• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We resume our story in April 1432 with one rebel army already attempting to capture Lappland. Norwegian armies are heading up to destroy them for Sweden, with no army left. Inflation is at a disastrous 10.8 and steadily rising so I can get my army back on it's feet.

On 6th June 1432 another rebel army popped up in Osterbotten. Sure, why not, invite all the rebels!
MSLLf.png

p75tK.png

Had this pop up near the end of the year. With what I was investing into land tech it'd be useful.
d14kE.png

And then, on June 25, 1443, it happened. I thought it would never come, and yet, here it was in front of me, plain as day.
tLyZB.png

SWEDEN IS INDEPENDENT ONCE MORE!!!!!!!

Novgorod wasted no time in proposing an alliance with the newly independent Sweden. I sent off a Swedish girl to England to capture the heart (and maybe one day throne) of an English lord. Meanwhile, I gained a son for an heir.
MpwHC.png

Passing the Blasphemy Act was next. I didn't see much of a downside, so why not?
pEhSr.png

YcRy6.png

A move towards centralization meant that more rebels popped up. Oh well, more tradition and more prestige for me!
3U2EQ.png

Thanks to a bonus in cash, I was able to start building more improvements to get my economy back on track.
t6qIO.png

IGg9C.png

(Churches)

Polostk offered an alliance as well. Their position and relative power made them a good choice to take on the Teutons, so I accepted.
rcvgL.png

Suddenly, Austria inherited ANOTHER throne. (They had inherited Savoy during the war but I didn't pay attention to it)
W3aCR.png

More improvements! Yay! More inflation! Boo! (11.2)
M46bi.png

Among others (I spent a few years fighting Finnish nationalists and peasants) I got marriage offers from Luneburg and Mecklenburg. I accepted, especially with Luneburg - a Danish ally. Having someone with Swedish ties would make them think a bit before declaring war.
q9BhY.png

Tver offered an alliance as well. It didn't look like the Russians were going to start beating the Russ out of each other anytime soon, plus one more ally to take on the Order was more than welcome.
5iZ3Y.png

And Murphey's Law strikes again. My Army Organizer died in August. Now I had to find somebody competent enough to fill his place.
JHjpQ.png

I stopped and saved at the end of that month, and it's time for another map update:
0mgeW.jpg

And now a quick overveiw of the world...

Personal Unions
Austria - Savoy
Austria - Mantua
Holland - Brabant

....wait. Does that say "fgjhkostk" up there? (Gibberish being substituted for "Pol" imploding on itself)

I'm totally gonna call them "Ostk" from now on.

I'm thinking a bit longer-term here (Reformation). If/when I convert to Protestant, or if I decide to stay Catholic for the hell of it, I'm going to need those missionaries.

We open 1436 up again with recruiting a new adviser.
KxtOI.png

I have a feeling I'll need him later.

Now, this surprised me. I can't determine if it was the alliance with Otsk or Tver that caused this...maybe a combo of the two.
MOzgM.png

But, that might be a good thing as now I have a CB on them, and those neighboring lands look delicious...(I'm looking at you, Neva)
qChhN.png

1437 rolled around and...Denmark once again tries to restore the union. Well, no matter! Sweden knows what to do now! (All of Denmark's allies (Sans Burgundy as they broke it a while before for some reason) also declared war)
oy9kR.png

Unfortunately, I was so caught up in fighting the war I forgot to take screenshots of it. It was well into August and Denmark had already taken the same two provinces as the First Swedish War of Independence, adding Daskalogen (I think that's the right one) to their list. I negotiated a peace with Luneburg in August.
Z9DVB.png

The war certainly took a terrible toll. I barely had enough ducats to get along, having paid my loan off the previous year. Since I barely had enough money, the choice in this next decision between losing 40 ducats or taking 1 infamy meant the choice was clear. Screw infamy! I'm Sweden!
e0tl0.png

En livstid i krig (1438)
För kriget det kan
Förgöra en man
Jag ger mitt liv för mitt fosterland
Men vem saknar mig?
Så se mig som den
En make, en vän
Fader och son som aldrig kommer hem
Men vem sörjer mig?

