Closed Thread
Page 92 of 123 FirstFirst ... 17 42 67 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2457

Thread: Magna Mundi cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Tomn_Peng View Post
    Mallorie: Yeah, I did see the reply. Interesting, that.
    'kaykay . Like I said, it wasn't important, just wanted to address your curiousity .

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinos XV View Post
    Still.

Meanwhile

That's for "confirmation bias" bit.
    Well, like I said in the open letter thread... Where in that letter did he mention promise to provide a product of acceptable release quality? He didn't promise to improve the game at all (a key reason it was cancelled, I might add), just promises of a release date with insinuations that it was being cancelled because it conflicted with the dates of other paradox games.

"UV will continue to assume its responsibilities from then on." reads pretty vaguely to me. Given Ubik's overly optimistc view of the game's quality already, who's to say he'd admit the recognize ongoing bugs? If he's being honest about its current state (which sounds implausible to me), I don't trust him to fix bugs, and if he's being decietful, I don't trust him to not just walk away.

And as for the "If you want us to stop supporting Magna Mundi" bit, why would you even bring that up? Why would you be talking expansions when you can't even get the core product released? Or is that some sort of really weird horse trading, offering to let Paradox make the expansions if they also handle the patching?

All that aside, though, he's already talking about how he, personally, is planning on moving on to a new game, while seeking fresh investors. If he cares that much about Magna Mundi, why isn't he going to personally involve himself with ensuring its ongoing support?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionRome GoldSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The Exiled

So apparently sometime after MM had started its Paradox beta, I occasionally checked back just to see some glimmer of hope. Then one day, Ubik was planning to give its Paradox beta testers a chance to receive an SVN version of the game, updated every day. Everyone replied just so they got the latest version, including myself, just so I hope the game doesn't lag or crash. On my end, the game still unbearable to play. On my newer computer it lagged and lagged, a day in the game on super fast speed seemed like a minute at best, and the 'beta' simply crashed whenever I tried to run it on my laptop. By the time when UV wanted to release the game, no more updates were done and the SVN release was pulled. By that time, I was fully convinced that ubik, along with the core UV leadership, didn't seem to care for the Paradox betas at all.
    Tired of boring Asian countries? Try the Asian Renovation Mod for EUIV today! Steam Workshop Pastebin - Out of date

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Mallorie View Post

All that aside, though, he's already talking about how he, personally, is planning on moving on to a new game, while seeking fresh investors. If he cares that much about Magna Mundi, why isn't he going to personally involve himself with ensuring its ongoing support?
    +1

And if he has any real legal council why aren't they telling him to keep his trap shut? I mean, the first rule of legal proceedings is that anything you say can and will be used against you. The only thing you can achieve by speaking out is damning yourself. ANY lawyer worth his salt gets that.

From the Universo-Forum :

Fredrik Wester,

I am publicly addressing you as I feel it’s my duty to the Magna Mundi fans to do the utmost to save the game and allow them to experience the work of the very special and talented team I have the pleasure to lead.
    I also feel I have the duty to the team I lead to try to save Magna Mundi. The involvement of the team on the project and how all worked together towards the single objective of delivering the game was impressive. I was still deciding things minutes before I was warned by a Spanish team member that the game had been cancelled.
    After reading that you were the one coming up with the idea of turning Magna Mundi into a commercial project, I feel we stand exactly at the same level of responsibility towards the fans: I created the brand and coordinated both the amateur and the professional projects and you decided to take advantage of it by producing a commercial game and in the process take ownership of the brand.

In the first scenario everybody wins. This scenario demands leadership, charisma and ability to compromise. And those are exactly the qualities I am asking for you to show while trying to summon them myself. It’s a scenario where, to put it simply, a normal release date is set (I have no problem about a release in two or three months time to accommodate your release schedule), the game gets normally released and UV will continue to assume its responsibilities from then on. If for any reason you want UV to stop supporting Magna Mundi after the release thus allowing Paradox to take control of any future development within the scope of Magna Mundi, we can certainly talk about that.

At present the situation is clear. Your decision to cancel the game will lead to a legal battle where Universo Virtual will try its best to beat Paradox, while Paradox will be doing the same to Universo Virtual. All the while I will neither give you the Magna Mundi engine nor return to you a single euro that you spent financing the development of the game.
    Courts apart, I am not one who fears the judgement of the public. I invite everyone who can come to Lisbon to check for them the game and make a judgement about it.

