• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tommy4ever

Papa Bear
43 Badges
Sep 13, 2008
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Diplomacy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
I Westernised as Poland about 7 or 8 years ago, but I'm still getting these extremely damaging 'resistance to westernisation' events. When do I stop getting them? Every time I have chosen to ignore the demands.

I'm not sure if I can take many more shifts towards decentralisation. :/

How do I do that?

The same way you westernised, it's an event, you need full centralization, and 3 stability, you'll take a 6 stab hit though :S

I had exactly the same problem yesterday. I kept ignoring the demands because I thought it would help me like happens if you're in the Reformation with those events.

In the end I got so annoyed that I just went and save edited it out after getting 2 +2 decentralisation events within a week. It was impossible to do the military decision then for 40 years. I wasn't having that nonsense.

Why?

Don't complain about "extremely damaging" events if you chose for those effects instead of -2 prestige yourself.

I assumed it would give me short term damage and let me finish the process quicker in the longterm.

Actually you may be better off simply agreeing to the first resist westernization event. You get a ten year period where you cannot modernize the military but can recover stability without any westernization related stab hits, centralization hits, revolts etc. When the resist western influences flag wears off you are hopefully in a position to reform the military immediately.

Actually you may be better off simply agreeing to the first resist westernization event. You get a ten year period where you cannot modernize the military but can recover stability without any westernization related stab hits, centralization hits, revolts etc. When the resist western influences flag wears off you are hopefully in a position to reform the military immediately.

This is simply most important thing here to be sad. Resisiting westernization decreases revolt risk by 2, so it is very good thing to do it until you modernize military.

He didn't realise, and nor did I, that they only stop with military modernisation. Nowhere is it stated in the game that this is the ONLY way. In all other event chains such as peasant wars, religious strife etc, the goal is to get to +3 stability and wait for an event to disable the harmful, damaging modifier.

In this case, I didn't want to modernise my military right away since it was 1520 and my Byzantine units were still better than the medieval latin ones for a while. But I had to go and read the wiki and the forums to work out that you need military modernisation to remove the malus. It's not actually said anywhere, and that's because the military decision is a later bolt on.

Now, when you look at military modernisation it says 'Western Influences is removed', but that doesn't mean it couldn't be removed from other means. What the events and the game needs is clarity here!

I know this now, yes...but I didn't then either. So I was holding off because I thought it would force me to change.

I think Eastern is fine, since you can use Ottoman units if you want in captured provinces.