(I had to throw it in there, the opportunity was too good to pass up)

Later, the Danes thought they had won. Hah! Won? You won't win here, Denmark. Not now, not ever.
xHdHg.png

Thankfully, the infamy had gone down slightly (I lost track of the war here - once again, got too involved in fighting it than writing about it) before I got this to pop up. Stability loss was not an option, so I went with the lesser of two evils.
gye3c.png

1439 came with Trier asking for peace. It was low enough that I didn't have to worry about it, so I accepted it. Now Denmark and Norway are in the situation Sweden was ten years previous - they stood alone! Oh, how karma is a mean bitch.
yZw9f.png

More money. Muahahaahha. All the more funds to use against the Danes!
yOG8W.png

Although Norway initially had an upper hand against Otsk, I came in to annihilate them.
FhxPl.png

The Norwegian Army retreated to a meager Danish assaulting force...both were quickly destroyed. Denmark began to siege Stockholm, and at first I thought of attacking them there, but then I thought to myself "....nah." Doing that would probably have meant huge casualties for me, and another reason for Denmark to be victorious. So I went after Smaland, which should be rightfully mine.
vZgSw.jpg

K1wJs.png

In October, I attacked Vastergotland and the Danes cancelled their siege in Stockholm long enough to come after me. Just what I wanted!
6pAtD.png

Steam stopped working, so I had to restart my computer to finish this update.

The Danish army fought mine in Smaland (it may have been a while later, judging by the troop levels - important part is I got Vastergotland back) and routed to Skane. No rest for them, time to chase them down!
HPyit.jpg

More tech research. More is always better (except for inflation and infamy...i think statements like these will become known as "But Of Course There Are Obvious Exceptions", or BOCTAOE for short)
2h6gd.png

Another weeping song. I have the feeling my heir is a tad dense...either way, I could afford a loss in ducats now, so a lower war weariness was good.
blH04.png

Tver and Otsk peaced out in the year previous, so I fought Denmark and Norway on my own. With Skane, Halland and Bohuslan mine, and my army working on the capital (I forget it's name, but it's in Norway) the Danes were more than happily willing to go with whatever I wanted.
WkduO.png

And of course almost instantly after I declare peace, I get another reason to declare war on them.
wy87c.png

With the war over, I decided to recruit a better Master of Mint.
SXtBg.png

Oddly enough, the Teutonic Order proposed an alliance. My original short-term goal was to take Gotland, but boy...those Russian lands of Neva and Kola look nice...
Gcu3t.png

Last edited:
War Analysis - Danish-Swedish Reunification War
I will say, this was a great war. Even though for half of it I forgot to take screenshots, I think I get the story off well enough - Sweden not only repelled the Danish/Norwegian invaders, but she took her land back as well!

THE BELLIGERENTS
Sweden (Received Halland and Skane, paid 34 ducats to Trier)
Tver (White Peace in 1443)
Otsk (White Peace in 1443)

vs

Denmark (Ceded Halland and Skane)
Norway (White Peace)
Trier (Received 34 ducats in peace deal in 1439)
Luneburg (White Peace in 1437)

THE PROBLEM(S)
#1 - I didn't document it
This is really the only problem. I completely forgot I was writing and AAR for an hour and forgot to take screenshots until I facepalmed in early 1442 and told myself "IDIOT, TAKE SOME SCREENSHOTS". This was the only real problem in the war.

THE VICTORIES
#1 - Sweden is still independent
Sweden proved in this war that not only can she kick some serious Danish butt, she can defend her homelands as well as any Irishman or Russian.

#2 - Sweden reclaimed old lands
Halland and Skane are now Swedish, and NOT Danish. This is step 1 to conquering all of Scandinavia. Next, Jamtland and Upper Norway!

#3 - The Danish Army is now crippled
Yes, they can rebuild, yes, they'll probably come back in five years. But who cares? I destroyed them. They never bothered me at all after the battle of Skane. The Danish army was too busy trying to reinforce to worry about me attacking Norway. I call that a success.

Overall, I think we can say one thing right now - Adolf Fredrik I Natt och Dag has proven himself to be a great commander and I'll continue to have him lead from the field.

I like this AAR a lot. The fact you were defeated yet kept on and won the next time is something I don't see enough of in AARs! Well done.

