• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

springel

Captain
85 Badges
Jan 28, 2012
springelkamp.nl
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Naval support limit

Over the last 20 game years (1499-1520, France) I have seen my naval support limit gradually going down from 54 to 42.

There hasn't been much change in my and vassals territory in Europe (I dipplo-annexed the vassals Provence and Savoie during that time).
I did do some colonising in the Caribbean.
More than half of my provinces turned Reformed and Protestant (I did use the edict of Nantes and a religious tolerance NI to minimise the consequences).

Over that same period my land support limit has grown, as well as my income.

Any idea what causes the reduction in naval support limit?
Could it be a general economic deterioration of my vassals?

Last edited:
By naval supply limit, do you mean naval forcelimit?

Well naval support limit is dependant on religion i suppose.

That might explain it.

Where can I find all these religious modifiers?
I know Protestant is good for Production, Reformed is good for Trade and a bit for Colonisation, Catholic is good for Colonisation and a lot of Papal stuff, but is there a complete overview somewhere?

I was planning to change religion when the large majority of my provinces had gone over, but what are the general arguments fore and against for France? I am already too little narrowminded to get any Missionaries.

That might explain it.

Where can I find all these religious modifiers?
I know Protestant is good for Production, Reformed is good for Trade and a bit for Colonisation, Catholic is good for Colonisation and a lot of Papal stuff, but is there a complete overview somewhere?

I was planning to change religion when the large majority of my provinces had gone over, but what are the general arguments fore and against for France? I am already too little narrowminded to get any Missionaries.
Eu3 wiki said:
naval forcelimit = 0.5 * (sum of base tax + additions such as workshops and CoTs) * %modifiers

Other factors affecting the naval forcelimit:
Only non-colony (pop 1000+) coastal provinces are counted.
Contribution of provinces of a different culture group (even if accepted) or non-state religion is halved.
Contribution of provinces with no land connection to the capital (even on the same continent) is quartered.
Contribution of provinces on a different continent from the capital with a land connection is divided by 20.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Naval_forcelimit#Force_Limit

Ah, so it all comes from the effect of non-state religion coastal provinces.

Thank you.

Any advice on the going Protestant or Reformed decision?

I don't advise it. Unless you realy need uber fleet. And anyway, fleet does not cost too much. If you want to have strongest fleet in the world, then you should revoke edict the nantes and convert all heretics.

As you said yourself, reformed is good for traders and protestant is good for land empires that can focus on production. If you think either of these are more important than the curia/slight colony bonus then go for it.

If you want to have strongest fleet in the world, then you should revoke edict the nantes and convert all heretics.

Convert heretics and then revoke Edict you mean? (according to the decision-description it can only be revoked if there is at most one heretic province in France, or France is not Catholic).

Anyway, I don't have any missionaries to do the conversion; I am too far in the decision tree.