+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: The Sword of Islam - Dev Diary 3

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieOne View Post
    For "accurate", you'd need to justify that you can still effectively train that kind of people. If the whole enterprise rests on the unique skills of your top guy and his cronies ("I'm Irish, so I'll show you Italians here how to fight as galloglasses"), then you're out of lack when they fade out of power. :P IMHO accuracy could be achieved by making it work on a by province instead of by ruler basis. This would be ideal. :P
    Well, yes I was agreeing to that. Perhaps I didn't delete enough of your comment to specify.

As for what to do when the culture shifts, I'd say knock it down to level one of the new culture's building. Assuming the province had a cultural building. Going from top level Longbow fields to top level Squire Lists is asinine. This would reflect that you're starting over but not completely wipe out your old advances.

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin6477 View Post
    Well, yes I was agreeing to that. Perhaps I didn't delete enough of your comment to specify.
    Sorry about that one.

As for what to do when the culture shifts, I'd say knock it down to level one of the new culture's building. Assuming the province had a cultural building. Going from top level Longbow fields to top level Squire Lists is asinine. This would reflect that you're starting over but not completely wipe out your old advances.
    Now that you mention, I guess it'd be kinda silly for some pairs of buildings/upgrades to be mutually convertible.
    Last edited by NewbieOne; 20-06-2012 at 01:40.
    CK2 Succession Survival Guide
    CK2 Book of Tips (46 and counting)
    CK2 suggestions of fixes and improvements (63 and counting)

CK2 AARs:
    Dominus Regni Poloniae (8 Feb 1296 Duchy of Greater Poland, finished)
    Lives of the Saints (Various times and places, single-character games)
    Land's End (A tale from Tintagel)
    CEO, EMEA (Guess what)

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieOne View Post
    It doesn't. In Patch 1.06, the Russian Empire will enter as a de iure empire in 1066 (not owned by anybody, presumably). At that point Byzantium was doing well. On the other hand, the "third Rome" thing originated after 1469, which is the date when Grand Prince Ivan III married Zoe Palaiologina, daughter of Thomas (himself titled emperor of Constantinople), brother of the last ruling emperor, Constantine XI (the latter having died in 1453 which is when CK2 stops, to state the obvious). The Grand Princes initially claimed (and with varying success) the title of "tzar", generally being believed to be equivalent to the western title of king. The use of the imperial title really began in 1721 under Peter the Great and recognition was limited. That was something between the "third Rome" pretence and more modern ideas. Muuuch different from a 1066 de iure empire of Russia (at which point, obviously, there is no third Rome or anything).
    The de jure status doesn't really matter because I mentioned using it while modding and I can make it titular. *shrug*

The historical time frame doesn't matter either. I said I'd make it creatable if Byzantium is gone, so that means Byzantium would have to be destroyed before 1453, making the scenario ahistorical anyway.

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    The de jure status doesn't really matter because I mentioned using it while modding and I can make it titular. *shrug*

The historical time frame doesn't matter either. I said I'd make it creatable if Byzantium is gone, so that means Byzantium would have to be destroyed before 1453, making the scenario ahistorical anyway.
    Well, what if, in your game, Rus is Catholic and France is Orthodox and married to the last Byzantine claimant? I think empires other than the existing HRE and ERE should be based on conditions and events rather than specific geographical locations. Those conditions could be fun to meet, making the player exercise his intrigue and diplomacy skills to reap the reward, kinda similar to getting elected in Elective succession law. And I like the EU series HRE.
    CK2 Succession Survival Guide
    CK2 Book of Tips (46 and counting)
    CK2 suggestions of fixes and improvements (63 and counting)

CK2 AARs:
    Dominus Regni Poloniae (8 Feb 1296 Duchy of Greater Poland, finished)
    Lives of the Saints (Various times and places, single-character games)
    Land's End (A tale from Tintagel)
    CEO, EMEA (Guess what)

I like the commander traits addition, that could potential add a LOT of depth to the combat system. Although, maybe something similar could be added for other educations? As in, for a religious education maybe a character could have a trait like "inquisitor" that would give a bonus to conversion as court chaplain.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourIron Cross
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Can't wait to play as Sheikh yer Monaymaykah
    Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

"There is no joy without Clan Donald. There is no strength to be without them!"

Quote Originally Posted by spinoza013 View Post
    Can't wait to play as Sheikh yer Monaymaykah
    That took me longer than it should've to get XD

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by SaintEsteban View Post
    That took me longer than it should've to get XD
    He was a vassal of Sultan a-Raisin.
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Grell74 View Post
    Really? What I find laughable is the cognative dissonance of you guys passionately arguing against the developers decision to include more Empires in their game. I am prepared to be open minded about it. Why do you, Nuril and Co. stoop so low as belittling other posters intelligence, spelling or use of wikipedia just because they dont agree with your narrow 2 Empires only stance?
    This from the guy who refers to other posters' comments as "inane".