Very Good not rage quiting after first failure. :excl:
Keep working at it. Good things come to those who wait and prepare. :D
subscribed

Long live the king! good job! now annex Norway

Agreed! Force the new Kalmar Union upon Denmark and Norway, this time led by Sweden ofcourse

First off - thanks so much for all of the comments. This is especially good given this is my first EU3 AAR and my first AAR in quite a few years.

1444 closes with Scotland offering an alliance. While I'm way of Otsk or the Order cancelling due to a triple alliance (apparently the AI doesn't like these for some reason) I accept it anyway.
zaK8k.png

And then before Christmas Eve, some weird guys show up. I already have a lot of spies, so I tell them to get out.
k3P1y.png

I noticed in 1445 the same pretender rebels I had fought in the Reunification War had failed to be destroyed by the Norwegian army. They began to siege Akershus, hopefully forcing another domino of the Kalmar union to fall and leaving me free to annihilate them at will.
7uRPu.png

I moved again towards free trade in anticipation of sending Swedish merchants to Lubeck, but that'll have to be on hold for a while. I'll definitely need these merchants if I want to lower my inflation.
d3LRB.png

1446 came with a cultural assimilation...
sHUsZ.png

....and 1446 ended with a setback in naval research. No biggie, naval research isn't my priority at the moment anyways.
FroSe.png

1447 came with my previous monarch, Eric XIII Sparre, dying. He would be missed.
SloIC.png

An Army Organizer arrived as well. I decided to replace my grand marshal (is that right? he increased legitimacy) with him, as my legitimacy was high enough, and my heir had a good claim already.
Oh3gF.png

Then I saw the Pretender had seized the Norwegian throne! You would think this would break the PU, but apparently not...Norway was still under Danish rule technically. A regency is currently ruling over Denmark, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if the union is broken.
rT7Qi.png

Now, this came up as well and I'd be lying if I said I understood the penalties. I chose to execute the bailiff, but why would that affect my prestige? Ignoring the problem causing stability loss, I understand, but you would think executing the bailiff would help, since now you solved the problem. At least, that's how I think. But I think strangely.
ZXAtY.png

I introduced young Fredrik in an attempt to finally get rid of that bloody "Raise our prestige!" mission. (Hint: it didn't work)
jIYFC.png

More advisers...when will this parade end?
5mFxn.png

In mid-1450, the Order declared war on Lithuania.
yKDdQ.png

To get an idea of how much of a pathetic steamroll this is...
y6sHk.jpg

That's their one and only province right there. And they're calling both me and Bavaria in. (I accepted.) Milan, Poland, Pommerania and Meissen honored their alliances, but the Emperor was nowhere to be seen.
ouGl8.png

After painfully kicking my maintenance to full and raising war taxes, I asked the Russians to "please let me through before I kill you". Needless to say, they let me through.
bFAjq.png

I decided to check on Milan...
VKo7w.png

...and quickly determined they were not a threat.

Meanwhile, I attacked the Rigan army trying to take Livland. I've noticed games never go too well for Riga. They almost always end up vassalised or annexed. Sometimes both.
iPcdF.png

Then, Adolf Fredrik I Natt och Dag died in battle. It was a sad day for Sweden. But his son, Fredrik I Natt och Dag may be a better commander, and his son may not be too far off as well.
MXCuH.png

7Sl4N.png

With the loss in stability, when that minstrel (I hated those guys in Assassin's Creed II - i always punched them if I could) arrived I had him travel around.
dSHT5.png

Pommerania offered a peace before I even arrived, but I declined. Scots don't like being told what to do, and neither do Swedes.
kfq7J.png

I attacked the Meissen Army in Potsdam and won...unsurprisingly.
o35Lu.png

I then chased the Meissenese....Meisse....Meissenen.....Messi army into their homeland and took their home.
xOOXE.png

UHjRi.png

Poland peaced out and soon only Pommerania stood. I declared white peace with them and went back home. The Germans and Prussians could handle the rest of the war from there.
P5oze.png

In the rest of the world, the Ottomans were next to annihilated and Venice is busy fighting Byzantium for control of Greece. Castille is being Castille and now I see why everyone calls it the Big Blue Blob.
l7h6s.jpg

No war analysis for the TO War because there was so little actual combat.

