Viriconium - Owned by a friendly King - Must I attack?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSBDavy

Corporal
44 Badges
Jan 2, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
So I am going through happily (aside from cursing the camera every six seconds in battles!!) for the first time this lovely (and frequently frustrating!) game as a Righteous Old Faith adherent. I buy the aid of the old faith brother, gaining a few tough Welshmen. I turn my attention to my future stronghold to see it is owned by a friend. I walk right up to it, seeing as my gracious friend allows me full military access to his lands, to see what will happen- nothing does. I click on it and am warned such an act is a declaration of war.

What now? I am righteous- the idea of abusing my granted military access is certainly not in line with my (character's) morality.

I tried waiting - it's turn 50!!!! - but nothing is happening!

Do I really have to stab the friendly King in the back to continue the story???

Last edited:
Sorry to hitchhike this tread but i am also at this stage of the game and i cant find Viriconium on the map. Can anybody tell me where i can find this stronghold?

Btw. can i skipp the quest of the two brothers when i decide to take london instead of Viriconium?

It is on the west side of the map next to North Wales if I remember correctly.

Guessing you can skip the two brothers no matter which city you take, if you wanted to!

Looks like no one (currently on forums anyhow) knows a way to play old faith without attacking an ally.... I am really surprised that no one asked about this before! Surely I am not the first to find a Righteous Old Faith has to attack a friend to continue the game (am I really the first to think this isn't a righteous knightly act????)!

Incidentally, I did attack just to advance the story, though partly that fact and partly that soon(ish) after you gain 'Camelot' (at least for Viriconium) you are attacked by armies so much stronger than yours it is ridiculous made me quit. :(

So what I will do if I ever play again: Don't take a stronghold until you have conquered most/all other English lands. Always have all your heroes in *one* big army until then so that they have all leveled up a lot. Don't have too many soldiers. Have a ridiculous banked amount of money and food. Take a ridiculous amount of turns before you advance the story. There does not seem to be any reason to be quick in this game (unlike say in Total War where you are in an expansion race) and every reason not to be (ie leveling heroes and gaining provinces).

A tiny bit disappointing, but I suppose it is an 'old' game.

Have fun!

See also this AAR for further hints and tips on play (it does contain loads of spoilers though). He also takes Viriconium so if you still can't find it there's images which show the location. Viriconium is inside a smaller province that borders the top of the map.

I find that having a stronghold makes the game a lot more fun, so don't wait too long with taking one, but indeed make sure you have a solid army first.

I conquered London instead of Viriconium because the ruler of Viriconium was friendly.

Right after I conquered London, Viriconium declared war on me.

I think that is just the way the relationships are set up.

After taking viraconium as an old faith/Tyrant, I can't get the merlin returns quest at the top of book 2 to fire. Any one else having this issue?

Hmm, do you have a check mark on the last quest in Chapter 1? Did you wait until the next Spring or run the time for a little while? I don't remember the lag for me but it wasn't instant either.

Also, Viraconium and it's ruler will be hostile to you after you do the heirs quest, at least if you choose to side with the Savage Prince. Immediately after I bought the troops that King, who also controls the province with Viraconium in it, declared war on me, and there you go, your first stronghold. If you took Viraconium or London or wherever without following the storylines that led you to that particular target, you might have borked your game.

I don't ever side with the Christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.