+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to befriend Austria as Germany?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

How to befriend Austria as Germany?

I've started my game as Prussia and to create Germany I've been at war with Austria about ten years ago with the Hegemony Casus Belli. I've united all German countries and my relations with Austria are at 200 but I still have the Hegemony Casus Belli against them and the chances to form an alliance with them are "impossible". Is there a way I can get the historic correct alliance of the central powers?

You could've just destroyed them in one of your wars, kept them occupied, dropped them from GP status and then annexed them when you formed Germany. No need to make friends with your subjects, problem solved

Get them off the GP list and puppet them. Free Croatia or Lombardia and Venetia if necessary, that should stop them from going past #9 if you take all their prestige too

Quote Originally Posted by [MM] View Post
    I've started my game as Prussia and to create Germany I've been at war with Austria about ten years ago with the Hegemony Casus Belli. I've united all German countries and my relations with Austria are at 200 but I still have the Hegemony Casus Belli against them and the chances to form an alliance with them are "impossible". Is there a way I can get the historic correct alliance of the central powers?
    Kick them off of Great Power status, then sphere and ally them.

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

I don't think that the problem is that they are a Great Power. I'm allied with Britain and they are #1.
    If I add them to my sphere they wouldn't have any other choice than to become my ally but is there no other way?

Even if you crush them and keep them occupied until they drop out of gp status, then sphere them, they'll just become #8 GP again and dissolve your alliance. If you *really* want to have them as allies, you can still do this, but take bohemia, moravia and maybe another one of their more populous state so that they can never make a comeback. Then again, if you do this, you might as well just annex them because their provinces are extremely good and rich...

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I guess you can write an event/decision which removes the "Assert Hegemony" CB

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Countries are unlikely to form alliances with countries that they have CBs against, but it's not impossible.

But GPs are also picky about their alliances in general. GPs won't generally ally with more than two other GPs. And they won't ally with YOU if you have two GP allies.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Master View Post
    Countries are unlikely to form alliances with countries that they have CBs against, but it's not impossible.

But GPs are also picky about their alliances in general. GPs won't generally ally with more than two other GPs. And they won't ally with YOU if you have two GP allies.
    So this is why GP USA and Mexico always ask me for alliances but never answer the call?

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    So this is why GP USA and Mexico always ask me for alliances but never answer the call?
    Nah, that's probably because they're fighting a war with some random unciv and even though they're not even sending troops there to actually conquer the damn thing, they're way too busy to help you out. Also, it's about military score as well. Everybody's so bloody scared of the uk and it's huge military score, even though they can't actually invade anyone ever. They just use their mil. score to steal the warleader spot and trick you out actually completing *your* wargoals.

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations

Quote Originally Posted by calvinhobbeslik View Post
    Because the AI evaluates a call to arms for a war differently than an offer of alliance.

The AI understands that an alliance looks fearsome on paper; it will be inclined to ally. But it is also scared of military score and pointless offensive wars, making it less likely to honor alliances. It is also quirky. There are times I want my allies to exercise their pre-existing CBs (cores and hegemony) and they never do. Other times, they join a war and add absurd war goals that I won't ever allow them to have. (My favorite was the USA's demands for Provence in the Great War... sheesh.)
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

I played once as Greater Germany and I didn't like it... Austria (or Austria-Hungary) isn't really a good ally either.

I think the best way is:

1. free Poland in East and West Galicia (thus including them in your SoI), Serbia in Slavonia and Moldavia in Moldavia;
    2. form Greater Germany;
    3. Release Italian states, Slovenia, Croatia, Czechoslovakia and Hungary as puppets and then include them in your SoI.

This way you'll have all german lands united in one country, but without non-german lands, with massive SoI to invest in infrastructure. Keep an eye on Redshirts thou, because if they form Italy, they'll want your South Tirol (which you can't release). If Italy forms early, before you form Germany, you can free South Tirol, thus making them potential ally.

If I am going to go through the trouble of forming Greater Germany (and it can be a hassle when Russia just doesn't want to cooperate), I want it all, from sea to shining sea (although in this case, the seas are the Baltic and the Med...).

One of the things I don't like about liberating Poland as Prussia/Germany, Austria, or Russia is that Poland has cores on you, making them less inclined to ally, even if they are in your SOI. Yeah, I can protect them, but they won't pull their international weight in any Great Wars I intend to fight. I also hate liberating Italian minors because it never fails that I miss one lousy Redshirt revolt and viola! My SOI loses a few members. I can't even garrison all the capitals half the time because there's always one minor who won't give me military access because they are BFFs with France.

I kind of agree that Austria sucks as an ally if I am Prussia/Germany, but that's partially because they can't help that much against France. And since my Prussia/Germany games revolve around keeping Russia and France from sealing the "Alliance of Kicking Prussia/German buttocks" against me, I usually don't need Austria to balance Russia out. It ends up being more profitable to form Greater Germany or to just annex Bohemia and some other states from Austria than keeping her as a buddy.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Well, yeah... but the thing is there are positive and negative sides. When I played such a big country as Germany+Austria+Poland+North Italy+many colonies, I end up with huge unemployment (many states, many factories, overproducing every good in the world), low literacy and constant rebellions, which never happen during peace, but as soon as big war started they pop up everywhere.

Victoria is not designed to conquer the world. It's about primary and accepted cultures in Europe and assimilation in America.

Btw, right now I'm playing PDM (or APD = PDM for AHD) and it's just so much better... It solves so many issues with vanilla V2/AHD, including Great Germany formation. You just can't include Austria unless they have only Austria, Bohemia-Moravia and Slovenia.

I seriously advise to play AHD with APD.

+ Reply to Thread