Ottomans gone what a shame.
Might want a second reg of cav. If you have cav on each wing with enough inf they can attack and not get attacked.
I like war.:ninja:

I started back up in 1452 with making Fredrik I a military leader. I knew he had great potential and he did not disappoint. Rating of 5 in shock, and 1 for everything else. He'd certainly come in handy against the Russians and Danes.
vrG5s.png

The Order declared peace with Pommerania in the same year, surprisingly enough not asking for land. Guess their infamy was high enough or something.
4Z8i1.png

And the year ended with a kick in ducats for me. Other than my monarch dying, this was a fairly solid year!
lG90T.png

Mid 1453 came up with an adviser arriving. I didn't see a reason for getting rid of him in place of those I already had, so I let him go.
AmIP4.png

Unfortunately, Norway is still in that damned PU with Denmark. Oh well, I can handle Norway any day. It's Denmark I worry about. When I checked at the end of my save, their tech level was at least one above mine, two in government tech.
Ydzh9.png

In an effort to cut costs, I disbanded some infantry regiments. Nobody would miss them.
Cp4bc.png

It did help slightly, but that inflation is still murdering me. Are there any events that reduce inflation, and if so how likely is it that I can get them? I really need one right now.
DkM8d.png

I had 8 prestige when this popped up, so now I can finally get rid of that damned Prestige mission I've had for so long. I didn't want to spare ducats, so I used the army.
kzhI9.png

With that, I got my next mission...control Estonia. Apart from the fact my ally is one of those I have a CB on, not too shabby. I can probably nab some Finnish provinces and Kola from the Russians as well.
0Svnx.jpg

But of course, Murphy's Law has to rear it's head and ruin my fun.
js86x.png

Wasting no time, I recruited a new adviser and hired him.
d0x4q.png

Aaaand here we go with this event again. See last post for why I think it's a strange event.
SpTOk.png

I inched towards free trade a bit more and lost merchants...again. Damn it.
GvJDS.png

Now my advisers are dropping like flies...what is this black magic?!
T8Kvg.png

I recruited my 4th Master of Mint in as many decades and gave him the desk of my old one, with Rettil's body still in it.
Ho4RZ.png

Then I took a look at Denmark's tech and I swear to all that is holy my heart skipped a beat.
kl3S1.png

This was going to be a BIG problem in the future.

Another travelling minstrel...do these guys have anything better to do other than annoy me?
FG38T.png

When I regained some merchants, I spammed Lubeck with them and somehow got three to stay there for nearly an entire year.
tuV0U.jpg

jCDog.png

8dOFy.png

lEniO.png

WsKO8.png

...well, I did say nearly...

I got a Diplomat, but didn't see a need to hire him. My infamy was already at 0, and I didn't plan on going to war soon (not with that murdering inflation)
rXPKL.png

In 1459 the merchants stabilized at 4, helping with my finances.
LeIth.png

EYOSu.png

I stopped in January 2nd, 1460. The British were busy beating up Venice and Castille, and I forsee a war with Scotland, which probably means Swedish soldiers are going to be marching onto English shores in the near future.
a3FoM.jpg

Inflation events... inflation events. I can't think of any off the top of my head, unfortunately.

Anyway, you need some expansion either way. And I'd highly suggest turning treasury slider to zero if you can without deficit. You need tax buildings most of all.

Tech problem due to infation and poor provinces.
Inflation problem - Tighten your belt and don't mint more than .03% so you get .11 reduction per year.
Only mint more to keep from taking a loan. anything to not take loans.
Invest in one thing at a time adjust so you gain tech level Jan 1.
Put extra into tech you want to get next.
Once you get inflation under 1% you can mint IE reduction .15% mint .14%
Good Luck. :cool:

PS : If you get a chance look at SFORZA A MILAN AAR about inflation out of control.
know of 1 to gain sorry.

Last edited:
the only inflation event I know of comes from "better administration"comes from going decentralized

This next update is going to be very screenshot-heavy. Why, you may ask? Well, here's a hint - it involves a Prussian, a Scotsman, a Swede and three Russians walking into a bar...