• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cpl Wilding

First Lieutenant
70 Badges
Dec 25, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
Welcome to my first EU3 AAR! I've written some AARs for HoI3 before, but they never got off the ground due to my laziness and loss of interest. However, I am committed to fully finishing this AAR and game and writing about it.

Before starting, house rules/goals are as follows:

Random lucky nations
Low AI aggressiveness
Normal setting

Goal: Independence from Denmark - Completed
Goal: Own all of Scandinavia
Goal: Establish an overseas colony (NA/Africa/India/Asia)

With that, I'll now start up EU3 and begin the journey of Sweden!

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1399-1402
1402-1406
1406-1410
1410-1413
1413-1417
1417-1428
1428-1432 (First Swedish War of Independence)
1432-1436
1436-1444 (Danish-Swedish Restoration War)
1444-1452 (Teutonic Order War of Subjugation)
1452-1460
1460-1467 (Swedish Conquest of Neva-Ingermanland)
1467-1478
1478-1479 (Swedish Reconquest of Jamtland)
1479-1485 (Teutonic Cleansing of Heresy)
1485-1490
1490-1492
1493-1495 (2nd Swedish Conquest of Estland)
1495-1498 (Part I - Teutonic Subjugation of Otsk)
1495-1498 (Part II - Portuguese Reconquest of Braganca)
1498-1504
1504-1508
1509-1511

Last edited:
Let us begin.

GM153.jpg

Sweden's position in 1399 is....well, fairly bad to be quite honest. Burdened with colonial costs and an average ability to trade and a need to mint to make money, I'm predicting high inflation for a very long time. I've started by recruiting the best potential advisers I had, and wasted no time in getting to work.

RU9N8.png

Unfortunately, a move towards free trade meant I lost all merchants I could have used in Lubeck. I always try to send as many merchants to CoT as I can, and without these two merchants it's going to be incredibly tough to get into the Lubeck and Novgorod markets.

5qmBN.jpg

Everywhere else, the usual wars started.

oGwAa.jpg

I know it's going to murder my economy, but I have to get this Lappland mission off my mind, lest Norway decides it wants to colonize it as well. With another colony in Osterbotten, I may as well try to expand those colonies to get rid of the costs as fast a possible.

ABuVv.png

I made sure to tell the Danes every so often that they had bad-tasting pastries.

ilkkG.png

With Lappland colonized, a new mission appeared: Try to get on Novgorod's good side. All fine and dandy, let's just send a gift to th-

ArN5E.png

Oh. Hm. That'll be a problem.

yVfEa.png

With a few more insults that equated to "neener-neener" I lowered relations far enough that should he suddenly die in about ten seconds, Sweden would be independent.

Such wishful thinking. King Eric VII Gryf didn't die, and I still had to live under Denmark. Probably for the best, anyway, I highly doubt I could survive on my own at this point anyway.

vuGj2.png

Unfortunately, the priests in Osterbotten began preaching heresy! Rather than risk higher revolt and lowered tax, I took the stability hit...shouldn't take too long to recover that.

For the next two years, nothing truly interesting happened. Burgundy took the Church and excommunicated the rulers of Hainut and Holland, then annexed Hainut the next few months. Holland might be able to get out by asking for WP, but I doubt it. My merchants hate me, and seem to be getting revenge for moving towards free trade by getting into Lubeck then leaving almost instantly when merchants from Pskov arrive. I stopped in mid-May 1402, hopefully 1403 will be the year that Swedish merchants rightfully begin to come in force and help fix the economy. Inflation is going up by .52 per year and it's currently at about 1.2. This is really going to wreck building up the colonies.

Play friendly with Denmark but Break your military alliance with them. Then when they get tied down in a war with Germany you declare a reconquest of Halland or Skåne and boom: You are independent and hopefully a few provinces richer.

Play friendly with Denmark but Break your military alliance with them. Then when they get tied down in a war with Germany you declare a reconquest of Halland or Skåne and boom: You are independent and hopefully a few provinces richer.
I find it's easier on me to just break the alliance and insult them every so often. It hasn't worked against me yet. *knocks on wood*

I guess that after you finally break off the PU, you can say "All embrace me... its my time to rule at last... X years have I been waiting to sit upon my throne..."

By the way, was your title inspired by this song?
But of course :p This certainly hasn't been the first time I've used a Sabaton song in reference to a game. I've made a few Sabaton-themed game montages, but this is the first I've written using a Sabaton song for the title.:rofl:

Update coming today when I actually wake up...

It's time to be slaying the dragon!

The dragon being the King of Denmark, of course. No rest until his head is on a pike!

Not a lot truly happened, unfortunately. This popped up in November 1402:

MTrmi.png

Rather than jack my inflation up to 4.6, I opted to go for Plutocracy. However, I forgot to check my sliders...

xUhkf.png

Oops. Oh well, that's better than adding more inflation to an already crippled economy.

