Closed Thread
Page 101 of 123 FirstFirst ... 26 51 76 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2457

Thread: Magna Mundi cancelled

  1. #2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Lonely View Post
    Wouldn't that essentially mean there is no way the other member of the contract can fulfill it? As no matter how good job you did, the other member can always say "we take what you have done and you give us our money back regardless". In my opinion that would make the contract very much one-sided. At least in Finnish law parts of an agreement can be declared void, if applying them would leave the other member in a unreasonably bad situation. This is done despite the pacta sunt servanda principle being the general rule. As the Finnish law is still heavily influenced by Swedish law, so I would expect it to have a similar principle?
    You are almost certainly right. And, by the way, nicely put.

  2. #2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    And where would UV get the cash to publish and sell the game, even if it's only online?
    [...]
    Desura

  3. #2003
    Lost in Time Ashantai's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,252
    Perhaps. Largely irrelevant though since I doubt Paradox will let them release it anywhere, especially now.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

    Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

  4. #2004
    General Bloodmerchant's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionRome GoldSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The Exiled

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    吳越明州府
    Posts
    2,081
    But the engine still belongs to Paradox.
    Tired of boring Asian countries? Try the Asian Renovation Mod for EUIV today! Steam Workshop Pastebin - Out of date

  5. #2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomn_Peng View Post
    as a whole I can't say I much see your point - if Ubik has been acting in an abnormal
    An inconvenient truth: yes, it is a you say,everyone here is allowed to insult Ubik (calling him fool, egomaniac, paranoid, etc, ad nauseam).
    Sadly that´s why the "random quotes", explicitly stating this fact, were deleted.
    Last edited by Homero; 02-07-2012 at 00:11.

  6. #2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Homero View Post
    An inconvenient truth: yes, it is a you say,everyone here is allowed to insult Ubik (calling him fool, egomaniac, paranoid, etc, ad nauseam).
    Sadly that´s why the "random quotes", explicitly stating this fact, were deleted.
    But, well, that's not a matter of it suddenly being open season on Ubiks; it's because it's generally considered to be a sincere (albeit potentially erroneous) conclusion born of available evidence in response to his actions. Or, to make use of an analogy, if Tomn_Peng were to suddenly announce his intention to jump from a bridge because he had developed superpowers, I would be allowed to call him insane for believing such a thing (before being roundly mocked by others for missing an obvious joke).

    You're asking us to cover our eyes and plug our ears when I hear that a failed developer is suing my prefered provider of entertainment for insisting on standards. Why need I be silent under such circumstances?

    Incidentally, you may find it easier to persuade people if you were to put forth an argument explaining why you feel our actions to be rude and inappropriate. This dancing about, hinting that we're all horrible people for engaging in open (albeit occasionally harsh) discussion, wins you few converts. I might also mention that the discussion here has been far, far more polite towards the team in general, and Ubik in particular, than some other places I've seen.

  7. #2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallorie View Post
    But, well, that's not a matter of it suddenly being open season on Ubiks; it's because it's generally considered to be a sincere (albeit potentially erroneous) conclusion born of available evidence in response to his actions. Or, to make use of an analogy, if Tomn_Peng were to suddenly announce his intention to jump from a bridge because he had developed superpowers, I would be allowed to call him insane for believing such a thing (before being roundly mocked by others for missing an obvious joke). You're asking us to cover our eyes and plug our ears when I hear that a failed developer is suing my prefered provider of entertainment for insisting on standards. Why need I be silent under such circumstances? Incidentally, you may find it easier to persuade people if you were to put forth an argument explaining why you feel our actions to be rude and inappropriate. This dancing about, hinting that we're all horrible people for engaging in open (albeit occasionally harsh) discussion, wins you few converts. I might also mention that the discussion here has been far, far more polite towards the team in general, and Ubik in particular, than some other places I've seen.
    Good points. The least persuasive arguments in this topic are the ones playing every victim card in the deck to turn Ubik into some kind of martyr. Paradox has not fed Ubik to the lions for entertainment. Ubik couldn't meet his contractual obligations to provide a functioning game, so the game got cancelled. Ubik responded by suing PI in an act of pure, maliciousness and now we're supposed to treat him like he's being bullied? Victims of bullying don't engage in malicious lawsuits like this one.

  8. #2008
    I'm also not much of a fan of the "We don't know everything, therefore we shouldn't say anything" arguments, either. Though we may not be in possession of ALL the facts of the situation, we're certainly in possession of a great many, and from those facts we can either engage interesting, evidence-based speculation or else draw rational conclusions from the facts that are available.

    Just for example, the last page or so of this thread has resulted in an informative discussion that helped to clear up our picture of the likely legal situation, and Ubik's likely position within it. Against that, the only reason I can see for silence is, in effect, to spare Ubik's feelings. Given his actions thus far, I can't say that goal is particularly high on my list on priorities right now, and I can't say it's liable to get much higher. But perhaps those with unconditional trust and faith in Ubik can explain why we should shift that priority higher?

  9. #2009
    Colonel PdoxNewbie's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Sultante of Byzantium
    Posts
    1,170
    I don't think we should be sparing his feelings too much- after all, it is he who has started this legal case in the first place, and if it comes back to bite him, he has no one else to blame but himself.
    GENERATION 37: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
    Participate in the ranking of every EU3 nation from easiest to hardest!
    Post your Tahiti games!
    Post your Always vWar Mod progress!
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...r-Mod-Progress!
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-War-progress!

