Thread: How is trade going to work?

Second Lieutenant

How is trade going to work?

I wonder, how trade is going to work in Salem? Will there be shops, where I can sell my goods? Will there be automatons (like in Minecraft) where I can set up a prize for my good? Will I need to do it Char by Char (he puts the money in a chest, I put the goods in there...)?
    Thx.

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

Nobody knows yet. I'm not even sure the devs have completely decided on how it will happen. They've only said there will be some sort of market for players to sell goods to other players available in Boston.

Second Lieutenant

Okay, but how will we trade goods inside a town? It cannot work to share everything to everyone. Or to bargain every piece of ressource. As a baker I would like to buy berries from people and sell pie to them. This goods aren`t avaible in Boston, so I never will be able to trade it?!?

Easiest way would be to put a cash box to a chest, where I can put silver in and set up one or more goods I like to buy. Everytime a player puts something in the box, he gets the silver. So I could buy stuff I need. I would put my pie in another chest, where I get silver if anyone takes something from the chest...This would also work while I`m offline, which would be fine.

Blog Entries
    nothing is set in stone, but i think i once heard devs had a plan for setting up player-owned stands to sell/buy stuff. (just like those vending stands in HnH, i suppose.)
    Join Salem Japan News Group for Information in Japanese!

“It is painfully easy to define human beings. They are beings who, for no good reason at all, create their own unnecessary suffering.” ~ N. Sōseki

I personally would love to see more ingame, and un-dev sanctioned trades. Players that set up specific areas of their towns to allow people to come to trade. Hopefully people are smart and lock and brazier the area for the less than trustworthy folk, but whatever works for you.

In HnH, trading was always SO tense because neither side knew if the other would actually go through with their end of the "bargain". A lot of times this "bargain" ended up being the end of a sword.
    You cannot carry more.

Second Lieutenant

Well, that`s realistic. But: that needs both player to be online which maybe no problem for a hardcore player but a casual player won`t "waste" its two hour playtime by standing in a market area and wait for people who want to trade. He also wouldn`t want to stay behind a stand and wait for trade. It has to be a solution which works when players are offline too.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

I suspect something like an action house in WoW style or "Grand exange"(Spelled right?) in Runescape... Some system like that I suppose. Or like classic Runescape before G.E there you just stands in a big city yelling "Selling ****" Something like that...
    There's foxes in the hen house,' cows out in the corn. The unions have been busted, their proud red banners torn'

I would love to see a Star Wars Galaxies style economy implemented. One way that could work for this game is there could be a market building for each category of good (ie a bakers shop or a blacksmith) that are constructed like any other structure in a player claim or town. Players sell their items by placing them in the market and setting their own price for each good. Then, other players purchase items form the market like the kiosks in Boston. This makes finding and advertising cities and settlements an important part of the game. Competition and availability drive the economy in a realistic way. It also adds another layers of interaction where people with prime real estate can buy good from those in more remote locations and turn them for a profit. Also, if claims are going to be allowed to be bought and sold then the economy becomes even more complex and interesting. Using this method, you will see large or popular player cities have small settlements of good supplies spring up around them; similar to how actual colonies and cities grew. In my opinion, setting up trade like this lets the player base grow the game in fun and unexpected directions.

Eve online and Galaxies where both successful using this type of model. With Galaxies servers just shutting down a few months ago (a decade after it launched), there is likely some opportunity to attract some of those players to a game filling that niche.

Having shops in player towns (rather than in nice, safe Boston) has lots of potential problems for the buyer. How can I know how safe I will be in the midst of a bunch of other players? It needn't be the townspeople who own the shop, but rogues who wait outside for soft targets, that I have to watch out for.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Thorke View Post
    Having shops in player towns (rather than in nice, safe Boston) has lots of potential problems for the buyer. How can I know how safe I will be in the midst of a bunch of other players? It needn't be the townspeople who own the shop, but rogues who wait outside for soft targets, that I have to watch out for.
    Just make the trade with chests and money box. If you take a good out of it, the silver is automatically placed in the money box. If you put something into the chest you get automatically your silver...good old minecraft may be a bad example for most of Salem, but not for all...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorke View Post
    Well security will certainly be part of determining if you want to buy from a person or a place or not. After all, communities will have to come up with their own laws and methods of enforcement (ie police or military). If a rogue waiting on soft targets knows that killing someone within a particular town means certain death, he will stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakten View Post
    Well security will certainly be part of determining if you want to buy from a person or a place or not. After all, communities will have to come up with their own laws and methods of enforcement (ie police or military). If a rogue waiting on soft targets knows that killing someone within a particular town means certain death, he will stay away.
    Not with the current mechanics. The bandit just needs to setup their base many hours away from target, then port to Boston, then walk to the trade city, then they just steal and kill and trololol the merchants. No chance they will get tracked and summoned if their base is far enough. It surely is cumbersome for the bandit to play it safe, but then again, it is even worse for those who try to track him.

Edit:

Even better: they can create alts rather near the trade city, then transfer their stolen goods to the alts and trololol some more.

Quote Originally Posted by naosnule View Post
    Not with the current mechanics. The bandit just needs to setup their base many hours away from target, then port to Boston, then walk to the trade city, then they just steal and kill and trololol the merchants. No chance they will get tracked and summoned if their base is far enough. It surely is cumbersome for the bandit to play it safe, but then again, it is even worse for those who try to track him.

Edit:

Even better: they can create alts rather near the trade city, then transfer their stolen goods to the alts and trololol some more.
    I'm quite new to the game so stop me if I'm missing something but.. what' keeps bandits from doing the same thing in Boston where they can just port straight to their camp?

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Jakten View Post
    I'm quite new to the game so stop me if I'm missing something but.. what' keeps bandits from doing the same thing in Boston where they can just port straight to their camp?
    Can't do anything that leaves a scent in Boston.