• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you change your religion, neither your capital nor the rest of the country will change too. However the chances that "Spread of Protestantism/the Reformation" will proc are higher and you get some events which give you quite hard negative modifier (+RR and so on) but better missionary chance.

If you change your religion, neither your capital nor the rest of the country will change too. However the chances that "Spread of Protestantism/the Reformation" will proc are higher and you get some events which give you quite hard negative modifier (+RR and so on) but better missionary chance.

So this means that I will have to do most of the converting job on my own? Province by province?

So this means that I will have to do most of the converting job on my own? Province by province?
Yep. So if you were planning on going all innovative, you might want to wait out on that.

Although France and England went through a lot of trouble during the reformation, I don't recall Scandinavia being really affected that much by it all. Converting to protestantism as Sweden is quite bothersome, as far as I'm concerned, but it just never seemed like that in real life, or am I wrong here?

Yep. So if you were planning on going all innovative, you might want to wait out on that.

Although France and England went through a lot of trouble during the reformation, I don't recall Scandinavia being really affected that much by it all. Converting to protestantism as Sweden is quite bothersome, as far as I'm concerned, but it just never seemed like that in real life, or am I wrong here?

In dk there was a civilwar about it.. had not had one since then

Then why in the world would a blob-nation want to change its religion? I mean it's worth for small nations, with few provinces, but if you have like 30 provinces, I don't think it's profitable to change your state religion for a bonus of +10% of anything, considering that you get a penalty in all your provinces and you have to convert them all on your own.

Then why in the world would a blob-nation want to change its religion? I mean it's worth for small nations, with few provinces, but if you have like 30 provinces, I don't think it's profitable to change your state religion for a bonus of +10% of anything, considering that you get a penalty in all your provinces and you have to convert them all on your own.

Converting provinces isn't all that hard to do if you plan for it and take appropriate decisions and/or NIs and such. Also, the religion change events heavily favor you if you have changed your state religion as well so many provinces will flip for free.

In my experience, converting to Protestantism as a German or Scandinavian nation is pretty easy if you do it right at the dawn of the Reformation. Most of your provinces will convert automatically. Of course, it's even better if you arrange to be the starting country for the Reformation. (In my first HTTT game, I was the TO and I submitted to Hussite rebels in 1494. Cue split from Rome and Unam Sanctam across Germany.)

I've never seen a reason to convert to Reformed, though. By the time it fires, my colonial empires are always big enough that staying Catholic is better, and non-colonizers should stick with Catholic or Protestant depending on strategy.

In my experience, converting to Protestantism as a German or Scandinavian nation is pretty easy if you do it right at the dawn of the Reformation. Most of your provinces will convert automatically. Of course, it's even better if you arrange to be the starting country for the Reformation. (In my first HTTT game, I was the TO and I submitted to Hussite rebels in 1494. Cue split from Rome and Unam Sanctam across Germany.)

I've never seen a reason to convert to Reformed, though. By the time it fires, my colonial empires are always big enough that staying Catholic is better, and non-colonizers should stick with Catholic or Protestant depending on strategy.

Well, the boost in trade efficency could be nice for a small free trade country.

Well, yeah. I've never played a country that stayed small from 1399 to 1821, though.

Also useful for things like Poland into Space as every last ducat can count. It depends a lot on what you want to do in your game as to whether you should be trying to change religion or not. In most of my games I play the simple house rule that if the capital flips then I change just as an added challenge as for many Catholic nations there isn't a whole lot of challenge left after 1600 unless you are trying for a WC or to survive as an OPM or something similar.