• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gman551

Major
126 Badges
Jan 17, 2008
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Hey guys this is my second nub thread, I promis I won't flood the forum with them I don't anticipate making anymore...anyways

I have no idea what technologies I should research and in what order.

Specifically Belgium since its a great beginner nation that I am trying to turn into a great power

another unrelated question, I got to rank 8 at one point in my last game but I didn't become a great power?!

I thought it was the top 8 nations

thanks for the help in advance you guys are helping me figure out this game

Hey guys this is my second nub thread, I promis I won't flood the forum with them I don't anticipate making anymore...anyways

I have no idea what technologies I should research and in what order.

Specifically Belgium since its a great beginner nation that I am trying to turn into a great power

another unrelated question, I got to rank 8 at one point in my last game but I didn't become a great power?!

I thought it was the top 8 nations

thanks for the help in advance you guys are helping me figure out this game

In AHD, you have to be rank 8 or higher for an entire year before becoming a GP; this is to let declining nations try to regain their status.

Don't hesitate to post questions its how most of us learned. Myself I post questions all the time and don't see it stopping :). Answer other's questions when you can and it all balances out.

What technologies to research depends on many things. What nation you are, your tech team, and what your personal goals are all factor in. For Belgium I'd personally research culture tech forget about army and navy early make strong alliances. Research points gets priority followed by increasing education modifier. Medicine, Nationalism and Imperialism, and machine guns need to be all researched by 1870 (machine guns unlocks at 1870) if you want to colonize, which you should if you want GP status as Belgium.

Personally speaking I always go for the clean coal technology as one of my first if not the first becuase it seems to give your industry a much needed boost early on.

For example by the 1860's in a game where I focused on Commerce and Industry I was producing over 25% of the worlds steel and was a great power!

Also on a tangent does anyone else feel there should perhaps be some kind of eventual automatic tech gains? It just doesn't seem write that because a specific focus wasn't dedicated to it I could for example still be using ships of the line or muskets by 1900 as a great power. Or perhaps there should be an ability to "lease" technology/units from more developed powers so you could for example pay another country to build a certain factory or unit for you.

Hope I've not derailed the thread!

Personally speaking I always go for the clean coal technology as one of my first if not the first becuase it seems to give your industry a much needed boost early on.

For example by the 1860's in a game where I focused on Commerce and Industry I was producing over 25% of the worlds steel and was a great power!

Also on a tangent does anyone else feel there should perhaps be some kind of eventual automatic tech gains? It just doesn't seem write that because a specific focus wasn't dedicated to it I could for example still be using ships of the line or muskets by 1900 as a great power. Or perhaps there should be an ability to "lease" technology/units from more developed powers so you could for example pay another country to build a certain factory or unit for you.

Hope I've not derailed the thread!

What nation are you playing when you do this? I'm curious, because coal tech making a difference would be true for a major coal producer only of course.