• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not soon after I started again, Scotland called me to war. I didn't particularly feel like breaking the alliance, so I joined in anyway.
1GQTO.png

And even with this hit in stability, I decided to take another one rather than gain inflation. I can recover from stability hits...inflation increase? Not so likely.
yeesF.png

I didn't really feel like fighting Castille, so I declared white peace with them. It was better than being stuck in a long war.
HG2xk.png

Surprisingly enough, land tech increased. Explanation to this sudden change later. (but I think the more experienced of you can figure it out)
qRI2c.png

With Novgorod already tangled with Finland and Tver, and with Novgorod occupied by Tverian soldiers, I decided to take Estland while I could.
3o5OB.png

Pommerania of course came for a second time, but with the Hansa backing me up, I didn't worry too much about them.
POPQ2.png

The Scots got some new land courtesy of Castille.
k6TYW.png

And Novgorod took a part of Finland, vassalizing them.
WBa94.png

With Estland taken and nothing else I felt like doing, Novgorod quickly accepted my offer of peace.
ALaSy.png

Meanwhile, I got this event. Legitimacy losses are easy to recover. Prestige losses? Not so much.
8Jeh8.png

Land tech went up again to 13. Curious about this, I checked my tech screen. I'm getting a 64+ bonus just from having the English as a neighbor!
XVnzX.png

Denmark got this in 1507. I don't think they converted to Protestant, so it must be a reactionary response to Protestantism.
gcoLH.png

The Reformation started in 1507 as well, in Lorraine. (Fun fact: they were Protestant before)
sdUQn.png

Then my theologian died. Who wants to bet the guy replacing him is gonna die too?
A3144.png

w0w3M.png

I got a rude surprise when I checked the DoW screen for Prussia to find that The Hansa was no longer my ally, but for some reason was still allied to Prussia, even though we were both Catholic and the Hansa was Protestant.
rU0Zy.png

England sent me an insult. Not too sure why.
Q5RFU.png

A saint! I was more than happy to get the gain in stability.
vvhhx.png

With government tech level 11 came a new national idea. What else than Quest for the New World?
KEuDh.png

Then my Master of Mint died. I replaced him with a slightly less capable (but still useful!) master of mint.
EKFaC.png

Then I got probably one of the less useful events.
P2DyF.png

The World, December 10th, 1508
4eosW.jpg

The following provinces changed to Protestant over the years:
Finland
Stockholm
Eidsiva
Bergslagen
Tavastland

It is a misconception that neighbourhood bonus is gained from adjacent provinces. It is actually gained from every nation in your tech group who has superior tech to you, up to a maximum of 100 ducats/month. Either they are already building rocketships in Ulm/Holland/Bar or your Sweden is really, really backwards. England is seldom the centre of technological advance.

And nothing at all to do with my home, but I'm amazed that AI Scotland is slapping Castille about and that England hasn't decided to step all over them.

If Scotland and England ever went to war though, Scotland would summon the highlanders and absolutely crush the English if you were to help hold them off for a while.

Well, that makes me feel a lot worse. Nonetheless, I think Scotland's only survived so long is because England is too busy fighting France and meddling around in Africa/Greece, as well as their entire progress in Ireland being reversed because of France.

So, it's basically just like history... :p

Out of interest, why do you have a theologian? You can't convert your protestant provinces yet because of the -20% and you don't have any other non-Catholic provinces!

Hmm, that Prussia looks like it would put up quite a fight if/when you decide to take the rest of the Batlic States (Livland, Riga, Kurland) ohh well they won't stand a chance agoinst Swedish Steel!

That Prussia most certainly will put up a fight. Thankfully, I'm now on the same land tech level as them, so it shouldn't be too hard. Just need to make sure I can get what I want before someone comes along and beats the crap out of my inflation-ridden country.

Inflation - Don't let it cripple you hold it in check and reduce when you can.;)
IMO your doing a good job. You just had a rocky start.

This update is extremely short, due to problems with screenshot uploads (out of the 17 I took, for some reason only 8 are usable) and I was too unmotivated to continue, you'll see why.

In 1509 I decided it was high time to declare war against Prussia and take what is mine - Livland!
IQ7RL.png

My allies quickly came to my aid, while Bavaria and Brandenburg abandoned Prussia to her fate.
q6Tpd.png

In the middle of the war, Protestantism spread further.
OEmzR.png

Unfortunately, this is where the good news ends. I began to siege Livland, only to just barely take it before the Prussian army of 15,000 men came for my head. Outmatched and low on morale, I took severe losses and retreated, where Prussia then wiped out my entire army. Quickly realizing that this war wasn't going to end well, I declared white peace. I'd have to come back with a bigger army and much better tactics if I wanted to knock Prussia out.

Soon after, I got a truckload of alliance offers from small OPMs. I declined them all until Moscow came up. Why not, I said. I needed a land ally against Prussia.
21y6f.png

And almost right after I declare white peace, my tech is now even with Prussia.
xEHuJ.png

I got an event to support foreign rebels, and rather than kick my stability to -1, I paid the money even though I didn't have it. That caused me to take a loan...I hate loans.
8rcpW.png

But that didn't matter, since this came up anyway.
XB2Hr.png

I stopped after this, or at least this is where I stopped taking screenshots. This wasn't a good run for Sweden. Perhaps next time we will fare better, but with -2 stability, two rebel armies and still murdering inflation, what can be done?
ihCns.png

Ouch, you've had a bad run of luck! I hope your luck improves!

I'm going to end this AAR on a very disappointing note - without getting too much into it, Stockholm and some neighboring provinces fell to rebels and through Finnish and Norwegian-supported rebellions Neva, Estland, Eidsiva and Jamtland reverted to Finnish and Norwegian control, respectively. I lost all my allies, my stability went down to -3 and my relations and economy is in ruins. I don't see any hope for getting back from this other than cheats, so I'll have to end my AAR and the save game. Once again the damn screenshots won't upload so I can't even tell you the story of how it happened.

Sorry for such a disappointing AAR, people. :sad:

You should try to reload from some older savegame if you have it... I was hoping to see how others fare since none of my Swedish campaigns were good, but it seems you had no luck either...

I'll try again...

but not with this AAR. I'm going to be moving on to something else. I'm not sure when I'll write another AAR with college coming up, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I have to echo Jake, I got more into this AAR than pretty much any other. I don't just sympathize with you, I totally empathize with you. I haven't ever completed a Divine Wind game (though to be fair, I only play this occasionally), and my only real "successful" game is one with Burgundy, which is a no-brainer considering the cores they start with. Hang in there, Cpl, I'll read your next AAR.