  10. #2010
    Colonel Kurblius's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,018
    How long do you guys think it'll take before UV files legal proceedings? We'll have a better idea of how things will turn out once that happens. Personally, it sounds to me as though UV can't afford to drag on the issue without resolution for too long. less than 6 months perhaps?
    Tips on achieving EPIC trade league dominance
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ague-Dominance

    My current research into Trade Good Supply, Demand, and Pricing Changes:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...rice-over-time

  11. #2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    Good points. The least persuasive arguments in this topic are the ones playing every victim card in the deck to turn Ubik into some kind of martyr. Paradox has not fed Ubik to the lions for entertainment. Ubik couldn't meet his contractual obligations to provide a functioning game, so the game got cancelled. Ubik responded by suing PI in an act of pure, maliciousness and now we're supposed to treat him like he's being bullied? Victims of bullying don't engage in malicious lawsuits like this one.
    It is probable that Ubik is suing Paradox in order to not pay back the money Paradox sunk into the project. I would not say that is pure maliciousness, but rather malicious pragmatism. It is likely that UV will go under if it is forced to pay Paradox the cash required- and it might be so bad that Ubik is in debt for quite a long time. That makes the stakes much higher for him, and what he is doing is pretty rational if you ask me.

  12. #2012
    Major kal56's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivashanko View Post
    It is probable that Ubik is suing Paradox in order to not pay back the money Paradox sunk into the project. I would not say that is pure maliciousness, but rather malicious pragmatism. It is likely that UV will go under if it is forced to pay Paradox the cash required- and it might be so bad that Ubik is in debt for quite a long time. That makes the stakes much higher for him, and what he is doing is pretty rational if you ask me.
    Ubik himself probably wouldn't be in debt. I'm not sure about Europe but in the US a CEO isn't personally accountable for money his company doesn't have.

  13. #2013
    Attributing any kind of "maliciousness" to Ubik/UV for suing is frankly dumb.
    Businesses sue each other all the time for reasons like this.

    That being said, I firmly believe that UV is in the wrong in this case (it failed to deliver), but if you want to assign morality to business decisions you better start doing so with all business decisions, even for companies you support... because I'll guarantee you that most of them have done as bad or worse.

  14. #2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Derp View Post
    Attributing any kind of "maliciousness" to Ubik/UV for suing is frankly dumb.
    Businesses sue each other all the time for reasons like this.

    That being said, I firmly believe that UV is in the wrong in this case (it failed to deliver), but if you want to assign morality to business decisions you better start doing so with all business decisions, even for companies you support... because I'll guarantee you that most of them have done as bad or worse.
    Good point.

    If Paradox indeed insists on full repayment of their investment i dont think ubik/his company has much other choice than to try and avert this by any means or at least salvage as much as he can.

    And dont believe for a minute that this wouldnt include knowingly selling a completely broken game to people, also.

  15. #2015
    On Probation
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    British North America
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by yak View Post
    Good point.

    If Paradox indeed insists on full repayment of their investment i dont think ubik/his company has much other choice than to try and avert this by any means or at least salvage as much as he can.

    And dont believe for a minute that this wouldnt include knowingly selling a completely broken game to people, also.
    If that's part of the contract, I find it difficult for the terms to be reversed. :/

    By the way, how did Homero get himself banned?

  16. #2016
    Annoying Latvian binTravkin's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Latvia of course
    Posts
    3,101
    You guys have a whole lot of time in your hands.
    Why not go play some other game you like and check back when (if) there are news from this case?
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

  17. #2017
    Quote Originally Posted by binTravkin View Post
    You guys have a whole lot of time in your hands.
    Why not go play some other game you like and check back when (if) there are news from this case?
    Not really, it only takes a minute or two to reply. Discussion also improves the brain.

  18. #2018
    Second Lieutenant Happy_Lonely's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The White Capital
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by kal56 View Post
    Ubik himself probably wouldn't be in debt. I'm not sure about Europe but in the US a CEO isn't personally accountable for money his company doesn't have.
    In general, you are right. However, even a new company such as UV needs money to run. It can get money either from investors or a bank. If it is a bank, personal sureties by the company owner(s) are usually required, as the company itself lacks equity to act as collateral. The Banks are not stupid - they don't borrow out money to a new company just so they can burn it and declare bankruptcy. That would be something an investor does.

    So either UV has an investor to pay the costs of litigation, UV has somehow stacked money it got from PI and uses that, or Ubik (or some people close to him such as family members) give personal sureties for a loan.

    Putting up a limited liability company is not enough, you have to convince someone to give you money before you can get yourself off the hook.
    + Christian Democrat by Grace of Choice +

  19. #2019
    Špekulant
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card Game
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    香港
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by PdoxNewbie View Post
    I don't think we should be sparing his feelings too much- after all, it is he who has started this legal case in the first place, and if it comes back to bite him, he has no one else to blame but himself.
    I don't think ubik minds any harsh words much, he was always keen on acting like a lightingrod for whatever was hurled towards the team. If it wasn't for the money, this whole situation and the ruckus it generates would suit him great probably

  20. #2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Lonely View Post
    In Finnish law there is such a paragraph (OikTL 36 §, Laki varallisuusoikeudellisista oikeustoimista), also called the general mediation paragraph. It states that an article within a contract can be mediated or declared void, if its applying would lead to an unreasonable situation for one of the members of that contract. I think it is not used too often, though.

    My whole speculation here is based on an assumption that Swedish law has a similar paragraph, as the Finnish law has traditionally been similar to the Swedish one.
    There is. Lag (1915:218) om avtal och andra rättshandlingar på förmögenhetsrättens område 36 §.

Closed Thread
Page 101 of 123 FirstFirst ... 26 51 76 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts