• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zorto

Corporal
25 Badges
Apr 30, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Federations
Let me start by saying that i absolutely LOVE this game.

That being said, I think the whole political aspect (as well as the ecnomical aspect) are marked by far more stability than they should. Let me detail :

- Colonies never declare independance ! By 1936, most of the time, the British Empire stays the same as a hundred years before, whereas Australia, Canada and India should at least be independent.
- France can stay under HM's Government for the whole game : most of you probably know that it was under a democracy from 1848 to 1952, than a sort of HM's Government until 1870 when it went back to a democracy : three revolutions in 22 years. This reflects the constitutional monarchy being too strong ingame, the population weren't at ease with that form of government most of the time.
- No possibility of coinage act, therefore no Long Depression around the 1870s. Nothing leading to the 1929 crisis neither, therefore no unemployment, social troubles etc, leading factors to the apparition of dictatorships.

The political aspect of the game is absolutely brilliant, but waaaay too straightforward. It always goes the same, doesn't matter the country. I haven't read the whole forums so I don't know if this idea has been debated before, or what paradox's stance is, but I think it should be considered for the better of this grandiose game.

Again, long live paradox. You guys rock.

nothing wrong with colonies, australia, canada were given dominion status by the uk they didnt fight for independence. india didnt gain independence till after ww2. and the only colonies that gained independence in this era where cuba wich i see gain idependece a fair bit, and the phillipines both of wich gained independence as a result of ameican intervention.

I agree that it is too much stability in colonies. But with the current system it would be pretty hard say for example Canada or India breaking away from GB seing as there are doomstacks in both places at all times. But let's take Spain for example, most games i play these days end up with Cuba being independent but i think this is mostly due to the AI not managing to recapture islands from rebels for some reason. Next patch could maybe try to balance this more so that it would differ more between games.

Edit: I don't think its his historical viewpoint he is adressing. At least i wasn't with my post, i just want more variation from game to game, it being historically correct or not i basically don't care about at all.

the computer is usless at trasporting troop, i fought the uk as 2 sicilys and theyd only drop like 30 thousand troops a year and theyd only lightly blockade me which meant if the droped units in tunis i could quickly break the blockade and drop them of in tunis.

Maybe Canada and Australia didn't fight for their statuses, but they wished and obtained them ! That is something that the UK would never grant ingame. Furthermore, Ireland does not seem to want its independance as bad as they did in real life...

Back to my original post : global economiy crisis is really missing...

I'm surprised that you have AHD given you're pining for business cycles. By late-game, depressions and crises of overproduction are common.

Well, it's not a real "financial" crisis, and is caused by a somewhat irrealistic phenomenon (I think so at least, I'm not that good with economics)...

There's Great Depression events, they just rarely fire. The major problem is, there's not any particularly good script hooks for measuring the economy, and so receiving a 'Great Depression' event when you're in the middle of the strongest economic boom the game has ever seen is painfully possible.

Lack of colonial independence is annoying, but there's really no advantage in releasing dominions - players only ever do it when they're roleplaying. That could do with addressing, as could the whole dominion/vassal/substates thing. I'm more worried about the fact that colonies are really poorly represented full stop - I don't think they should receive tech bonuses, as it's just silly for Britain to invent electricity and immediately pipe it into every home in the Indian subcontinent. This may also help somewhat with the overproduction and unemployment problems in the late-game, and would also make colonies a fair bit more rebellious.

I'm more worried about the fact that colonies are really poorly represented full stop - I don't think they should receive tech bonuses, as it's just silly for Britain to invent electricity and immediately pipe it into every home in the Indian subcontinent. This may also help somewhat with the overproduction and unemployment problems in the late-game, and would also make colonies a fair bit more rebellious.

Well said.

I plea for more stability from internal unrest, and for those armed revolutions to take less time (when 20% of pops are in occupied provinces and the capital is in an occupied province as well). That and more frequent independence movements.

Maybe there should be a more involving colonial policy system. Say you want to get most of your colonies you'd have different choices how to go about it, getting productivity boosts and such. However the more you take advantage of your colonies the more you risk high militancy occurrences or even international scandals if you have gone for extreme exploitation. You could also play things safe but get less in return.

Maybe there should be a more involving colonial policy system. Say you want to get most of your colonies you'd have different choices how to go about it, getting productivity boosts and such. However the more you take advantage of your colonies the more you risk high militancy occurrences or even international scandals if you have gone for extreme exploitation. You could also play things safe but get less in return.

This !

Really like this idea. There should be at least two options, how much you exploit or not and also how you treat the people living in the colonies.
By treatment I mean if you try to make the pople the same as your culture, or if you just don't care about educating them as long as you get your "gold/silver/rubber" etc.
As far as I remember this differed in between the GPs that colonies in Africa. France wanted to turn the people into French people. The British had a middle-ground thing and the Belgians, well.. they did not really care about the people. etc.
Such good treatment(as in more education etc) should be reflected in maybe lower productivity at first(educated people are harder to exploit), but then a higher administrative efficiency and literacy later. This should also make it able to turn the colonies to states after a while. While bad treatment such as in Kongo would give you a higher income from the RGOs, but a lower literacy, administrative efficiency etc.