• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

synthshadow

Captain
30 Badges
Apr 4, 2005
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
No I've not been at the baked beans and onion pasties... (Can't afford to what with the Govts pasty tax...) but just wondered as I've discovered attacking with gas, is there anything I have to manually do to use it in battle or is it just a passive bonus that gets added on in the background?

No, its a passive 3 point bonus (as if your general had an extra 3 points attach, defend, whatever)

One thing its very important to do it make sure to wage war with a gas capable nation fairly soon after its invention. I once made the mistake of getting into 20 odd years of peace following MY invention of gas (first by far), and still did not have the defensive capability into the 30s. So my armies were absolutely decimated. Stupid, if you ask me.

Right general rule of thumb is go at it as soon as I invent it... MARVELLOUS! Thanks all. :happy:

There appears to be a problem with gas attack. I researched all the necessary techs, and got the invention. I remember it firing. The problem is now I'm in a war and my opponent is using gas on me but my troops aren't using gas on them. Why? I'm not talking about defending against gas, I understand there's a lag with that, I'm saying the gas invention fired so my troops should be using gas attacks, but they're not.

There appears to be a problem with gas attack. I researched all the necessary techs, and got the invention. I remember it firing. The problem is now I'm in a war and my opponent is using gas on me but my troops aren't using gas on them. Why? I'm not talking about defending against gas, I understand there's a lag with that, I'm saying the gas invention fired so my troops should be using gas attacks, but they're not.
That sounds like your opponent does have gas defense, whereas you don't — hence, only his attack is taken into calculation, and yours is negated.

That sounds like your opponent does have gas defense, whereas you don't — hence, only his attack is taken into calculation, and yours is negated.
Yeah, that's why you want to fight soon after inventing gas attack. Then both you and your opponent will have gas attack, but not gas defense. It will be a bloody war, but at least you'll be on an equal footing.

Yeah, that's why you want to fight soon after inventing gas attack. Then both you and your opponent will have gas attack, but not gas defense. It will be a bloody war, but at least you'll be on an equal footing.

I was in a war, and the gas attack invention fired a few weeks after it ended. I think it's coded like that so you don't get it during a war. Then I got into a war with the same opponent less than 2 years later and was looking forward to gassing them, but then I discover that won't be happening. Strange, they didn't have gas in the earlier war, so why are they now getting the benefit of it and not me...

So I did fight as soon as possible after getting the invention - earlier even - but it didn't matter.

I was in a war, and the gas attack invention fired a few weeks after it ended. I think it's coded like that so you don't get it during a war. Then I got into a war with the same opponent less than 2 years later and was looking forward to gassing them, but then I discover that won't be happening. Strange, they didn't have gas in the earlier war, so why are they now getting the benefit of it and not me...
No, you can invent gas attack while at war aswell. Sounds like your opponent has gas attack and gas defense, hence why you're not getting the benefit.

So I did fight as soon as possible after getting the invention - earlier even - but it didn't matter.

Either you probably didn't have one of the two inventions necessary for it to trigger (cracking or carbon soil enrichment) or it was bad luck. Either way, 4% isn't a very high chance. And your enemy probably got in another war with someone who had gas attack and got gas defense before peace.

No, you can invent gas attack while at war aswell. Sounds like your opponent has gas attack and gas defense, hence why you're not getting the benefit.

That's what happened. Later during the war I discovered 'gas defense' and the enemy lost its 3+ bonus.

Either you probably didn't have one of the two inventions necessary for it to trigger (cracking or carbon soil enrichment) or it was bad luck. Either way, 4% isn't a very high chance. And your enemy probably got in another war with someone who had gas attack and got gas defense before peace.

I had both cracking and carbon soil enrichment. I've lost track but that enemy has been fighting constantly so you're probably right that gas defense triggered for it during the short peace my country had with them.