• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(474922)

Private
5 Badges
Apr 11, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
Hey, how's it going everybody? I've been playing EU3 for a while now and really enjoy Grand Strategy games such as EU3, Medieval 2: Total War, and Civilization. What I'd just like to know is how difficult this game is to learn compared to some of the above titles. Thanks.

The dynasty element can be tricky, and it's hard knowing what you should and shouldn't pay attention to when you first start up.

Have you any experience with CKI?

Regardless, if you've played your fair share of Paradox games then you should get there in the end! If you get CKII register it here and then you can always drop in and ask questions when you get stuck.

Well, it's a completely different way of looking at the game compared to EU3 and Civ. Didn't play Medieval 2 so I can't comment there.

Always remember that you're playing a family, not a country. So there's more focus on managing your personal holdings than managing the entire nation. For example in EU3 you can create buildings in any province you own, in CK2 you can only effect counties you own. However, it's reasonably more complex than EU3's upgrade system.

I would say it's standard Paradox difficulty. The game's aren't hard once you learn what the focus is, but until you do the learning curve is a pain in the ass.

You may want to watch an LP like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZbp_ZgOzg

Is there a pretty comprehensive tutorial in the game? Most of what I learned about EU3 I picked up from the wiki before I even purchased the game. The wiki and the manual for this game kind of leaves me overwhelmed and I don't really know where to start, and it doesn't even have a good beginner's guide.

Is there a pretty comprehensive tutorial in the game? Most of what I learned about EU3 I picked up from the wiki before I even purchased the game. The wiki and the manual for this game kind of leaves me overwhelmed and I don't really know where to start, and it doesn't even have a good beginner's guide.

The Let's plays are honestly your best bet to be told how to play. Or at least watch people get it wrong and explain what they did wrong. Alternatively just jump in as an Irish count or duke. They're incredibly safe to play since only 2 of the 5 duchies have formed. I'd recommend House Sithrigi in Ulster. You're too far aware to be jihad-ed, your immediate rivals are as weak as you are and the English monster tends to be embroiled in wars with other countries. They also have no natural reason to attack you.

Honestly, just start a game and try learning by doing.

of course you can read some tutorials and wikis about game mechanics and so on, but I had problems to understand those hints right, without knowing what it would look and feel ingame.
just start after reading about the basics, alt+tab out of the game when there are questions coming up.
read the forums, there is a thread named "quick answers". there you can find quick help, if a google-search doesnt help you, AND you can read some older questions to get a feeling for common ingame problems.

some basic tipps for expanding your dynastie peacefully:

its possible to invite clamiants of other countries to your court. there you can easily kill off their spouses and kids, and marry with one of your kinswomen matrilineal. then you can press their claims by war or hope for inheritance.

inviting guys to your court is a great way to get highly skilled councillors to your court.

as a vassal, e.g. in the HRE, try to avoid the approval of higher crown laws... in absolute crown authority you are not able to fight any war! dont ask me how to avoid that. currently im stuck in the HRE as a duke...

if you are not sure, its totally legit to save-and-load in your first gamethrough, to try out the outcome of different decisions.

use google a lot and the forums

have fun, I'm totally addicted to the game after only 5 days. loved eu3 though its no surprise ;)

Hey BigHemp, I was the same as you. To learn this game, you don't need tutorials or hints.
You just have to play. After a few games, you'll learn the game fast enough by trying.