+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Attack!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Gas Attack!

No I've not been at the baked beans and onion pasties... (Can't afford to what with the Govts pasty tax...) but just wondered as I've discovered attacking with gas, is there anything I have to manually do to use it in battle or is it just a passive bonus that gets added on in the background?
    No, I'm not a tree-hugging, granola-eating, hippy-daisy-wearing marshmallow of a creampuff - Scocou.

As EU4 isn't the game for peaceful internal development, I suggest that you use that money to put boots in exotic places... - Knul

No, its a passive 3 point bonus (as if your general had an extra 3 points attach, defend, whatever)

One thing its very important to do it make sure to wage war with a gas capable nation fairly soon after its invention. I once made the mistake of getting into 20 odd years of peace following MY invention of gas (first by far), and still did not have the defensive capability into the 30s. So my armies were absolutely decimated. Stupid, if you ask me.

Darkest HourDivine WindVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

you can defeat a much stronger enemy if you have gas and your enemy don't, combined with a decent general enemy stacks would vaporize.
    AAR: A Revolutionary France! ----Complete

Your nation only develops Gas Defence once you fight against a nation with Gas Attacks.
    This signature is intentionally left blank.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Right general rule of thumb is go at it as soon as I invent it... MARVELLOUS! Thanks all.
    No, I'm not a tree-hugging, granola-eating, hippy-daisy-wearing marshmallow of a creampuff - Scocou.

As EU4 isn't the game for peaceful internal development, I suggest that you use that money to put boots in exotic places... - Knul

There appears to be a problem with gas attack. I researched all the necessary techs, and got the invention. I remember it firing. The problem is now I'm in a war and my opponent is using gas on me but my troops aren't using gas on them. Why? I'm not talking about defending against gas, I understand there's a lag with that, I'm saying the gas invention fired so my troops should be using gas attacks, but they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by doublezero View Post
    There appears to be a problem with gas attack. I researched all the necessary techs, and got the invention. I remember it firing. The problem is now I'm in a war and my opponent is using gas on me but my troops aren't using gas on them. Why? I'm not talking about defending against gas, I understand there's a lag with that, I'm saying the gas invention fired so my troops should be using gas attacks, but they're not.
    That sounds like your opponent does have gas defense, whereas you don't — hence, only his attack is taken into calculation, and yours is negated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwebbie View Post
    That sounds like your opponent does have gas defense, whereas you don't — hence, only his attack is taken into calculation, and yours is negated.
    Yeah, that's why you want to fight soon after inventing gas attack. Then both you and your opponent will have gas attack, but not gas defense. It will be a bloody war, but at least you'll be on an equal footing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaol View Post
    Yeah, that's why you want to fight soon after inventing gas attack. Then both you and your opponent will have gas attack, but not gas defense. It will be a bloody war, but at least you'll be on an equal footing.
    I was in a war, and the gas attack invention fired a few weeks after it ended. I think it's coded like that so you don't get it during a war. Then I got into a war with the same opponent less than 2 years later and was looking forward to gassing them, but then I discover that won't be happening. Strange, they didn't have gas in the earlier war, so why are they now getting the benefit of it and not me...

So I did fight as soon as possible after getting the invention - earlier even - but it didn't matter.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

I was in a war, and the gas attack invention fired a few weeks after it ended. I think it's coded like that so you don't get it during a war. Then I got into a war with the same opponent less than 2 years later and was looking forward to gassing them, but then I discover that won't be happening. Strange, they didn't have gas in the earlier war, so why are they now getting the benefit of it and not me...
    No, you can invent gas attack while at war aswell. Sounds like your opponent has gas attack and gas defense, hence why you're not getting the benefit.

So I did fight as soon as possible after getting the invention - earlier even - but it didn't matter.
    Either you probably didn't have one of the two inventions necessary for it to trigger (cracking or carbon soil enrichment) or it was bad luck. Either way, 4% isn't a very high chance. And your enemy probably got in another war with someone who had gas attack and got gas defense before peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    No, you can invent gas attack while at war aswell. Sounds like your opponent has gas attack and gas defense, hence why you're not getting the benefit.
    That's what happened. Later during the war I discovered 'gas defense' and the enemy lost its 3+ bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteTK View Post
    Either you probably didn't have one of the two inventions necessary for it to trigger (cracking or carbon soil enrichment) or it was bad luck. Either way, 4% isn't a very high chance. And your enemy probably got in another war with someone who had gas attack and got gas defense before peace.
    I had both cracking and carbon soil enrichment. I've lost track but that enemy has been fighting constantly so you're probably right that gas defense triggered for it during the short peace my country had with them.

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Gas defense and Edison light bulb remain as my proof that the RNG hates me.
    Cheers,
    Cromagnon

+ Reply to Thread