• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You inspired me to start a Jerusalem game tomorrow. What year did you start with?

Does anyone else picture the hospitalers literally tearing the limbs off the musilums and going cannibal on them, or is it just me.

I sort of think they are vampires 0.0

That's sort of close to how I imagine them. Lots of singing and laughing and joking as they go about their slaughtering of infidels.

You inspired me to start a Jerusalem game tomorrow. What year did you start with?

I wish you luck and hope you have fun. The Kingdom of Jerusalem was founded in July of 1099.

God's Kingdom Part 14 - Prince Orson Edition

For years I tried to get a claim on Edessa. I sent several chancellors but none ever had success. My wonderful son Orson managed to accomplish find all the documents and reasons we needed in just over a year. Orson had more motivation than the others though. He shared in my desire to reclaim de Boulogne lands.
ck2322dec06.jpg

Since he proved himself so skilled in Edessa I asked Orson to go to Damascus and cause some issues for Duqaq. The Sultan had been languishing in my dungeon for years and I thought that with a little prompting I could create some massive unrest in Syria. The destabilization of Syria would have given me more opportunities to free more lands of Muslims. Intead my son was captured and even worse, he was imprisoned! I feared for his safety. My loathing of the infidels was known by all and what better way to pay back Jerusalem for all the defeats we have caused Syria than by executing my child?
ck2323jun07.jpg

Thankfully the Muslims were in need of gold and for what I considered a bargain I was able to buy Orson's freedom. Upon returning to Jerusalem I let him enjoy the comfort of my castle for the short time he had to wait before his betrothed, the Duchess of Achaia turned 16 and came of age and he left my court for hers.
ck2324jun07.jpg

Life would have been so much more boring without the leaders of Galilee. I can't say I was shocked that Gilbert was plotting against my rule. It's what the rulers of Galilee do. I was upset greatly that he refused to end his plot when I confronted him about it. I considered sending my guards to arrest him but I didn't feel like fighting against a rebellion if my guards failed. There was other ways of dealing with unruly vassals.
ck2326mar08.jpg

All I had to do was find one co-conspirator to help me with my plan which proved relatively easy. With someone to aid me in my plot it was a simple matter of ordering it executed. Once Gilbert II was out of the way Galilee was ruled by a child. I hoped that he would grow to be a bit more cooperative.
ck2329apr08.jpg

ck2330apr08.jpg

While dealing with Gilbert I also had to oversee the wedding of Orson to Duchess Anthe. It was a quick ceremony as Orson was ready to be away to Byzantine and his new life. Anthe was in a hurry as well as she had plans. She wasted no time after the wedding in calling on her new ally, Jerusalem, to aid her in war. I proclaimed it my wedding present to the newlyweds. I also didn't mind helping because Anthe was waging war against infidels. I only committed a small army to the war but I was in the middle of my own war in Egypt.
ck2327mar08.jpg

It had been years since I was wounded during the Battle of Saramsah and my injury had lingered. The pain remained and I was never sure if I would ever recover. Perhaps I would have healed faster if I had taken it easy but I could not take the time. I could not show weakness to my own men nor the Muslims around me. Finally, with time and patience and lots of gold on the best healers I could convince to come to Jerusalem I finally healed. In place of the pain I got a scar. A great trade! I was pain-free and had something to show the ladies of court when I returned.
ck2332jul08.jpg

After two years of boring sieges and not much else Cairo was mine. Because of the ongoing civil war and the losses from the previous war the Shia were not able to muster up much of an opposition to me. I was happy for such an easy victory but the Grandmaster of the Hospitallers was highly upset. I had promised him infidels to slay and instead all he got to do was sit outside castles for two years and shout insults. I placated him by promising a new chance to use his sword in the near future.
ck2333jul08.jpg

Soon after the Shia were defeated word came from Orson that they had won their holy war for some islands in the Aegean. I was thanked for my assistance by Duchess Anthe and invited to come visit at some point. I thought going to see if the rumors were true about the beauty of Greek women was a great idea. Unfortunately my queen found out about my plans and quickly I was looking for a new place to invade. I needed to get out of the castle for a little while.
ck2334nov08.jpg

