• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BrawijayaV

Heir of Majapahit
29 Badges
Nov 27, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Intro:
I've long awaited this... I am said to be the descendant of one of the last kings of Majapahit, Brawijaya V. Usually most don't really know much about Majapahit, so here I am... Truth be told, I'm actually much more proud to be part of Majapahit heritage, instead of being Indonesian all on itself. So it's not due to patriotism or nationalism, but more towards a sort of general pride of it. In other words, I don't associate Majapahit as a part of Indonesia, but rather as a (I may say more powerful, perhaps) nation on its own, and would very gladly choose Majapahit over modern Indonesia. In any case:

Settings: Default
No save reverts and cheating, no gameplay mods, but I used this
PROLOGUE

majapahitflagwaving.png

It has been decades from the golden years ruled by King Rajasanagara (Hayam Wuruk) and his advisor and minister Gajah Mada. He ruled a realm that stretched all the way from Malaya to Western Irian (Papua), and led a golden age of prosperity and cultural blossoming. Gajah Mada himself had the brilliant idea to unite Nusantara. But he, the King was a mortal after all, and as such, his death brought devastating civil wars as pretenders attempted to ascend to the throne. As they did, local Sultans and Kings usurped previous Majapahit vassal states, and from this, Majapahit was stripped down to its core territory. In our time, these smaller, separate kingdoms would be exploited by the Europeans (above all the Dutch) as they were enticed to fight each other, while the westerners slyly traded land for weapons. And when the Indonesian peoples found out that they were tricked into capitulating, it was too late. Modern-day Bali can be used as a window to the past, as they were highly influenced, and the culture, religion and Majapahit could equate to the Ottoman Empire as they both controlled resources that would be extremely important later on, but were defeated too early, and would be fragmented into smaller states. For Majapahit, they are spices like pepper, cloves and nutmeg; the Ottoman Empire, it is crude oil, which is highly sought after today.

Attachments

• majapahitflagwaving.png
    majapahitflagwaving.png
    87,2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Chapter One

King Wikramawardhana sits upon his throne, pondering what future actions to take. The once-glorious Empire of Majapahit had been lain waste by years of succession wars, while the arrival of Islam took over its lost lands. Knowing not else what he should directly do, he stands up, and walks into the royal court. As he takes his position, a young man steps in. A newly hired royal advisor has come to advise the King's actions and inform him of the latest events going throughout the kingdom. The King asks, "Greetings there. What shall be the latest action we must do?" The advisor answers, "Expanding the Navy to its past glory would be wise counsel, your Majesty." "I am not to take the risks involved with the upkeep of servicing our ships, so no new ones should be commissioned, but I will keep it in my mental log."
thethroneroom.jpg

King Wikramawardhana seated upon his throne.
For a regrowing economy, the answer was simple: there was always waiting involved with progress, so that was the action taken. King Wikramawardhana had in mind to reclaim Majapahit's lost territory, but not many were skilled in creating settlements out of hostile territory. This applied to all minor kingdoms scattered throughout Nusantara. Research would be needed, but with research came its costs, which the broken Majapahit Kingdom had still to regain its wealth. Some time after, the most skilled merchants gathered at the capital and sailed to the trading centers of Malacca, and Nanking. At the royal palace, the King returned to his throne and pondered once more. He was certain that the military of Majapahit needed reforms, and as so he called to one of his messengers. "Bring this message to the military headquarters," he whispered. The messenger agreed upon so, and headed off outside. Meanwhile, the Military leaders are discussing upon what to do with the curent state of the military, when the messenger arrives. This is what was written: "Our soldiers are weak and undisciplined. Stricter and harsher training methods are required, rule out the weak as needed. This is a direct order from King Wikramawardhana myself. "At barracks throughout the nation, harsher training methods filter the weak and undisciplined, until only the best are left." As a result, some soldiers are dismissed. Beginning the year 1400, citizens of Majapahit celebrate their ruler and nation with a massive celebration which lasted a whole day. The result is a stabler populace who are content with the government's actions.

Meanwhile at the royal palace, King Wikramawardhana has his unmarried cousin and discusses about his marriage. "The time has come for you to find a mate, and I have the perfect match for you. The people of Champa are culturally similar to us, and are therefore our friends. As so, their beautiful princess should be wedded to you," King Wikramawardhana explained. The Prince responded, "I understand it is a royal obligation, and I have nothing against the marriage. But we must see first if they agree also." "I am certain they will agree, does she not seem like she needs a mate?" "One could never be certain, but I am slightly eager for the moment." The following few days, the wedding ceremony in session, and the bride and groom in ceremonial outfit, the Hindu rituals commence and the crowd, comprising of both nations, cheer fervently and celebratorily. In the months past, it has become the year 1401. King Wikramawardhana lay on is throne, pondering upon his next major actions yet again. Suddenly, a man about in his late thirties enters his room, bringing news. "We have heard that the sea dividing Java and Sumatra has been secured, and its routes mapped!" The King replied, "That is good news, what else is there to report?" The man responded, "Not much, your Majesty. I must be heading out now."

