+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Negative Westernisation Events

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Negative Westernisation Events

I Westernised as Poland about 7 or 8 years ago, but I'm still getting these extremely damaging 'resistance to westernisation' events. When do I stop getting them? Every time I have chosen to ignore the demands.

I'm not sure if I can take many more shifts towards decentralisation. :/

Jackals! Vultures! Lord Finnish's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Modernize your army as well.
    Mod:
    Byzantium - Imperial Restoration for Darkest Hour
    Empire of Pohjola for Crusader Kings II
    Wilhelm Scream for Crusader Kings II

AAR:
    The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (CK2) Dead due to save game corruption. Will restart eventually.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy4ever View Post
    How do I do that?
    The same way you westernised, it's an event, you need full centralization, and 3 stability, you'll take a 6 stab hit though :S

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Every time I have chosen to ignore the demands.
    Why?

Don't complain about "extremely damaging" events if you chose for those effects instead of -2 prestige yourself.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I had exactly the same problem yesterday. I kept ignoring the demands because I thought it would help me like happens if you're in the Reformation with those events.

In the end I got so annoyed that I just went and save edited it out after getting 2 +2 decentralisation events within a week. It was impossible to do the military decision then for 40 years. I wasn't having that nonsense.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Junuxx View Post
    Why?

Don't complain about "extremely damaging" events if you chose for those effects instead of -2 prestige yourself.
    I assumed it would give me short term damage and let me finish the process quicker in the longterm.

Actually you may be better off simply agreeing to the first resist westernization event. You get a ten year period where you cannot modernize the military but can recover stability without any westernization related stab hits, centralization hits, revolts etc. When the resist western influences flag wears off you are hopefully in a position to reform the military immediately.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

I assumed it would give me short term damage and let me finish the process quicker in the longterm.
    You need centralization, how could a decentralization hit be a short term damage?
    It's spelled you, not u.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Von Hilficker View Post
    Actually you may be better off simply agreeing to the first resist westernization event. You get a ten year period where you cannot modernize the military but can recover stability without any westernization related stab hits, centralization hits, revolts etc. When the resist western influences flag wears off you are hopefully in a position to reform the military immediately.
    This is simply most important thing here to be sad. Resisiting westernization decreases revolt risk by 2, so it is very good thing to do it until you modernize military.

He didn't realise, and nor did I, that they only stop with military modernisation. Nowhere is it stated in the game that this is the ONLY way. In all other event chains such as peasant wars, religious strife etc, the goal is to get to +3 stability and wait for an event to disable the harmful, damaging modifier.

In this case, I didn't want to modernise my military right away since it was 1520 and my Byzantine units were still better than the medieval latin ones for a while. But I had to go and read the wiki and the forums to work out that you need military modernisation to remove the malus. It's not actually said anywhere, and that's because the military decision is a later bolt on.

Now, when you look at military modernisation it says 'Western Influences is removed', but that doesn't mean it couldn't be removed from other means. What the events and the game needs is clarity here!
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

when you modernise your military, you keep the eastern unit types until you change them individually, so you can have eastern cavalry and latin infantry at the same time.

I know this now, yes...but I didn't then either. So I was holding off because I thought it would force me to change.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

Blog Entries
    ITS SO wrong that the byzz are not in latin..
    Jesus...hmm.. Lover of my soul :-)

Restoration-of-Charlemagne-(MMU)-from-Bergyndy ARR

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III Collection
    Rome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    Noo... Wrong is that the Lats aren't in the Byz. Hellenismos...
    "La republique n'a pas besoin des savants."

its so wrong to call them " the byzz"
    Sorry, I don't have time to talk about our AI atm, but I was not aware of there being an AI in Empire Total War.- Johan

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Pacius Ferox View Post
    Noo... Wrong is that the Lats aren't in the Byz. Hellenismos...
    The Byzantines were incredibly backwards during the game's timespan.
    MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV - Download Now!
    Development Diary | Wiki | Release announcement | Facebook
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except Death MEIOU and Taxes' -Benjamin Franklin
    Death and Taxes - an EUIII DW mod
    'Is this version save game compatible?' -Everyone

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Byzantium should start with ottoman tech group.

I think Eastern is fine, since you can use Ottoman units if you want in captured provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    I think Eastern is fine, since you can use Ottoman units if you want in captured provinces.
    Well, byzzantines used simmiliar units that turkish did - kataphrakts. and they should also start little ahead in tech, so making them ottoman tech group would be good.

+ Reply to Thread