on Page 1 :

- Lack of trust; the leadership of UV has given a sunshine version of the project to Paradox and reacted with irritation and anger when we have pointed out obvious problems with the deliveries. It has come to a point where they claim the project is done, and the game is ready for release – despite the many critical issues found and reported on our end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushro0m View Post
    Ubik! Die neue Propagandaminister! wer braucht Goebbels?
    Love the fact that Ubik is the last guy who edited the post!

MM is so badly broken that Ubik now has to post AARs under pseudonyms
    The worthiest people are the most injured by slander.An ugly accusation based on speculation.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

What a dough. Bet if he doesn't act like that all the time, claiming the game is in a releasable state with bugs and all, apologizes to paradox and actually makes it in a releasable state, Paradox is still willing to release the game.

To bad he is this ego guy claiming he has a shining new office with new hardware and all. Yeah right, the guy didn't deliver a game, worked over 1 and a half year over the deadline, and he has some investors? Let me guess, the Knights of saint John, in return for his genius mind?

On Probation

Let's give him the benefit of doubt, since it could really be a fan. If the CEO actually wrote this in a pseudonym, I'd imagine it being a bit more flattering and would've skipped details about bugs and all.

Perhaps. Then again, he DOES say
    I like the interface and the map.
    Really, does it make much of a difference if it's a fanatically loyal fan writing that instead of ubik?

Closed Thread
Page 82 of 123 FirstFirst ... 7 32 57 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 107 ... LastLast