B6yLZ.png

The colonies in Lappland and Osterbotten grew by the day. (Fun fact: I forgot I had to send more colonists >.<)

In 1404, Sweden's luck seemed to be improving. Between the option of add inflation (Lord no) and take -2 stability hit and gain a master of mint, I think my choice is obvious.
satza.png

I got this message a lot more than I wanted to. Curse you Alsace!
KlUpF.png

In 1406 I said "screw it" and began pouring money into Government tech. At least two other countries had already gotten it, I needed to catch up!
qRLUR.png

After long enough, I could FINALLY send Novgorod the last gift they needed for 100+ relations. Woohoo!
iuPFr.png

With that out of the way, let's move on to our next mission.
Qlxoo.png

Improve our prestige? No problem, I'll just-

Wait.

-12?

.........Verdammt.

Don't worry, just send your 12 daughters to petty princes in Europe, Swedish girls are (probably) hot, and you need to send pretty pictures of them anyway, after all who in medieval Europe got to see their bride before the wedding?

Don't worry, just send your 12 daughters to petty princes in Europe, Swedish girls are (probably) hot, and you need to send pretty pictures of them anyway, after all who in medieval Europe got to see their bride before the wedding?
I'd love to, but I'm still in that darned PU. :( Can't send off any hot Swedish ladies to marry unless they go to Denmark and stay there.

Was always interested by Sweden, and I'm liking your AAR. I'll be following.

Interesting start! Looking forward to seeing how you go.

We start in 1406 again with a new mission on our hands: Improve our Prestige. With royal marriages out of the question, I'll have to look at...."other" means...(no, not cheats. I'm not that unscrupulous.)
6ygfY.png

The Hansa asks for trade rights to Fur in July 1406. Accepted, what problem could it cause me?

tgHJL.png

Good Lord, I just can't get a break can I? Stability loss after stability loss...I must have gotten one of the unluckiest nations possible.

oSXKm.png

Lappland and Osterbotten grew even more. Osterbotten would become self-sustaining within the year while Lappland became so around 1407/1408 (I forget which).

a5QNq.png

New adviser. He may help with all of these stability hits I'm taking.

Alas, even with the Master of Mint and Osterbotten becoming self-sustaining, I'm still suffering a huge inflation increase.
dpmKK.png

kqvKh.jpg

The merchants didn't do too hot either. Seeing this makes me sick.

AND THOSE BLOODY HERETICS. Come on, Finland, really. You should know better than to listen to those Russians.
1eiLJ.png

iEpXx.png

When Lappland became self-sustaining, it helped with my costs slightly, but I forgot to check the inflation before I took the screenshot. Probably still going up.

Denmark annexed Holstein (I forget the fancy name...maybe I should revisit my German notes)
z5Vjv.jpg

BLIk8.jpg

And now we end this part of the journey in 1410. Not a whole lot has really changed, per se, but it's still significant to get an idea of what the whole world looks like, even this early in the game.

Nice to see Im not the only one who started a Swedish campaign after Carolus Rex got out. Fantastic album, btw, and I cant wait to see how will your game progress ...

argh you beat me to it! but great start so far

Double update for my birthday! First part will be posted now, I'll play the second part after I get this done.

On October 5th 1410 my level 4 Artist died. How dare he die before I could use him to his full potential!
UARgE.png

With his death fresh in my mind, I recruited a Philosopher shortly after. He wouldn't do a terrible lot quite yet, but some gain was better than no gain.
Dhuhh.png

A great event - +10 prestige because of a focus on quality!
0LnrL.png

I made the move for centralization in 1411, but unfortunately that caused a foolish pretender to arise. I will have to deal with him.
AZEh1.png

After over a year of combat, I finally defeated the pretender. Unfortunately, he took the upper colonies which made me lose prestige each time he took it, kicking me back down to -7 prestige.
p39TJ.png

I stopped after defeating the rebels, knowing even more work would have to be done...Gotland had declared independence from the Teutonics, meaning I had a new enemy to annihilate.

I'm curious why you are minting to provide a monthly income. Is your yearly income not enough to overcome the monthly loss?

I'm minting because of what I'm spending on forts and merchants. Those alone usually empty the treasury to near-zero, and none of my merchants are successful enough to raise my MI enough so that I don't have to mint quite so much. Hopefully that'll change later in the game.

Or not. Either way works.

Gah, next update will be on hold for a bit. Some RL issues came up and I need to do some more work on the screenshots before i can throw them up. I did advance to at least 1417 though so hopefully we'll make some more progress.

We begin again with a new even popping up in 1415...
PNVq2.png

Shortly after that, Government tech went to level 4, providing me with a new idea...my choice was obvious: National Bank!
I7f9X.jpg

With the National Bank reducing inflation even more, the economy could finally start getting back on track.
yNtA1.png

Unfortunately, no more breaks for Sweden...a generation of cowards arose!
nJuID.png

Thankfully, due to traders finally getting use and the national bank, inflation could go finally begin going down.
EHPrG.png

But wouldn't you know it, those same stupid traders went from 4 to 2 nearly overnight, and it seems my stability is stuck at +1. Looks like Sweden will need to do some serious maneuvering or praying to the gods (and by that i mean cheats) to get ahead.