• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(172106)

Recruit
1 Badges
Oct 9, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
I thought by now Paradox would release a game that was easy too get in, but as usual it requires deep searching on the internet to find basic instruction on what to do, started a few empires in Spain with my brother attacking me wit a bigger army than my in Navarre. Lucky I paid $10 for this on steam so I can't be that disappointed with the price, but honestly could Paradox make 1 game that a casual game player can get into and not just the die hards. I'll go back to Medieval 2 at least that doesn't require a degree in playing.

Maybe I'll get flamed and fair enough but I don't think I am the only one having problems with understanding how this game works at all.

PS

With the DLC downloads can you playthe crusader kingdoms themselves, like Antioch, Edessa

When you decide to purchase this game you should not expect nothing like brainless smashy-smash aka M:TW 2 style. These two games are two completely different titles, and IMO now when I master everything in CK2 I would never trade it for a different medieval game.

It is true that Paradox games tend to be a little complicated but I would really recommend sticking with this one. I bought this a week ago and it took me a good few days to get the hang of this game. It is recommended that you play as a Earl or Duke in Ireland and try to unit Ireland and become King. I have managed to do this but took a couple of generations to achieve.

I see you are HOI3 player, that took me a week to get the hang of that one! And I had been playing HOI2 since the original release! (also have a degree in science :) )

Once you figure out this game, there is real gem of a game here :) This game is just not about war! The politics of your court, the intrigue and all the plots that happen is just simply brilliant!

The issue most people have, as I see it, isn't really that the PI games are too complicated (even though some think so at first), but rather that it takes some effort to get into them. And it's definitely something that PI could improve, better tutorials, a proper ingame help system, maybe a feature to let the AI handle part of the game etc.

But, honestly, once you've figured out one of the PI games the others aren't that difficult to get into. It's really only a bit of a starting hurdle and a not nearly as high one as DFII or some other games have ;) Besides, don't forget that you've probably played other RTS games somewhat similar to the Total War series before, so obviously it's way easier to get into. I imagine someone playing his very first RTS ever and choosing a TW game would have some troubles as well ^^

Really?

No hate from me, but CK2 always struck me as the first Paradox strategy title that does the balancing act just right - not too much compromise on complexity, yet still eons more approachable than former titles - including CK1.

I mean - the tutorials were even useful! Surely that's a first.

You're probably a little overwhelmed; because CKII is difficult compared to most games available. However, CKII is not difficult or challenging intrinsically. Give it some time. Pause the game and check out CKII Wikipedia when you're puzzled or ask for help here.

Agreeing with apg, I wish and hope the game can become even deeper in the future, since I've given up the hope getting any of the mods working.

I loathe the idea CK2 is too complicated. Why does Paradox have to cater to the lowest denominator? Leave our beloved Paradox alone and let them make the games which makes them great.

edit: it's being mentioned here in the thread CK2 is actually not complicated enough and I whole heartedly agree. Give it a week or two and you've mastered every aspect of it and every game pretty much follows the same path unless you actively go in for a different route.

CoD might be more his style.

Surely it's in everyone's interest to try and attract more people to PI games as they are, rather than driving them off with ridicule?

I mean, yes, the original post is pretty confrontational - but really.

It's not complicated, but it doesn't stick to a standard interface that you can port skills across from other games.

Which is good, because it offers a fresh challenge.

I'd personally question whether MTW:2 is easier to understand then CK2 to be honest, CK2 is pushing the envelope on how simple a grand strategy game can get.

I honestly think that all new players need is a more relaxed attitude toward the outcome in early games. Don't worry about winning, hit all the buttons you want and see what happens.

each person has different skills (and don't we know that in CK2!). I couldn't get into those Total Wars games, I suck at Real Time combat. These Paradox strategy games are much more to my liking as they rely more in my strategic planning than in how fast I click and move the mouse. Different games for different people.

I see you are HOI3 player, that took me a week to get the hang of that one! And I had been playing HOI2 since the original release! (also have a degree in science :) )
Oh those little icons on the left don't mean a thing. I have a bunch of them, but couldn't get into HoI3 (too complicated for me) or Victoria 2 (too many questions) :)

It's not complicated, but it doesn't stick to a standard interface that you can port skills across from other games.

Which is good, because it offers a fresh challenge.

I'd personally question whether MTW:2 is easier to understand then CK2 to be honest, CK2 is pushing the envelope on how simple a grand strategy game can get.

I always ended up feeling terribly lonely when I played MTW2. That game is both easy to understand and to master. Rome on the other hand, was a much more dynamic and felt generally more demanding in terms of mastery. Each battle seemed memorable because they were actually challenging; you had to be alert most of the time in order to spot the critical phases of the battle and then seize these moments in order to defeat the opponent. Good times indeed.

On the other hand, the political aspects in the Total War game series are completely lacking, and this is why I never play the series anymore.

Last edited: