• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MyFaceBurns

Major
58 Badges
Mar 23, 2012
  • For the Motherland
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Gettysburg
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
I am currently playing as the Pope on Crusader Kings 2, and I've noticed that the Church's Authority is fairly low. Is there any way to get it higher? Also, is there any way to call crusades, like AI popes do? So far, being the Pope is fairly generic, just you get notifications every second. Does it bring about any unique positives?

EDIT: What happens if you become a heretic as the Pope?

EDIT 2: I just experimented transforming myself into a heretic using cheats... what happened next was pretty retarded: I found out that I was a heretic, told my Court Chaplain about this, he sent a letter to me telling me that I was a heretic, I chose to believe him and branded myself a heretic. Dude what.

Last edited:
From the looks of it from the outside a Crusade is just a Holy War Casus Belli with extra jazz. Check if you can do a Holy War on the Muslims and see what happens. Though I question how you're playing as him.

You can crusade, but not always. I think you need to wait 30 years into the game or so until you can call the first crusade, but I know that it is definitely possible.

From the looks of it from the outside a Crusade is just a Holy War Casus Belli with extra jazz. Check if you can do a Holy War on the Muslims and see what happens. Though I question how you're playing as him.

I chose to play as the Pope's only vassal in 1066, then I overthrew him and placed myself in as the Pope. I'll also try using a Holy War Casus Belli now.

You can crusade, but not always. I think you need to wait 30 years into the game or so until you can call the first crusade, but I know that it is definitely possible.

Ah right. I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

Okay, I've waited until exactly 1100CE, and no Crusades event has popped up. Should I carry on waiting or what? Also, since when has a Bishopric been the wrong holding type for a Pope? Seriously. The game's telling me that Rome is not suitable for the Pope to control directly! I'm also being continually harassed by the Republics of Genoa and Pisa, and no one gives a shit about whether the powerhouse of Catholic Europe is being raped or not. I tried Bloodly's idea too, but I just got raped by Muslims when I entered a war and no one helped me out. I honestly think if the Muslims took over Rome, no one would care. That gives me an idea...

I don't know. I am never able to call crusades when I become pope in the beginning of the game, but if I attain the title after having played a while already, I normal can call crusades. I don't know how long you have to wait or what triggers the possibility of calling crusades, though.