In my book, cancelling a game at this stage and in these conditions while demanding back the money used for funding its development for two and a half years, demanding also the engine of the game, continuing to enjoy the ownership of the brand and retaining the possibility of releasing Magna Mundi for you, has a far uglier name than “cancellation”.
    Oh Ubik...
    I think hes bluffing with his "lawsuit".
    Last edited by Mushro0m; 28-06-2012 at 04:49. Reason: link deleted

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodmerchant View Post
    So apparently sometime after MM had started its Paradox beta, I occasionally checked back just to see some glimmer of hope. Then one day, Ubik was planning to give its Paradox beta testers a chance to receive an SVN version of the game, updated every day. Everyone replied just so they got the latest version, including myself, just so I hope the game doesn't lag or crash. On my end, the game still unbearable to play. On my newer computer it lagged and lagged, a day in the game on super fast speed seemed like a minute at best, and the 'beta' simply crashed whenever I tried to run it on my laptop. By the time when UV wanted to release the game, no more updates were done and the SVN release was pulled. By that time, I was fully convinced that ubik, along with the core UV leadership, didn't seem to care for the Paradox betas at all.
    Well no, i got the impression from MM devs that they didnt like the paradox betas
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    Well no, i got the impression from MM devs that they didnt like the paradox betas
    Well its quite simple really MM devs get paid alot for sitting and doing nothing for 2 years Paradox wonder whats going on lets send in some beta testers... NNdevs actuly have to work for the money they get paid the horror. trough the paradox Betas the Paradox management finds out nothing gets done or fixed while Paradox money is going down the drain... Paradox Cancells all hell breaks lose when the MM devs find out they wont get paid for typing 1 word per hour anymore Code wise
    Last edited by Elcyion; 28-06-2012 at 04:46. Reason: sry for the spelling but to lazy to fix it up this late
    Done with Eu4 Multiplayer for the moment
    Words of Wisdom: Old Players are like Raptors New Players are like Sheep
    Never Listen to Iwanow He Doesnt Know a Thing About Eu3
    Pewt=WW1 style PvP Elcyion=WW2 Style PvP

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Careful, you can't link to other forums bud.

But yea... and how 'bout the whole "far uglier name than 'cancellation'." And what name would that be Ubik?

Am I reading the last paragraph of Ubik's letter correctly? Is Paradox demanding their money back, the MM engine from him, and the right to eventually release it?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    The Showdown EffectRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    That too, but maybe a bit of both. I could figure out that they did have a sense of resentment for the Paradox beta itself.
    Tired of boring Asian countries? Try the Asian Renovation Mod for EUIV today! Steam Workshop Pastebin - Out of date

Quote Originally Posted by vengen View Post
    Am I reading the last paragraph of Ubik's letter correctly? Is Paradox demanding their money back, the MM engine from him, and the right to eventually release it?
    We're not privy to their contract, and Paradox hasn't made a public statement (nor should they), but that's what Ubik seems to be claiming.

The first is a pretty standard clause (from what I've heard, I'm not a lawyer), though, basically just a "Give us back our money if you're not doing your job" thing, while the third has been the case ever since they made the mod (you give them the right to anything you write on their forums). The second clause is likely standard as well, though I wouldn't be able to support this claim; it makes sense because MM is based on EU3's engine, though, and in the absence of such a clause, if Paradox ever implented anything that sounds like something related to an idea MM came up with, UV could sue them for it.

Basically - when he phrases it like that, it sounds terrible, but it's all actually very reasonable, and standard for the industry.

I'm just happy to see that #2 and #3 are being pursued.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by vengen View Post
    we can also call it: the price for breach of contract and failure to deliver the product

In all honesty what Buckley said in post #1816 is most probably pretty accurate, particularly the part about his track record as a modder, ubik was always more intrested in adding new features at the price of game stability and prestanda rather then to fix longstanding problems and bugs during the the eu3 mod days (in particular there was an issue that made the mod unplayable in multiplayer pretty much all the way to HttT before it was sorted, and this issue also made it impossible to play the game in multiplayer on vanilla on the same instal), so it would not be a massive shock if the same attitude was carried over to the game development

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The modder can take time with things, releasing them a bit at a time, adding in all the wonderful features without much of a delay or overhead. When it is down to designing a game though for profit, with someone else publishing, there is a difference in philosophy. Suddenly you have to gear and prepare everything for one single day, get it all perfect for release, and only then work on possible new features for the future.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoumen View Post
    Well, to further hammer my point home, I think the fact that almost everyone was taken completely off-guard at the thought that Paradox might be demanding money back, and that nobody actually knows if they're doing so, how much they are demanding, or even if that's what Ubik was actually saying rather than making a rhetorical point (and the fact that several formerly fully pro-Paradox people abruptly got uneasy about the ethics of the situation if it is true)
    Erm, why would this make anyone uneasy? He was paid to do a job and he didn't deliver. Any reasonable person would want (and expect) their money back in such a case.

Also check :

pcgamer(dot) com/2012/06/27/magna-mundi-cancelled-by-publisher-developers-promise-legal-response/

Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

I notice this forum has been moved into all other games and has the (Cancelled) edit in the description.
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Looks like we were moved to make it more hidden from people. I see this as a sign that everything is done and the project has been wrapped up and put into the PI vault forever.
    This is not my signature

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    March of the EaglesVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Truly now the Magnatanic is in the deep atlantic, I am just curious if anyone will ever find up what once was the "uncancelable game".

No one can make a publisher cancel a game as fast as Ubik. He thinks too highly of himself and should act more humble and try to understand that more features isn't necessarily better.

Though it's not always in the new place. It's a bit confusing, it's going back and forth.

Closed Thread
Page 92 of 123 FirstFirst ... 17 42 67 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 117 ... LastLast