+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good starting Nation for super nub

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    ImpireMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Check their financial situation in the pop screen. Maybe they don't have the money to build?

Quote Originally Posted by gman551 View Post
    i've got another question

Why do all my factories go bankrupt?!

Every time I turn around one of them is closed and even if I reopen it it just closes again!

what the heck man like all my factories suck....

Specifically as Belgium my starting Ammunitions, Armaments, and canned food factories just go belly up every five seconds

What am I doing wrong or not doing right?
    Those industries are likely already supplied in quite large numbers by both artisans (who form the backbone of industry in the early Europe game), as well as by factories in the UK, so you might simply be being outcompeted for the number of wars going on. Protip: Sell/export arms in wartime, and switch to consumer goods when the world is at peace. Goods such as fabric, glass and liquor are great early-mid game choices.

You might have such high tariffs as to prevent your factories from importing goods they need. Make sure tariffs are at most ~0 if they're importing stuff, but they shouldn't be high anyway.

How high have you set your military stockpile to be? If the Belgian Army isn't buying Belgian rifles, then who will? (Disregard that Belgian small arms in the 21st century are exported around the globe).

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

well another thing that happened now that confuses the hell out of me....

i have taxes really low for the middle class but apparently the artisans are not getting their life needs...they have no taxes!!! How can they be destitute

Again any tips for industrializing would be appreciated, should I subsidize factories and try and reopen them when they close? That kinda bankrupts me quick though

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by gman551 View Post
    well another thing that happened now that confuses the hell out of me....

i have taxes really low for the middle class but apparently the artisans are not getting their life needs...they have no taxes!!! How can they be destitute

Again any tips for industrializing would be appreciated, should I subsidize factories and try and reopen them when they close? That kinda bankrupts me quick though
    If they can't make money selling what they make, even 0 taxes won't keep them alive...

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanxia View Post

You might have such high tariffs as to prevent your factories from importing goods they need. Make sure tariffs are at most ~0 if they're importing stuff, but they shouldn't be high anyway.
    Is this true for all nations? What about a country like the USA, which can be largely self-sufficient once its industry gets going? Wouldn't higher tariffs be appropriate to encourage local buying? (And to replicate the historical situation?)

Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV

Two Sicily's can be fun, Taking over African Territories with ease, but you want to get to Algeria and Morocco before Glutton France eats them up. The only hard part can be Uniting Italy. U.S can be tricky in the 1830's and 40's, Mexico is equal to you in military power, but once you Annex Texas and achieve Manifest Destiny It's a breeze. Once you take care of Mexico, have some fun Annexing Pacific Countries. I don't know, I tried the U.S but the Mexican Troops were On Steroids, they blew away my Doom Stacks like they were nothing. My only guess is that I didn't have Generals for the Armies. Santa Anna was Trolling me Hard.

I'm playing as Spain currently and everything seems to be going fine, my Economy is good, I don't go Bankrupt when I order Ships Built. Trying to Industrialize them is tricky and I'm Encouraging Capitalists. Don't Recommend Spain for beginners. Morocco, Tripoli, Algeria are basically Suicide Nations. Unless You're a god at playing Vicky 2 or use cheats, you'll be dead by the 1850's, 40's for Tripoli.
    Last edited by BillGrant; 29-06-2012 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf the Unsure View Post
    Is this true for all nations? What about a country like the USA, which can be largely self-sufficient once its industry gets going? Wouldn't higher tariffs be appropriate to encourage local buying? (And to replicate the historical situation?)
    It's hard to get to a point where you are truly, totally self-sufficient, even as the USA, and until that point tariffs will just hurt you by making your pops and factories pay more for imports.

As far as encouraging local buying... no, because pops already buy from local sources first.

The only time you should ever raise tariffs is if you desperately need money.

I'd start with Peru or Brazil. They're out of the way of the big powers, have cores to fight over, and are a good "beginner's game". Just don't make the mistake of trying to force industrialization too early, and you'll have a pretty easy game, though getting to GP status is unlikely.

Try to build factories that are supplied with goods you produce. Also, don't subsidize factories, subsidized factories never get any better.

I liked playing South American countries in Victoria1 as I have not had much success with warfare. I recently got Victoria2. I picked Venezuala as it is a democracy and it is easy to comprehend what is going on in a small country. First thing I noticed is that the population is declining. I realised that many POPS were not getting Life needs satisfied and the auto-trade facility was not supplying anything. So I started manually stockpiling basic items according to needs and was pleased to see that soon afterwards the population started increasing. I am now getting a steady flow of immigrants. But beyond this I have not been able to accomplish much. Cant build factories, no capitalists, cant change government, cant enact social reforms. It is not a problem of Prestige; all buttons are simply inactive. By the way, the manual doesn't even list which items are Life needs, which are Everyday and which are Luxury. Any hints on how to progress?

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Art of War

I started my first game as Korea, which was hard to play at first but I learned about pretty much everything in the game in that one game which lasted 8 hours straight >_>

You start off a Satellite of the Chinese Empire, this gives you time to learn how other nations work until you become free, either with a revolt or another nation wishing to free you, I was lucky enough for Belgium wanting to Free me, which was weird. You then gain a lot of money from the research of the Freedom of Trade, I then took over Japan with Britain and the USA's help and I became a Great Power by about 1896.

Up to you if you want to play this way but I understand the game pretty well from that one game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2