God's Kingdom Part 15 - Family Claims

It took a bit but I finally convinced my wife that I had no interest in Greek women. I even publicly proclaimed Greek women to be far inferior to the beauty of all Frankish women. Duke Eumathios took great offense to this as a Greek himself. He had a soft spot for his mother it turned out. I tried to apologize but the damage had already been done. I knew I had made an enemy and I really didn't want one of those. I was enjoying the fact that all my other vassals were in high opinion of me.
ck2336dec08.jpg

Getting rid of Duke Gilbert proved easy so I figured I'd have another go at the whole murder thing. Eumathios wasn't all that loved a person so it wasn't hard to gather some supporters to get rid of him. I found it far easier to run a kingdom when all the dukes and duchesses were children. The only problem was they got cranky if they missed their naps.
ck2337dec08.jpg

Sometimes you do things that you look back on later and ask yourself what you were thinking. That's the only way I could think of what happened that night. Of course I blamed it on assassins and made up an elaborate story about how we fought them off but in their escape they light us on fire. My companions were just as embarrassed as I was about the whole thing and went along with the story. The rumors of my fondness for murder went a long way to help keep everyone quiet.
ck2339sep09.jpg

With control of the Sinai, Damettia, and Cairo I controlled over 50% of Egypt. My legal advisers told me that would be enough to usurp the kingdom from the Caliph of the Shia. Unfortunately I had to be patient because he was still trying to finish off the civil war that had been going on for years. Finally in 1210 the infidels came to some sort of arrangement that ended their war and gave me my third crown. "All hail Amaury I, King of Jerusalem, Cyprus, and Egypt!"
ck2340nov10.jpg

I figured the best way to celebrate my new kingdom was to reclaim my family's lands. Jerusalem had been at peace too long anyway and the Hospitallers were getting restless. They kept reminding me of the promise I made to go kill Muslims. The Grandmaster could nag worse than my wife.
ck2342may11.jpg

Edessa's army was quickly swept aside by my forces. I let the Hospitallers loose after the initial battles to chase down the survivors and rid the world of them. They were better suited for that. They have a fanatical passion for killing Muslims to worried me at times. Once their army was so easily defeated and their castles came under siege the bey called for help and several Muslim lords came to his aid. Rum to the north was the largest of those to answer the call to arms but even their combined power wouldn't have been enough to stop my liberation.
ck2344jan12.jpg

While I leave my armies to do the besieging I let the Hospitallers go chase down what little resistance the Muslims come up with. For some reason they kept coming back to Al-Bichri. First one army...
ck2347aug12.jpg

4 months later...
ck2349dec12.jpg

Schlacht_von_Arsuf.jpg

The Knights Hospitaller Doing What They Do Best

Yet again God trumped Allah. I proved that Jerusalem was the strongest kingdom in the Middle East. With the strength of God behind us we could not be stopped and we could not be defeated. Not only had I taken the county of Edessa but I had taken the ducal title as well.
ck2350feb13.jpg

With the Beylerbey of Edessa beaten I moved on to removing the titles from the rest of the infidels who were inside Edessa. Once, a century ago, Edessa was a Crusader duchy. I would again make it a duchy of God.
ck2351feb13.jpg

God's Kingdom Part 16 - King vs. Pope

Over the years I became a bit disillusioned with the Church. While the Pope talked about how he was His representative on Earth I was the one out doing God's work. I was converting lands to the True Faith and killing those who would do Christians harm. The Kingdom of Jerusalem was His kingdom and I believed that I was better able to decide all aspects including the religious ones inside my kingdom. I figured if I was making a wrong choice He would let me know.
ck2352sep14.jpg

I was confused when a messenger arrived from Achaia asking to join in a war over the Aegean islands. I was pretty sure I'd already done that once. Somehow Anthe and Orson lost control of them. Since I still secretly wanted to see these beautiful Greek women for myself I figured this would be a great excuse to go. My wife couldn't fault me for going to aid her son in war.
ck2353jul16.jpg

