+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Movement speed and armour

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Smile Movement speed and armour

Im very interested to know the extent to which using very heavy armour will effect your movement speed. It seems from the live stream that class creation is not effected by money earned through in game success but rather through grinding to get xp and unlock new items and perks.

This is a good system for sure however im worried that if heavy armour does not suitably restrict the maneuverability of its users then after a period of time when many players have unlocked the heavy armour all the game servers will just be full of "tanks" running around bashing each other which is going to get pretty boring pretty fast. So i would just really hope that the classes are balanced well in terms of armour vs speed of movement and that there are strong incentives for people to use light and medium armour as well as heavy armour.

Does anyone has any more detailed info on how this system will work?
    "War does not determine who is right, only who is left"
    Warning!! Warband is highly addictive and may cause obsessive behaviour leading to lack of sleep and hallucinations about finally mastering the throwing axe.

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Heavy armour does restrict your movement speed quite alot, yes. Archers for example do a light jog when they are in the non-sprinting mode however footknights for example do a slower walk when not in sprint mode. I can't really go into much detail but that is a simple answer for you.
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

well that sounds excellent thanks I was just concerned that you would be able to run around in full plate at the same speed as a man wearing a simple padded tunic.
    "War does not determine who is right, only who is left"
    Warning!! Warband is highly addictive and may cause obsessive behaviour leading to lack of sleep and hallucinations about finally mastering the throwing axe.

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

I'm just going to stay out of this.

I'm not going to start this argument again.

But they handled that pretty alright, that's as much as I can say.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Keeping a balance is always good, if there is too many Man at Arms and no Knights. You should have harder time vs other knights, but you need lighter classes aswell and when using a pollaxe it is just a good knight fighter. But you will miss having tankier chars.

Hope that it is like this or something close to it. Remember playing Age of Chivalry, then we had only light-medium armored soldiers. And they had more Knights but kept a balance on things, so we had to switch classes as it would prove diffcult to fight these knights.

hopefully if i ever get into testing i can go an archer and kite and shoot the plated out guys haha xD but ide probably just go cav.

Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I assume the jumping height is also influenced, so I hope there's ladders and stairs enough so archers cant jump their way up to a position that is completely unreachable for the heavy plated knight who forgot to bring a shield.

bringing me to another question, will you be able to pick up stuff from the ground (a shield, a pike, a new weapon....) since, If I'm correct, your weapons can break. And if so, will there be restrictions. In m&b, an footman can't pick up a bow, which is important for the balance of the game, but irl, anyone can pick up a bow, get up a horse etc.. ofc, effectiveness is something else

Quote Originally Posted by tha_jeez View Post
    I assume the jumping height is also influenced, so I hope there's ladders and stairs enough so archers cant jump their way up to a position that is completely unreachable for the heavy plated knight who forgot to bring a shield.

bringing me to another question, will you be able to pick up stuff from the ground (a shield, a pike, a new weapon....) since, If I'm correct, your weapons can break. And if so, will there be restrictions. In m&b, an footman can't pick up a bow, which is important for the balance of the game, but irl, anyone can pick up a bow, get up a horse etc.. ofc, effectiveness is something else
    You will be able to loot weapons from the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by tha_jeez View Post

It may be one of those things I never noticed, but I'm pretty sure a footman in M&B can indeed pick up a bow and shoot it. The problem, however, is that his aim is shite. Perhaps they could handle it in a similar way here.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    MagickaSengokuMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by basmackin View Post
    It may be one of those things I never noticed, but I'm pretty sure a footman in M&B can indeed pick up a bow and shoot it. The problem, however, is that his aim is shite. Perhaps they could handle it in a similar way here.
    Not all footman, IIRC nord inf could pick up a short bow but that was patched out. But in general all infantry in warband can pick up a xbow, some the highest tier xbow some the lowest tier xbow only.

But on topic, if they based this game on Warband, Armor probably will slow you down. Because That is a feature you might say in warband.

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectAngel View Post
    You will be able to loot weapons from the battlefield.
    I think they said you'll be able to loot kits like in Battlefield 2/BC2/3 during the stream. But is what you say just individual weapons, kits, or both?

Magicka

Quote Originally Posted by Cradoc View Post
    I think they said you'll be able to loot kits like in Battlefield 2/BC2/3 during the stream. But is what you say just individual weapons, kits, or both?
    Think they said you only loot the weapon, not his perks etc.
    Knowledge is Power - all the information to War of the Roses so far collected at one place.

Highland skin DLC pack

- What can change the signature of a man?

Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

yeah, that seems more realistic to me, I mean ... you can't suddenly go from a light archer to a heavy armored knight who knows all about horses and nothing about archery

Lead Programmer
    Fatshark

Everything gives encumbrance, especially armour. Encumbrance affects a very big number of things very slightly, so somebody who has a lighter kit will be slightly faster or better at most things. Most things won't individually have a very noticable difference unless you stand them side by side, but since it affects so many things the overall effect should allow us to balance heavy armour and kit appropriately.

Crusader Kings IIKing Arthur IIMount & Blade: Warband

I agree that you shouldn't be able to go from archer to knight, seeing as you would of needed to learn how to ride a horse else you are not going anywhere and if you do the horse will decide not you. Picking up a bow in plate would also be....odd to say the least but I guess it might be possible in reality but we must remember this is a game and things must be balanced else it makes the game unfair and ends up unplayable. Aslong as there is no drastic difference, for example an armored knight who can catch an longbowman then im fine with it personally, but its all early stages so im sure they will work on it.

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Gotta say, just a movement nerf would be boring and wouldn't really help that much. Glad to see we're in Fatshark's capable hands.

Crusader Kings IIKing Arthur IIMount & Blade: Warband

True it would be, I don't think anyone here is saying that if your in armor you should be at walking speed but I think you should atleast be forced to run at a slightly slower speed and not be able to sprint as long but as you said its in there capable hands so I guess we can only spectate on what it will be like in the finish

+ Reply to Thread