As he exits, the King continues to ponder. Rather peculiar... This must have been a newly hired advisor that I haven't met with yet... About that, I have big plans in mind, but I require more Dharmmadhyaksa to make the new reforms and laws official. The bureaucracy must be expanded according to current needs, I guess. Now it is the year 1402, and the King of Majapahit has secured the administrators and money required to finally fortify its provinces and cities. At the construction site, blocks of bricks are arranged into defensive walls, as if it were built as the walls of massive Candis or smaller Pura temples. Dozens of workteams are gathered from the provinces to undertake the project. From current progress, the fort on Surabaya province is expected to be built in 1 year. Days, months later, a band of Majapahit aristocrats bring a carriage filled with gold, as a thank you to the King's generous rule. Months go by, and as such the King of Majapahit grows ever-ambitious. He plans a meeting with the high commanders of the Majapahit military, and proclaims, "We should prepare for a possible war with the Melakan Sultanate."
majapahitwarrior1408.jpg

A Majapahit soldier from the early 13th century
Commission enough transport ships to carry our troops, perhaps 2 would be fine." Sure enough his orders were followed at an instant, with two transport ships constructed in the provinces throughout the Majapahit realm. All around, shipyards were busy constructing ships, but not only for government ordered ships. The people of Majapahit, and indeed, all the people in the East Indies had a seafaring culture, obvious from the surrounding terrain. By the following months the armies of Majapahit had mobilized, prepared for war. The state of Ayutthaya had taken Melakan territories up to the north, thus rendering them weak. This was the perfect opportunity to strike, and as so King Wikramawardhana took this opportunity to expand. A ship loaded with an envoy headed off for the port of Malacca to send news. Meanwhile in Surabaya, a large gathering of citizens stood, facing the King of Majapahit. He delivers his speech, "Good people of Majapahit! We are prepared to reunite ourselves with lost teritorries, no matter the cost! We are now in a state of war, and we will be victorious!" At Malacca, the emissary brings on the declaration of war as well. "Surrender your nation, we are at war!" 2 days after the incident, Sultan Parameswara sent his own emmisarries to the nearby sultanates of Aceh and Brunei. Not long thereafter they joined in the fray, and would have been a serious hindrance to military operations in what could have been a swift war. Still, Wikramawardhana believed that their intervention was actually beneficial to Majapahit, as it could conquer those lands without much problems, and he was confident of it.

The first moves of the Majapahit military was to strike on the Malayan peninsula. While the other Sultans were mobilizing their own armies, Majapahit striked quickly and soon landed on Malaccan shores. It was not without retaliation though, but the 1000-strong Malaccan defenders were quickly crushed by the invading force. Soon the armies of Majapahit spread east, and with only 2 provinces (the others were taken by the ever-expanding Ayutthayan threat, who have taken Aceh lands, much to the Majapahit King's dismay), Melaka stood no chance. While the armies of Majapahit were besieging Malaccan lands, a small naval conflict happened south of the Andaman Sea. The heavily outnumbered Aceh fleet patrolling the region was crushed by the entire Majapahit Armada. Meanwhile in the Malayan peninsula, the sieges of the cities of Malacca and Johore (alongside with Tumasik Island south of the area) were nearing an end, with Majapahit being victorious. On the Sixth of March, 1408, Malaccan officials signed a peace treaty with Majapahit, a treaty of annexation. Majapahit took a step closer to its former glory, and indeed, Gajah Mada's vision, but it was far from over. Majapahit was still at war with the remaining 2 Sultanates of Aceh Darussalam and Brunei Darussalam, and many of the scattered minor Kingdoms still lay unconquered, among them the rival Kingdom of Pajajaran to the west which never came into Majapahit rule. Sometime in the month of August, envoys of neigboring territories came together in the Majapahit capital of Majapahit City (current-day Trowulan) for a peaceful discussion. During the talk, the envoy from the Kingdom of Ayutthaya made a remark that criticized Majapahit actions in a somewhat insulting way. But this was forgiven, adding the trust of Majapahit's neighbors.

Just days later, a battle raged outside the capital. Swords clashed between Majapahit and Aceh forces as they moved in. Meanwhile inside the royal palace, King Wikramawardhana consults his treasurer, as Majapahit's economic future looks almost bleak. He states, "We are slowly turning into a nation built on others' money, and that is unacceptable!" The Treasurer calmly replies, "Our economy is still salvageable. All we need is to ride out the storm. In the meanwhile, focus on military matters, your Majesty." Back on the battlegrounds, Majapahit forces proved successful in Surabaya, with Aceh forces in retreat, and plans are being made on what to do next. Both sides are weakened, obviously Aceh forces moreso, but their Brunei allies have much stronger forces in reserve, and a Majapahit counterattack would be futile. So Majapahit military leaders focus elsewhere... such as the invasion force headed for the occupied island of Riau. That did, though, cancel a rear attack on the islands of Bali and Lombok. The invading fleet was defeated, and as so the Majapahit fleet returned to its original post, guarding the Bali sea against any foreign invaders. The plan was to recapture Bali and Lombok through a coastal landing, while troops west of the Muslim forces block off their path, encircling them. In the month of November, Aceh forces mobilize and move west to the province of Mataram. Majapahit responded by sending forces south from the capital to deal with the problem. In the royal palace, King Wikramawardhana yet again summons his Treasurer to deal with the current economic crisis. He exclaims,"As you have known, I have been informed by my informants that the economic situation looks bleak. Our expenses leech off our income, and we still have unpaid loans. What is your take on the situation?" The Treasurer answers, "Well, our resources are being used to fund research, that of which we may not need now in such times of crisis. We can cut down on research funding and mint more currency. It is on your behalf, your Majesty." King Wikramawardhana responds, "And that shall be a decision we take. Even if inflation will rise, we must take that step, as we also need to fund our soldiers in our active war."
battleofsurabaya.jpg