I decided to bring my son Philippe and the (very loyal and friendly) Duke of Galilee to lead the flanks of my army. We easily beat the doux's army and settled in for a long siege. And while on the islands I did indeed see many beautiful Greek women. I was a bit saddened when the sieges were concluded and we returned to Jerusalem. It was good to be going home to my wife but I would long remember the exotic beauty of Greek women.
ck2354sep16.jpg

With my sight-seeing trip concluded I decided to act on liberating more of the lands in my Kingdom of Egypt. The Caliph who ruled was new to the throne and untested. I felt it was time to show him the might of his Christian neighbor. I penned a declaration informing him that Alexandria should be Christian lands and soon would be.
ck2357feb21.jpg

Not wanting to waste time I called upon the navy to ferry my men to battle. With an army 24,000 strong they landed on the beaches of Alexandria and quickly defeated the infidels defending the city.
ck2358apr21.jpg

706px-PriseDeConstantinople1204PalmaLeJeune.JPG

While my main army was clearing away the Muslims in Alexandria a second army lead by the Grandmaster of the Hospitallers was down south to intercept the Caliph's forces moving from his southern holdings. I charged him with keeping my first army free from harassment so that they could quickly besiege the counties in Alexandria unmolested.
ck2361jul21.jpg

As the Grandmaster took the field of battle he was shocked to see the Caliph himself leading the Muslim soldiers. No Hospitaller had ever killed an infidel as highly titled as a Caliph. Declaring that the man who slays the Caliph would surely find himself in God's favor the Grandmaster ordered an all out charge that shook the ground and put fear into the Muslims.
ck2362aug21.jpg

The Muslims could not face the fury of the Hospitaller lead army and routed from Aswan to the county of Gizeh. The battle in Gizeh was one of the most hard fought of my life. Men on both sides died by the thousands. Painful pleas to God and to Allah could be heard accompanying the clash of steel on steel. In the end the forces of Christ proved mightier and the infidels were sent fleeing into the desert.
800px-Battle_of_Higueruela.jpp

ck2367dec21.jpg

Caliph Mukhtar's broken body was found after the battle was over. From the multiple injuries and amount of damage done it was obvious that it was a Hospitaller that had killed the Shia ruler. Since no man came forward boasting that he was the one to kill the Caliph it was assumed that the Christian knight was in Heaven being rewarded for ridding the world of Mukhtar.
ck2368apr22.jpg

Word spread that the army of Jerusalem had killed the Shia Caliph. Already the Pope was feeling threatened by my rise in stature and fame and the legend of Jerusalem herself. The Christian kingdom surviving and thriving in the midst of the Muslim hordes. In an attempt to lessen my fame the Pope called for a Crusade. He wanted the Western nobles focus on his Crusade and pay no attention to my personal holy war.
ck2365nov21.jpg

As I sat in camp one quiet night I found myself reflecting on how far things have come in the 37 years I have ruled. Unlike Mukhtar I had survived countless battles. I had four children that survived into adulthood and had children of their own. Jerusalem had continued to thrive under my guidance and had a promising future in front of it. I decided that if tomorrow I were to die, I would have considered it a good life. But after that morbid thought I said an extra prayer to God asking to give me many more years to do more of His work.
ck2369may22.jpg

After capturing Edessa and removing all the ruling Muslims I turned the duchy over to a distant relative, Ebbon. Not only did he get to become a duke but with the departure of Orson to his wife's Greek court, Ebbon was promoted to be my chancellor as well. When he informed me that he'd gotten a claim on the county of Teluch I knew that I hadn't misplaced my faith one bit.
ck2370aug22.jpg

With their armies smashed, their ruler dead, and their counties besieged the Shia finally had enough. Yet again a boy Caliph was surrendering to me. The Shia Caliphate had been greatly reduced by me over the years and I planned on returning to take more of their lands after my men have rested some and Teluch has been captured.
ck2371aug22.jpg

