• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(509501)

Corporal
2 Badges
Jun 16, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
Howdy

I've recently purchased HOI III having been a big fan of its predecessor (+its expansions) but probably wont have time to play in the immediate future due to work commitments.

Now my question is: will I be able to play HOI III like HOI II or should I treat this like a new game and read the guides posted before I start playing?

PS this is my first time posting in such a forum so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area.

I would try out the 36 campaign and see what you understand and what you don't. Most likely, 75% you will know already or figure out very fast. Rest you can check tutorials for or ask in this thread, I would be happy to help you out with any questions :)

HOI3 is more complicated, but also more fun ! It will take some time (months, years ?) to completely master the game.

Look at the first sub forum "HOI3 FAQ" at the top of the forum page. You will find the manuals and the strategy guides.

But many thing are not in the manuals and you will find more detailed information on the forum, also look at the wiki (http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Main_Page).

Also, look at the thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?599501-WIP-Hearts-of-Iron-3-FTM-Video-Tutorials, Surray made 11 video tutorials that are amazingly clear and helpfull (surray01 on youtube).

Let me repeat this, HoI 3 Is MUCH MORE complicated.
The conquest of Poland alone might be done more units that you would normally have used in HoI2 to conquer all of europe.
The number of provinces as also exploded.

Welcome aboard....I too second what everyone says..it is vastly more complicated........but much more fun as well. I have been playing it since it came out and am still learning things from the forums.....and if you ever ask a question you usually get an answer like in what............minutes?? lol............also, check out some great AAR's. You can learn a lot from them as well...and several are really great interesting reads...

Thank you for all your quick responses.

I had a brief look through and it is definitely is a much more complex game although I sure once I get my head around the new research system and managing so many provinces the rest will fall into place. For now though I'll definitely take your advice and read through some of the guides and aars. If it is anything like the other paradox games + mods I have played I probably come to love this seemingly daunting complexity.

Thank you for all your quick responses.

I had a brief look through and it is definitely is a much more complex game although I sure once I get my head around the new research system and managing so many provinces the rest will fall into place. For now though I'll definitely take your advice and read through some of the guides and aars. If it is anything like the other paradox games + mods I have played I probably come to love this seemingly daunting complexity.

Once you've had a basic look through it and you have spare time we have a MP game going at the moment and ongoing where you could join in as a minor and learn alongside those who are playing it at the time. Best to get a bit of practice first but feel free to contact me regarding ANZAC game #7 or #8. Funny after years of playing HOI III I just bought HOI II for a bit of fun, it's easier but you should recognise most things.

One word of caution: stacking penalties are now greater.

You should check out Surray's Tutorials, they are a big help and setup in fine visual easy to learn fashion. He has them setup through "For the Motherland" expansion. If you do not have Semper Fi or For the Motherland expansions already, I would strongly suggest getting them, they make the game even better!

I was a huge HOI2 fan and had some early trouble crossing over to HOI3, but with all these suggestions and Surray's video tutorials and a little play and practice, you will love every minute that you learn about this game!

You know, when you compare Supreme Ruler Cold War to HOI3, HOI3 seems very simple. The same with HOI2, when you compare it to HOI3. But, HOI3 is very good. I hope 'the finest hour' is a good mix of Supreme Ruler Cold War, and HOI3.