The First Battle of Surabaya
At the battlefields, Aceh forces retreat yet again from Mataram to regroup, while in the Java Sea of May, 1409, a sea battle rages, testing both powers' seafaring skill. In the month of September, battles rage on throughout Nusantara. Majapahit forces besiege the Brunei capital as they do the same. A naval battle occurs in the Java Sea, and eastern Majapahit territories are in Aceh hands. Financially, Majapahit is recuperating, and is even generating surplus funds. However, the Majapahit populace are starting to question the war, as it has become prolonged. In the month of December, the dreaded 7000-strong Brunei invasion force had mobilized and moved west, to the Majapahit capital. Local Majapahit forces not strong enough, they relocated south, and their leaders set up the next plans. While Aceh was still weakened by a two-way war between Majapahit and the Kingdom of Ayutthaya, Majapahit seized the opportunity before the Aceh Sultan would decline, and as so, in the 3rd of December, 1409, the Kingdom of Majapahit signed a truce with the Sultanate of Aceh Darussalam.

With Aceh out of the way, Majapahit focused entirely on the forces of Brunei Darussalam. Defeating the besieging Brunei army in northeast Java became priority target, with even the population demanding it should be dealt with. The government's reaction was to raise more soldiers throughout Java, originally temporary, but became assimilated to the main military. In the island of Kalimantan (Borneo), the Majapahit forces rally up in the Brunei capital to stage the next attacks. The western provinces of Brunei are fortified, but also occupied by Majapahit forces, while eastern provinces lay undefended. The plan was to capture the undefended provinces east while moving up to the defending Brunei forces. The Brunei force attacking Majapahit City is defeated, and the excess troops are relocated towards the Brunei heartland. The southern beaches were a good place to land, as they were unfortified from attack. As the next year passes on, Majapahit shifts from the current war into other affairs. Such as, for instance, attempting to wed royal family members with other nations (in which, all attempts would fail). As the days passed through, the Majapahit sun banner hung throughout the Sultanate of Brunei Darusallam, and on February 18, 1412, Majapahit completely and totally conquered the island. Its Sultan was put in exile, never heard by the Majapahit people again. By this time Mapahit controlled southern Melaka, the island of Tumasik, the entire island of Kalimantan, and the core Javanese territory. Majapahit took a step closer to achieving former Prime Minister Gajah Mada's dream, but still much was to be done. But for now, the people of Majapahit rejoice at their victory.

The bitter Maja fruit, only to be sweetened by sugar, red, the red of blood spilled by heroes who fight valiantly for their people. Conquered shall be the islands, our flag waves by the wind, and the glory seen. His, the great
Gajah Mada, dreamt of the Sun's rays gleaming upon the entire Nusantara. The dream fulfills itself, slowly and slowly, but is only fed by the will and strength of its own people, and the burning passion of it. One day this truly happens, but not only, as it shall live forever.

Last edited:
Wow... nearly two months... I'm sorry everyone, there were a lot of complications including but not limited to:
-Power outage
-Going to L.A. for the Indonesian Diaspora expo
-Abysmal internet
-And most of all general laziness (Gained "Sloth" trait)

If anyone wants any footnotes/explanations to the terms used, you are welcome to ask here. Whew, glad that was over for now, I'm taking a break!

Spoilers are well drawn. Is their any chance of one or two screenshots.
Sounds like lots of fun.:D
Keep it coming!!

Is their any chance of one or two screenshots.

I'll put a map once I reach a milestone, but just for you, I'll show the current situation:
eu3mapmaj14122191.jpg

My original plan was to omit a screenshot so you would have to imagine what the world was like, while the illustrations helped to do just that. I'm probably not going to show another, at the very least anytime soon. (The reason I'm showing this is because I don't want to disappoint you, or anyone else for that matter.)

Well thanks:blush:
Sorry but I just annexed majapahit in my current game.
As their is only 3 countries left, They made it almost to the end.

Current game IN France 1590 countries left.
Wu-14p
Ming-5p
Japan-2p
Plan on 1 more IN game.
Then HttT-MEIOU.
Then DW- will probably not like due to infamy nasty events.
Go for WC in every game I play.:ninja:

Well, whatever it is, then next installment will be (hopefully) adequately spaced. Not too very long, though I would like to post it once I get maybe at least a 1000 views, or I could post it early. My economy is in ruins, and so is the "narrative" element, possibly.