The damned thing about plans is that they never happen the way you want them to. All my plans were dashed when word arrived from Rome that I had been ex-communicated on the recommendation of the Queen of Trinacria. I'd never even heard of the woman before that moment! Apparently she was bitter that I had a vacation home in Malta and instead of trying to diplomatically resolve things she played off mine and the Pope's rivalry. I realized that being ex-communicated could be a very, very bad thing.
ck2373mar25.jpg

The King of Jerusalem... excommunicated? I'm pretty sure that makes no sense realistically or in abstract computer game terms. Maybe there should be a condition for excommunication where the target can't neighbor heathens or at least can't have warred against them in the past ten years.

Excommunicated! Jerusalem! The King of! I can't believe it...:blink:

Excommunicated? I don't believe it. Time to employ some assassins, join the silly Pope's crusade against Mauritania and appeal to his better nature. Then fabricate some claims against Trinacria and Rome. The Grandmaster of the Hospitallers would make a good Anti-Pope and then Pope.

Amaury's method of ruling over child Dukes is a most effective technique.

Or maybe it's time to pay the Holy Father a visit with your Holy Warriors, just to show him how wrong he is to excommunicate you.....

Just make sure he's not wintering in Canossa - bad things happen there to Emperors & Kings when the Pope is there... :)

Really good stuff you got here. I have a question though, from what I gathered, the Hospitalliers appear to be your vassals, how did you manage that?

Wherever they are created they become vassals and are given a title of land

The King of Jerusalem... excommunicated? I'm pretty sure that makes no sense realistically or in abstract computer game terms. Maybe there should be a condition for excommunication where the target can't neighbor heathens or at least can't have warred against them in the past ten years.

Excommunicated! Jerusalem! The King of! I can't believe it...:blink:

Well I did opt for Free Investiture which annoys Popes. The way I see it, it's just a big power-play and pissing match between the Pope and King of Jerusalem. ;)

Excommunicated? I don't believe it. Time to employ some assassins, join the silly Pope's crusade against Mauritania and appeal to his better nature. Then fabricate some claims against Trinacria and Rome. The Grandmaster of the Hospitallers would make a good Anti-Pope and then Pope.

Amaury's method of ruling over child Dukes is a most effective technique.

It's far easier to spank a bratty child-Duke and send him to his room than a 30 something Duke who has a whole army behind him.

Or maybe it's time to pay the Holy Father a visit with your Holy Warriors, just to show him how wrong he is to excommunicate you.....

Just make sure he's not wintering in Canossa - bad things happen there to Emperors & Kings when the Pope is there... :)

As much fun as sacking Rome would be my kings are so far still good Christians. Though if the Church keeps it up that just might change.

Really good stuff you got here. I have a question though, from what I gathered, the Hospitalliers appear to be your vassals, how did you manage that?

Thanks! They were my vassals from day one. It wasn't something I had to actively do.

Great AAR! I'm interested to see how this pans out.

Thank you. I am too! ;)

I guess excommunication is what you get for being possessed, is it not?

That could possibly be part of the problem. Having seizures and speaking gibberish could be constituted as demonic and probably grounds for excommunication.

Haha! The Pope THINKS he's excommunicated you, but in reality, you've excommunicated HIM!

If Philippe the Holy Impaler was still around he'd have some other ideas for the Pope.

