+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naval Maintenance, reduced retrospectively by later naval buildings?

Naval Maintenance, reduced retrospectively by later naval buildings?

Hi all,

There was a interesting thread recently saying that maintenance of army units was based on what land buildings were built in the regions in which regiments were recruited. If I understood the point right, this meant that if you raised a regiment in 1399 in a region without any land building, it would cost you maybe 0.4 ducats per month in maintenance then, but if 50 years later you built a load of land tech buildings in that region, armouries ect, the maintenance would reduce then to maybe 0.2 per month even though the regiment had been raised earlier.

(Looking at my game at the moment, this looks right as I can compare my Essex Demi Cannon regiment at 0.31 ducats per month to my Romagna demi Cannon regiment at 0.39 per month. Essex has an armoury, Romagna doesn't).

Does anyone know if the same rule holds true for naval maintenance?

(I suspect it does, as looking at my frigates, the maintenance varies between 0.08 & 0.05, but I can't tell where they were built now).

It's a lot easier to just build ships in half a dozen regions, so if the same rule does applies, then I'm urgently expaning my naval building line. Regiments I tend to build near where I want them in action, but ship building is concentrated.

In fact, if this rule is true for the ship maintenance, a good move at game start, for anyone doing a WC/colonisation game & needing a massive navy, would be to designate certain regions as ship building regions, build just those up to level 6 in the naval buidling line, & concentrate all ship production there.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Yes, land and navy maintenance follow the same rules. Build ships in the provinces which hold the best naval buildings for them!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I never knew this!

How does this apply to captured ships?
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    I never knew this!

How does this apply to captured ships?
    They will usually cost more than your, but on some occasions, less. And its harder to tell. You have to look in the ledger, for the home province, then check the ship.

It is dependent on local (not nationwide) unit cost modifiers, which is why I've removed them almost entirely in my own mod.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

This
    Is
    Awesome !

I noticed it before but I never knew what caused it
    Even after years you can still learn new things, this is why I love this game.

^

What he said Thanks for confirming.

Another question, linked to this if I may, starting ships (i.e. England's 30 odd) & armies ... which is their home region as it were?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Eyam View Post
    Another question, linked to this if I may, starting ships (i.e. England's 30 odd) & armies ... which is their home region as it were?
    You can find this information in the Ledger.

For France these ships have as home port Īle de France, so you cannot build naval buildings there :-)

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I did not know any of this!

So do the costs lower retroactively?
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    I did not know any of this!

So do the costs lower retroactively?
    I think they do, on a per province basis. So if you build a ship in London, and then build a new building, I believe all the existing ships built there go down in price. This applies to land units, too. While I have never tested this rigorously, I have never seen two units from the same place which had different maintenance costs.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

I designated three provinces as my ship building provinces at the beginning of the game, and tried to only built ships there for most of the game for precisely the reasons mentioned by the original poster. I found it entirely sufficient. And yes, the maintenance cost reduction is retroactive.
    How to Disinherit Your Children: A List
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...hildren-A-List

+ Reply to Thread