• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ywhtptgtfo

General
78 Badges
Dec 30, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
I went through the tutorial (which, as any other Paradox tutorials, doesn't really help much) and read a few strategy guides and still have little idea of how to play.

Let's use Belgium as an example.

It has a pretty conservative voter base which means I can only build factories with capitalists. But how do capitalists? Do you get some event where capitalists make a new factory with MTTH modified by the number of capitalists and other social modifiers?

There's the whole thing with literacy and I assume I just keep the education slider at max? But what about the other sliders? Do I max them if budget allows?

The technology section is not quite intuitive in terms of what to choose. Military techs? Commercial?

The politics and reform section is a maze. At a glimpse, I can pass no reforms and there's no obvious way to change voter base.

And finally, that trading window is just information bloat. I'd assume I should just keep everything automatic and keep a stockpile of small arms. For stuff with high trade value, I suppose those are probably ones where I should spam some factories on (if I get to build some).

Anyway, this game seems so much more complicated than EU3 with much less documentation.

Use national focus promote capitalists in your most populous province (assuming you want to build industry there). Generally you won't need much. Then swapping NF to promote craftsmen will seal the deal (capitalists see unemployed factory workers -> profit) if nothing happens with just capitalists.
Keep trading automated.

Education slider max. Military can be eased... something like 60% should still keep number of soldier pops balanced.
It is dynamic - pop promotions and demotions matter.
That happens either due to unemployment (=starvation), better paying jobs (profitable factory with free staff slots) or getting enough cash -> aristocrats.

National stockpile slider affects your stockpiles. If you're about to build or repair you need more than 0%, because it won't happen without supplies.
Stockpiling before war is also crucial, because if you fight say Britain you won't be getting supplies (of which many of them they control) from them.

Don't use tariffs. Get everything you need with taxes.

Politics can be influenced by answering key questions near the elections. Answer the same which your preferred party would, or if that is not possible against the party line of the leading party (if you want to change). Voter base will move slowly.

Open up Vicky2Wiki and start learning while playing! Strategy guides are a good start.
http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Main_Page

Also reading some of the most popular AAR's (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?549-Victoria-2-After-Action-Reports-(AAR)) will give you valuable insight.

Last edited:
Open up Vicky2Wiki and start learning while playing! Strategy guides are a good start.
http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Main_Page
I've already read some guides there. Many of them are incomplete.

I've started a test game as Netherlands and DoWed on Belgium on Day 3 with Britain and Prussia as my allies. What I noticed is that even though I declared with the "Restore Order" CB, I still cannot demand annexation (do I have to get 100%?) or any of the cores. So I had to add the "Acquire Core" CB later on to actually get the cores. And strangely, it seems the cores are only limited to Wallonia and the Dutch actually had no cores in much of Flanders?

Also, without fail, France always declares war within a few months.

I suppose the proper way of playing Netherlands is to use Belgium as a buffer, ally Prussia, and fight colonial wars with France.

I've already read some guides there. Many of them are incomplete.

I've started a test game as Netherlands and DoWed on Belgium on Day 3 with Britain and Prussia as my allies. What I noticed is that even though I declared with the "Restore Order" CB, I still cannot demand annexation (do I have to get 100%?) or any of the cores. So I had to add the "Acquire Core" CB later on to actually get the cores. And strangely, it seems the cores are only limited to Wallonia and the Dutch actually had no cores in much of Flanders?

Also, without fail, France always declares war within a few months.

I suppose the proper way of playing Netherlands is to use Belgium as a buffer, ally Prussia, and fight colonial wars with France.

"Restore Order" IS the annexation wargoal...you can only add Wallonia as an "Acquire Core" wargoal because Flanders is Belgium's capital state.

As for France, wait for them to start winning, then the UK should intervene on your side, assuming you didn't just go to war with them over Belgium.

I am restarting work on the wiki, and one of the things on my to do list is a general strategy guide/beginner's guide.

"Restore Order" IS the annexation wargoal...you can only add Wallonia as an "Acquire Core" wargoal because Flanders is Belgium's capital state.
Okay, so Restore Order means I have to occupy every single province? Even the overseas ones? But what if Belgium (hypothetically) has overseas territories I have no cores on? Do I still annex without BB? I'd imagine "Restore Order" is similar to "Reconquest" in EU3.

Also, how do the CB's work? I see that you have to forge one using diplomacy and then get BB for being discovered. I see that some policies speed up/slow down the process, but what modifies the discovery chance? Do you get no BB for annexing provinces and states (are they like Duchies?) when you have a CB?

As for France, wait for them to start winning, then the UK should intervene on your side, assuming you didn't just go to war with them over Belgium.
Actually, I cheated by save/reloading to get Prussia AND Britain as my allies. France was busy whooping Prussia's ass while I was fighting Belgium. I am not planning to keep playing that game though, since it was just a trial to see some of the mechanics work.

Is there a recommended AAR I should read up on to get a good idea of how the game works? So far, I am still not sure what to do with budget, production, trade, diplomacy (spheres/relations), politics, and population. Yes, that's basically everything.