• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(186611)

Corporal
6 Badges
Dec 28, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Hey everybody,

I'm a Warband newb and keep getting owned in melee combat in warband. The biggest threats I find generally are those naked guys who wield those huge double handed axes in an overhand position just waiting to strike, or wildly swing sideways as much as possible. If I put my shield up, they hit it and I can't get in an attack before they are striking at me again a second time. Eventually they just keep pounding away while I back up and it gets destroyed and I'm dead. If they swing sideways wildly, the range and coverage is so large that I can't find a way in with anything except for a spear. If I somehow try and get in close they just keep swinging sideways almost in a 360 like fashion and eventually end up slicing me down in the side or back. Its especially bad when I'm on the tower ladders trying to get on the wall and there are like 3 guys with overhead axes looking to insta-kill me. I also find too that my sword can't really thrust at at point blank range, it just doesn't really connect often (like it bounces off).

Anyway, just would like to get some tips. The only successful way i've been able to play melee so far is to do a spear/shield combo and dart in and out of combat stabbing people while they are preoccupied with others. I just don't really "get" combat so far, its pretty damn tough. Thanks

well easiest is to just shoot them :p so bows! hehe

otherwise try using throwing weapons. they are most effective against people without a shield.
but if you have none, that its a matter of timing :)

most 2h players are news and can only spam. they learned however to block. but they rarly know how to block a feint :)
so what I do is I stay away enough for him not to him me. he misses a time or 2 and gets angry and reckless. a moment before he is off to slash again I step in. feint and shop at his head :p
works like a charm :D

if you want to learn some stuff drop in in out TS on our clan :) NOP :)

if he hits your shield you have time to hit him back before his next hit.

Also, don't use shields!

Sounds crazy but the best way to learn the game (at least for me) was with a 1 handed sword and no shield. If he has a 2H axe and you have a 1H sword/axe you are a lot more mobile than him, just block, move, side slash, feint, etc

You should definitely have a shield. But it is often a good idea to sheath your shield (wheel backwards) against two-handers, since some two-hand weapons can hit you through your blocks, and two-handed axes can easily destroy your shield. But make sure you learn some basic manual blocking in preparation for such a tactic.