I just realized I've nominated you in the AAR contest without ever posted here. So thank you and keep-it up ^ ^

Thanks TK!!! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

God's Kingdom Part 17 - The Name of the Game

I knew that Jerusalem would not survive if I remained excommunicated from the Church. I felt that the Pope had overstepped his authorities and put his petty jealousies towards me over the good of all Christendom. Also it seemed a bit like a shakedown. He knew I would do whatever I had to do to have the excommunication lifted. At least the Pope is a cheap bastard and it only took 20 gold to get him to re-communicate me.
ck2374mar25.jpg

ck2375mar25.jpg

Pope Cheapskate played the whole situation brilliantly, I gave him that.. Not only did he squeeze some gold out of me but he got me to join in a Crusade that badly needed the Jerusalemite armies. No soldiers in the world were more skilled at fighting the infidels as my men were. Up to this point in the Crusade the Scottish king had led the way in supporting the Crusade but even then it was seeming more and more like a lost cause. I planned on changing things and earning even more fame and glory for myself, for Jerusalem, and for God.
ck2377oct25.jpg

I couldn't go on Crusade without the best Muslim killers in the world, the Hospitallers. The Grandmaster let me know that the other two holy orders were just sitting around and champing at the bit to go Crusading. The Hospitallers were frightening enough to have along as allies in war. The Templars and the Teutons fighting as well would surely ensure the deserts of Mauretania covered in the blood and body parts of infidels.
ck2378feb26.jpg

With my levies prepared and the holy orders impatient to begin the slaughter we boarded onto the largest flotilla Jerusalem has ever raised and set sail. The excitement amongst us all built as we debarked on the shores of Mussat. We had arrived and were ready to do God's work.
ck2379feb26.jpg

crusader_3.jpg

Crusaders setting out from Jerusalem

The Crusade had been going on for six years and Mauretania's manpower had been greatly reduced. Because of that we faced little resistance as my forces spread out and began to besiege Muslim lands. Things weren't totally peaceful however and driven by His divine protection I fought with zeal and bravery in the face of the infidels.
ck2383sep65.jpg

Word reached me from my advisers back in Jerusalem that Tripoli is now seen as part of Jerusalem and not Syria. I couldn't help but chuckle imagining the outrage that this must have caused the Caliph of Syria. I took great enjoyment in everything that made Syria's life miserable.
ck2384jan27.jpg

A year after arriving in Mauritania the Muslims have amassed a large enough force that I'm forced to postpone several sieges to deal with them. After several costly battles the infidels are smashed and I was able to get back to my sieges.
ck2385apr27.jpg

800px-Battle_of_Ascalon-engraving.jpg

Crusaders gaining inspiration to battle from the Crusader's cross

Not wanting to be disrupted by further Muslim reinforcements I order the Teutonic Knights to take to the boats and disrupt any Mauretanian armies they see in Iberia marching towards Africa. Over the next months they proved to be skilled sea-raiders that killed thousands of infidels.
ck2387aug27.jpg

crusades17.jpg

Curses! I forgot that before leaving for North Africa I had asked my spymaster to look into the possibility of the Queen of Trinacria having an accident. I managed to get the Duchess of Tripolitania to agree to assist me but no one else was willing to join my plot. Unfortunately Queen Wilmot was well loved by her people. Well the cat was out of the bag and really since I had been let back into the Church I had forgotten all about the scheming bitch. Maybe after the Crusade I would worry about getting revenge.
ck2388dec27.jpg

It was a blow to all of Jerusalem when Vyshata was killed in battle. Not only was he family but a highly capable steward. He would be hard to replace.
ck2389apr28.jpg

Soon after Vyshata died my marshal, Maurice died in a suspicious accident. Though I don't know how accidental a dagger sticking out of his back could be. Everyone was on edge because no one knows who killed Maurice. People even began to wonder if maybe Vyshata wasn't killed by one of our own on the battlefield.
ck2391jul28.jpg

And then my son and heir Phillipe passed! A third death, all from supposedly different causes. The surgeons proclaimed it a natural death but Philippe was not sick in the run up to his passing. I ordered guards around all my family and everyone was looking over their shoulder day and night wondering if they might be the next one to die. I was forced to deal with the passing of my son. To deal with my grief I threw myself into the war, hoping that with every Muslim death my heart would ache a little less.
ck2392apr30.jpg

The King is building up quite a head of paranoia. Afterthis Crusade ends, it might notbe a good idea to be Queen Wilmot the great. To whom will the spoils of battle belong?

The Pope settled for 20 gold. He's a cheap no good extortionist.