Quote Originally Posted by Damorte View Post
    You do not have to use the feature unless you want to. Wich of course means that you are in fact trying to dictate to people who want this featured added to the game how they sshould play their game, not the other way around.

Also im really thankful that paradox listens to their customers and add things to their games that are in high demand.
    And lastly if you read what i wrote before, i never asked for this feature and im probably not going to use it because it does not fit my playstyle. But i still think its totally ok that this feature is added to the game because:
    IT DOES NOT AFFECT MY GAMEPLAY BECAUSE I CAN CHOOSE NOT TO USE IT
    Actually, I do have to use it and it does affect my game. The de jure map is going to be covered in this stuff, and all these provinces are going to have these names in them. That is distracting and immersion breaking. Is it game breaking? Of course not, and I'll play anyway, but it's not nothing, either, so don't pretend that nothing in my experience is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garak View Post
    Actually, I do have to use it and it does affect my game. The de jure map is going to be covered in this stuff, and all these provinces are going to have these names in them. That is distracting and immersion breaking. Is it game breaking? Of course not, and I'll play anyway, but it's not nothing, either, so don't pretend that nothing in my experience is changing.
    Oh come on now. Counties only list the de jure duchy and kingdom, not the empire. The only time you'll ever see these is if you look at the de jure empires map mode, and surely you don't spend enough time there to warrant all this moaning.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by SaintEsteban View Post
    Oh come on now. Counties only list the de jure duchy and kingdom, not the empire. The only time you'll ever see these is if you look at the de jure empires map mode, and surely you don't spend enough time there to warrant all this moaning.
    Huh... looking back, you're right. I was sure I'd seen it there before. I was actually about to argue the point when my natural self-doubt made me double check. Weird. Well, scratch that bit of my response, then.

Duchies show the empire though I'm almost positive.

Well, it does have another (IMO undesirable) effect on the game: a newly-created empire will have CBs on all of its de jure lands, even lands that it never actually controlled. For recreated historical empires like the HRE or Byzantines that might be acceptable, if a little implausible; but it really stretches credulity for ahistorical fantasy empires like Britannia.

Quote Originally Posted by Calanctus View Post
    Well, it does have another (IMO undesirable) effect on the game: a newly-created empire will have CBs on all of its de jure lands, even lands that it never actually controlled. For recreated historical empires like the HRE or Byzantines that might be acceptable, if a little implausible; but it really stretches credulity for ahistorical fantasy empires like Britannia.
    I have to wonder, can creation requirements be separate from de jure territory? For example could Britannia require 2 of the 4 British Kingdoms, but not actually have any de jure territory attached to it? I figured these titles were likely going to be Titular, especially since Francia is mentioned and half to a third of it is de jure or de facto HRE.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

So, to the big question, will there be a dev diary on midsommarafton or will all the developers be busy drinking snaps and dancing around the pole tomorrow?

*pictures Doomdark doing Små Grodorna*

I alone have the right to use my avatar!

See the proof

Quote Originally Posted by justin6477 View Post
    I have to wonder, can creation requirements be separate from de jure territory? For example could Britannia require 2 of the 4 British Kingdoms, but not actually have any de jure territory attached to it? I figured these titles were likely going to be Titular, especially since Francia is mentioned and half to a third of it is de jure or de facto HRE.
    Yes, you can simply make it so that the person wishing to create the title must also have other titles - which is exactly what I'm going to change for pretty much all of the emperor titles, as it happens. If I can be bothered, I'll probably change it to 'High Kingdoms' (or something similar) instead of 'Empires', as well.
    Last edited by Alratan; 21-06-2012 at 16:50.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well aside from all the discussions, cant wait for this, and it will be exiting to see what mods will follow this expansion NOW boys, GO Fetch this piece of discussion steak

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Yeah, you could change Britannia so it looked something like this:

Code:
    	e_britannia = {
    		color = { 200 25 25 }
    		capital = 32 # Middlesex
    		allow = {
    			OR = {
    				culture_group = west_germanic
    				culture_group = celtic
    			}
    		religion = catholic
    		}
    		gain_effect = {
    			prestige = 2500
    			piety = 1000
    		}
    	}
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight of Hand View Post
    Yeah, you could change Britannia so it looked something like this:

Code:
    	e_britannia = {
    		color = { 200 25 25 }
    		capital = 32 # Middlesex
    		allow = {
    			OR = {
    				culture_group = west_germanic
    				culture_group = celtic
    			}
    		religion = catholic
    		}
    		gain_effect = {
    			prestige = 2500
    			piety = 1000
    		}
    	}
    I'd drop the piety gain. Also, wouldn't it need a landless=yes tag? If not, my mistake, I'm new to modding.

I couldn't follow this closely so I have to ask if there is already a set release date

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast